Thread: View Properties Link Hangs ZA

bunnyfugger Guest

Default View Properties Link Hangs ZA

Hi All,

I've noticed a problem with ZAISS 9.1 and reported it to ZA Tech Support who didn't seem to be able to reproduce it. I'm posting here to see whether the same issue is affecting anyone else before I reply to Tech Support's latest e-mail.

The problem occurs during pop-up security alerts from the taskbar icon. When these alerts occur and I try the View Properties link, ZA hangs. The Allow/Deny buttons become inoperable and the alert remains on the screen whatever I do. Trying to start other programs (such as Process Explorer) results in the program name appearing in TaskManager, however the GUI never opens.

I even tried to shut down ZA but with no effect, and trying to shut down the system gets as far as the icons and taskbar disappearing, but then hangs showing only the wallpaper and an egg-timer cursor.

I had to eventually do a hard rest and afterwards, the system came back OK.

The problem occurred for me on alerts from GUSVC and Adobe Reader with about a two week gap between during which I avoided using the view properties link.

If it does happen to you, I would attempt a system shutdown pretty soon afterward as when it first occurred and I continued trying to open and close programs, to try and find out what was happening, the mouse and keyboard eventually became unresponsive.

I used the view properties a lot in version 8 and would love to do so again in version 9.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards....

Windows XP Pro SP3 (Fully Patched)

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998543552
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

Default Re: View Properties Link Hangs ZA

Hello,

Just tested on our system with same OS and ZA version as yours.

We also cannot recreate this issue.

If this was a general bug in ZA then tens of thousands of ZA users would be contacting us about this.

We have not heard about any such issue with viewing properties from our alerts during our 9.0, 9.1 beta nor after its public release.

We suggest you un-install your version and sign up and install the new beta version and test that.

If you have the problem then you can use the special beta feedback which goes to development. If they can recreate the issue then there might be a possibility of it being addressed in 2010.

Forum Moderator.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

Question Re: View Properties Link Hangs ZA

Question - when I logged into the ZA beta page, all I saw was a beta for ZA Extreme & ZA Antivirus (not sure what that is?) not a beta for Security Suite.

Did I miss something, or are you suggesting uninstalling the public release of Security Suite and then installing the beta release of Extreme

Thanks,
    Gary

bunnyfugger Guest

Hi Jordy & gary,

I think I'll wait for a while before uninstalling and installing the beta as you suggest. There's hardly been time for anyone to read about the problem yet and I'd like to give it a while to see if anyone else replies.

From what gary says, there's also a problem with getting hold of the ZAISS beta.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards...

This is just a suggestion Bunny

You could run command line utility : chkdsk c: /f /r .Or you could do it this way.Click on My Computer and right click on Local Disk and select Properties.

In the hard disk properties dialog, click the Tools tab and then click on the button that says Check Now

Check both options and click Start. Chkdsk will then complain that it can't do its job because the disk is in use and chkdsk wants exclusive access to your hard disk.

You now need to shut down your computer.Start your computer to let it run.

You could also check Windows File Protection : Start / Run and enter sfc /scannow

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 4th, 2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: rephrase & added it

There only a beta for ZAX and ZAAV

We don't have betas for ZAAS or Pro or Free ZA.

If there is a problem in ZASS or Pro it will be in ZAX

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    There only a beta for ZAX and ZAAV

We don't have betas for ZAAS or Pro or Free ZA.

If there is a problem in ZASS or Pro it will be in ZAX

Forum Moderator
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

bunnyfugger Guest

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try running chkdsk and sfc, don't have time as I'm up to my neck in work at the moment (hence not posting here for a while). Will post back with results when done. I'll also be back trying to help others when workload permits.

Regards...

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyfugger View Post
    Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try running chkdsk and sfc, don't have time as I'm up to my neck in work at the moment (hence not posting here for a while). Will post back with results when done. I'll also be back trying to help others when workload permits.

Regards...
    Bunny, Also take a look at your Event Viewer / System for Error.Right click and click on Error Properties for Description of error.

Don't rule out malware also.

Have a nice Day

Thread Information