Thread: Anti virus/spyware log reports

morey Guest

Default Anti virus/spyware log reports

I notice that, when viewing my logs for anti virus/spyware, I get the following results:

Type - Action

Update - Update Completed

Scan - Scan Completed

On-Access Scan - Error

That On-Access Scan comes about on boot up. I tried it with Load at Startup checked and with Load at Startup unchecked. Is this a problem or should I just ignore the results? So far after 6 days of ZASS 9.1 running I have not seen any virusses or spyware blocked in the logs. With ZASS 8 I had frequent blocks of virusses/spyware all of which turned out to be false positives after further inquiry. So far no false positives with ZASS 9.1.

I had received warnings from ZASS 9.1 that both Clipmate 7 and TimeLeft 3.41 were using "raw access to the disk." I then authorized these actions in ZASS Program control allowing those programs to do interactions. Those warnings did not appear in ZASS 8. Perhaps, these authorizations have something to do with the result of the boot up On-Access Scan.

I am running Windows XP SP3 and using ZASS 9.1.008.000 Anti-virus/Anti-spyware version 8.0.2.42 DAT file version 998546112 without the Toolbar installed.

ZASS seems to be running correctly since the Task Manager shows continuous activity for vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe. However, the hard disk seems much quieter since I upgraded from ZASS 8.

My cookie control and site access is done through MS IE 8.0.6001.18702. Could that be blocking ZASS 9.1 in some way? ZASS 8 used to detect "spyware cookies" daily which I then deleted. ZASS 9.1 does not look for those cookies anymore. I have MS IE 8.0.6001.18702 privacy options set to Medium which may allow those cookies while blocking 3rd party cookies.
    Last edited by morey; December 5th, 2009 at 05:39 AM.

Default Re: Anti virus/spyware log reports

Hi!
    posted many times... sticky thread here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=71796

"Raw access control" is a new security control in version 9. If you trust those programs you should allow access to disk.

Did you actually given to ZA the time to learn your system (program control to "auto")?
    It is important to avoid many pop-ups that you are not sure how to answer.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 5th, 2009 at 05:40 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

morey Guest

Fax,

Thanks. That reference completely answers my question. I did an upgrade rather than a fresh install so all my prior settings were transferred.

The only new flags were for those "raw disk accesses" for version 9.1 which version 8 did not address.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information