Thread: How do I block an IP?

akastle Guest

Default How do I block an IP?

I noticed as I upgraded today that Zone Alarm said it found a new network. I set up my home router and set up the only network. This new network said the IP was 192.168.1.0 I set up a range that does not include that IP and I do not want to allow it. I am sure I have had or have a root virus and it may have bypassed my security. Where can I block this IP?

Default Re: How do I block an IP?

Quote Originally Posted by akastle View Post
    I noticed as I upgraded today that Zone Alarm said it found a new network. I set up my home router and set up the only network. This new network said the IP was 192.168.1.0 I set up a range that does not include that IP and I do not want to allow it. I am sure I have had or have a root virus and it may have bypassed my security. Where can I block this IP?
    Is this ZAFREE or one of the Paid Versions of ZoneAlarm?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- it is always advisable to list your:OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7), your zonealarm product and it's version number .
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

akastle Guest

Vista, ZA 9.1.007.002. The reason I believe I had a root type virus is I found three process, unrecoghnized in any search, and I have had extreme long pauses when I try to open applications with numerous program failures (including ZA). I have reloaded all but one progarm that has failed, deleted all the programs that are unknown and removed the processes. My router is 192.168.1.254 and I have a range setup for the computers and laptops of 60-80. None of the equipment connected to my computer shows this "0". When zA upgraded it pretty much forced me to allow this IP but then I can't find it anywhere to delete it, block it, whatever.

Thanks for yiour help

garywa Guest

I'm not using the ZA free firewall, but I think this portion may be the same as Internet Security Suite, which is what I have installed.

Try this: blocking IP addresses is done under Expert Rules. It is an involved subject. Open the ZA Control Center and navigate to the Expert option under Firewall. Then, click on the word 'Help' in the lower left corner of the window. That will bring up the first of several help topics discussing Expert Rules.

Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I have not had a reason to set any expert rules, so I don't have any actual experience at it. You could also try searching the web for 'zonealarm expert rules.' I found several tutorials available.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998458848
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

akastle Guest

the ZA free does not give you that option (expert). I tried that before I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by akastle View Post
    the ZA free does not give you that option (expert). I tried that before I posted.
    Sorry but you may be SOL with the ZA Free Basic version..

However, you can Try one of the PAID Versions for Free for 30 day, before you will have to pay for them,

so see if they do what you want, they both have Expert Rules features.

ZoneAlarm 30-Day Free Trial Versions .

DOWNLOAD ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security
    The most comprehensive suite on the market - protects your PC, your browser, and your data.

DOWNLOAD ZoneAlarm® Internet Security Suite
    Essential antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection for your PC.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-download.htm
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 3rd, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: fix Typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zaswing Guest

akastle,
    How do you know that your router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.254?
    Usually we take the default 192,168.1.1 which doesn't mean you can't assign a number other than .1, I certainly did.
    I am not sure you can have computer IPs less than the router number, so with IPs .60-.80 might be an issue.

Your network is being recognized properly by ZA as 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.255, though in the free version it might be the "adapter" thing equal to your computer IP.

Bottom line, if you exclude the ZA-discovered network (.0 at the end), you're killing your communications.
    I maybe thick, but I just can't see why you'd exclude your own router's LAN.

Please do this:
    Click Start, select Run, type "cmd" without the quotes and press Enter.
    On the cmd window type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and with a space before "/"
    The information provided there will tell you what sort of data ZA sees and, most likely, correctly uses. You can copy and paste the information here by using the Edit/copy when you right click the window title bar.
    Last edited by zaswing; December 3rd, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Thread Information