Thread: ZoneAlarm Free Win 7 Does Not Block Outgoing

oldnslow Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free Win 7 Does Not Block Outgoing

ZoneAlarm Free on Windows 7 does not Block any Windows Programs. All Windows Programs get Automatically added to Programs as they are used. Removing Programs from ZoneAlarm list has no affect, they just get added back in. Even with the program access set to Ask still no Alert is generated. Even Programs like NotePad get added to the ZoneAlarm program list just by Opening a file and saveing it.
    Also Engage Internet Lock has no affect on the Windows Programs. This Includes Internet Explorer, Media Player, Add-on Installer, TCP/IP Ping Command etc.
    This is the Free version 9.1.007.002 and I do not see any way of turning this Automatic allow everything mode OFF. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free Win 7 Does Not Block Outgoing

ZA just lists all the programs that have been or are being used, it does not mean those programs are using or attempting to connect to the internet or the trusted zone. You will only get an alarm (if set to ask) when they try to do so.

oldnslow Guest

After reviewing my post I guess that it was not clear.
    This version of Zonealarm does NOT generate any Alerts for any Windows products that connect to the Internet or Trusted Zone regardless of their Zonealarm program Access settings.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have XP pro and I just checked with IE8 and with Network diagnosttic both set set to ask in trusted and internet zone, you are right, it connected without an alarm. Very odd.

ZA free 9.1.007.002, Internet zone security set to high, trusted zone security set to medium.

garywa Guest

Your observation may be correct in the free firewall. See the Note near the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...d-firewall.htm

"Note: Outbound protection (Program Control) and OSFirewall are not included in the basic ZoneAlarm free firewall."

But then, on this webpage:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm

it says, "Blocks inbound and outbound traffic threats."

So apparently, outbound program control & OSFirewall are treated differently than traffic threats.

I don't use the free version myself, so I don't have any hands-on experience to share with you.
    Last edited by garywa; December 11th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.

After being alerted by this thread, I've switched back to ZA pro (had to renew my sub, which had run out, hence had been using ZA free).

Thread Information