Thread: Message: "the product identification for your current copy...

mangotango Guest

Default Message: "the product identification for your current copy...

I have the new 'free' zone alarm.

I have set 'preferences' to update/manual so it should not keep checking for newer versions as of course I will do this manually when it suits me

However I keep getting the pop-up message "the product identification for your current copy ...sent to zone alarm.. etc etc

Why is ZA checking for newer versions when I have the preferences set to 'manual'.

Default Re: Message: "the product identification for your current copy...

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango View Post
    I have the new 'free' zone alarm.

I have set 'preferences' to update/manual so it should not keep checking for newer versions as of course I will do this manually when it suits me

However I keep getting the pop-up message "the product identification for your current copy ...sent to zone alarm.. etc etc

Why is ZA checking for newer versions when I have the preferences set to 'manual'.
    There has not been an Update to ZA Free since March..

8.0.298.000 was released to the public on March 23, 2009. For changes in this version, click here

The Automatic Check for Updates is Only activated by Checkpoint when they send a Product update to the Update servers..

If your ZAFree is actually Checking for Product Updates that often then maybe your ZA Configuration Database may be corrupted?

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up

4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mangotango Guest

Hello George thanks for the reply. I did a 'reset' and it has not solved the problem. I confirm I have the version of Free ZA you stated. In 'preferences' I have to 'check for product updates manually' ie not automatically.

Despite this, I keep getting pop-up messages saying' the product ID for your currect copy of ZA is ready to be sent to ZA to see if you have the latest version .... do not send/send'

I can of course stop this pop-up by ticking the box but I wonder why it is even checking when I have the preference set to 'manual' I only ask because I am on mobile internet and pay per kb and am trying to stop unnecessary data being sent. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango View Post
    Hello George thanks for the reply. I did a 'reset' and it has not solved the problem. I confirm I have the version of Free ZA you stated. In 'preferences' I have to 'check for product updates manually' ie not automatically.

Despite this, I keep getting pop-up messages saying' the product ID for your currect copy of ZA is ready to be sent to ZA to see if you have the latest version .... do not send/send'

I can of course stop this pop-up by ticking the box but I wonder why it is even checking when I have the preference set to 'manual' I only ask because I am on mobile internet and pay per kb and am trying to stop unnecessary data being sent. Thanks

I'm sorry that did not work..

My only other solution is to do a Clean Uninstall and Re-install of ZAFree..

The last version of ZA Free that I installed on any of my Computers was Ver. 6.xx so I can't say if There may be some Marketing Pop-up added to the current ZAFree, The Paid versions of ZA are the only versions that have access to Tech Support..
    GeorgeV

FWIW I have ZA free 8.0.298 with manual update set and have never had that popup. XP pro SP3.

roncan Guest

I have the exact same problem as mangotango. Recently, I bought a second hand Toshiba laptop P300 with vista home premium (64 bit). (Prior to the computer being sold, I believe the restore partition was used to revert the computer back to it's factory state.) Upon receiving the computer in this factory state, the first software I installed was zonealarm free firewall 8.0.298.000. Immediately after installing the firewall, I started to get the problem described by mangotango.

I have doubts the problem is caused by a corruption of the zonealarm configuration database since the problem started right after the installation of zonealarm on a "clean" computer.

Note, when I installed the zonealarm free firewall, I simply double clicked the installation program. Since then, I have learned that some programs, that want to write to the "Program Files" folder, are best run if one right clicks them and selects "run as administrator". I doubt this was an issue with the installation of the firewall since, vista prompted me for this permission right after the installation began.

I have been a long time proponent and fan of the zonealarm free firewall. Every computer I setup with software, the first program I install is the zonealarm firewall. Throughout the years, I have installed many different versions on many different machines, from years ago with win98 (5.5.094.000), to NT4.0 and XP (6.5.731.000) and now vista home premium (8.0.298.000). For every version on every machine, I would always select the manual update option and only now, with this newer version, 8.0.298.000, has this problem arisen.

I wonder if the problem is a result of an "improvement" intentionally designed into the product or if it is an issue related with vista.

What operating system are you using mangotango?

Despite my doubts about the problem being a corrupted configuration database, I will try your recommendation George. If that doesn't work, I will uninstall 8.0.298.000 and reinstall it or perhaps 6.5.731.000.

Anyone have a link to the uninstall procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by roncan View Post
    I have the exact same problem as mangotango. Recently, I bought a second hand Toshiba laptop P300 with vista home premium (64 bit). (Prior to the computer being sold, I believe the restore partition was used to revert the computer back to it's factory state.) Upon receiving the computer in this factory state, the first software I installed was zonealarm free firewall 8.0.298.000. Immediately after installing the firewall, I started to get the problem described by mangotango.

"Edited for Brivety"

Despite my doubts about the problem being a corrupted configuration database, I will try your recommendation George. If that doesn't work, I will uninstall 8.0.298.000 and reinstall it or perhaps 6.5.731.000.

Anyone have a link to the uninstall procedure?
    Here is the Uninstall proceedure I use for ZA 7.0 / 8.0/ 9.1

The simplest procedure is to :

1.Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZAFREE 9.1 http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

2. Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information