Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truevector not loading at boot up.

Default Re: Truevector not loading at boot up.

I see that I am not alone with this problem. I have to say that although I have used ZA for years without any problems, technical assistance is sorely lacking with Checkpoint. As you can see I posted this problem at the beginning of December and although a few nice people have offered suggestions, where are the tech support people from Checkpoint? Is this forum the only way to get tech help? Does Checkpoint not have a tech person monitoring this forum?
    I'm of the mind to cancel my subscription and try some of the other highly rated firewall programs instead, if this is the level of help one gets when you put your money down to buy Checkpoint's products.

Quote Originally Posted by stanton View Post
    Does Checkpoint not have a tech person monitoring this forum?
    No, the ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users here.
    With a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by stanton View Post
    where are the tech support people from Checkpoint? Is this forum the only way to get tech help? Does Checkpoint not have a tech person monitoring this forum?.
    I agree with Guru Fax;

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

1.) You can click on the Support Links in the Guru's signature, or

2.) go to www.zonealarm.com and click on the Support Tab at the top of the web page..

3.) if you do not get a Responce here in this User Forum from any other User, it usually means, a.) maybe nobody has an answer for your problem? or b.) maybe they need more details about your computer and problem?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 22nd, 2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

JNicoll Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JNicoll View Post
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000

I've got Win XP Pro SP3 on an AMD Sempron 1.8GHz machine, with 1 GB RAM.

I'm seeing the same in the event log, starting from 13th Dec which is the day after I upgraded to V9 of ZAP. Eventlog records go back to mid October, so I think it's reasonable to say this is a ZAP V9 problem.
    I spent some hours using 'LiveChat' to talk to ZoneLabs' support people. They advised me first to turn off a hidden setting that generates debug info (which apparently shouldn't be on) and reboot. That didn't help.

Then they suggested I reset the configuration which would force ZAP to start again as if a fresh install. I was unhappy at prospect of losing settings, but they told me I could do a backup from Overview->Preferences though they'd not encourage anyone to do a reload in case the settings had been corrupt. So I did the reset (on a different computer with a simpler setup, which has only ever had ZAP 9.1 on it, and had also had the timeouts). It didn't fix them.

Then they told me to disable nearly all the startup options (not ZAP itself!) and services via MSCONFIG. I did that and the timeout problem vanished.

However in the next few hours I added stuff back in to MSCONFIG one program at a time, and rebooted each time, and still no timeout. Then I added groups of things, rebooted, still no timeout. Then I enabled all the programs again, rebooted, no timeout.

I went back to the machine I'd first seen the timeouts on. Saved settings, turned off debug, reset the config, rebooted, let the ZA wizard do a default install, rebooted (no problems), reloaded the saved settings, rebooted (no problems). Note that on this machine I didn't bother fiddling with the (many) programs defined in its Startup options.

It looks to me as if the problem has been fixed by the save settings, reset, reload settings process. Turning debug off as well may have helped, but didn't do any good in isolation earlier.

I'm not really sure what I think about this - glad to have a solution, hopeful that it will last, annoyed that it was necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by JNicoll View Post
    It looks to me as if the problem has been fixed by the save settings, reset, reload settings process. Turning debug off as well may have helped, but didn't do any good in isolation earlier.

I'm not really sure what I think about this - glad to have a solution, hopeful that it will last, annoyed that it was necessary?
    Thank you for your Feedback..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information