Thread: Access Problems after Update

frostbite Guest

Default Access Problems after Update

After updating ZoneAlarm Internet Security to 9.1.008.000 from 8.0.298.035 (clean install as outlined on this forum using the ZoneAlarm Removal Tool) I am experiencing the following access issues with Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.6001.18702):

• Unable to run Windows Update from IE, receive error number 0X800A0046 but when I check the settings as outlined to correct the problem I find the settings are correct. For me this is not a high priority problem as Windows Update still runs in the background and I am receiving updates.

• Unable to send a web page or a link to a web page via email from IE. I am using Outlook Express 6 version 6.00.2900.5515 for email. Again this was not a high priority problem as I can work around this.

• Unable to save PDF files from all websites. I can only save PDF files when I right click on the link to the file and use the “save target as” option. Unfortunately I cannot always save PDF files this way. Some websites only allow a PDF file to be saved when they are open in IE using the “save a copy icon”. After I attempt to save a PDF file this way the file is not present in the folder it was saved to. In fact if I go to Start-Documents-Name of PDF File I just saved to open the file I get the following message “pdf specified in the target box is not valid make sure the path and file name is correct”. Windows Search is also unable to locate the file but if I try to save the file again to the same folder using the “save a copy icon” the file is present in the folder.

I had the same problems when I updated to ZAIS 9.0114.0 a few months ago. I should have reported this then but I was very busy at the time so I just re-installed 8.0.298.035 to take care it. I was hoping this latest version of ZAIS would have addressed these problems.

Any advice to solve this would be appreciated as I have been unable to find any solutions on the forum.

Windows XP Home ver. 5.1.2600 SP3
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite ver. 9.1.008.000
    Internet Explorer 8
    Outlook Express 6

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Access Problems after Update

If you are willing, you can try this approach for your pdf/ file issue. Basically: un-install your current ZA, re-install but without the AdvancedDownloadProtection/ download manager/ Security Toolbar installed. One of the differences between 8.0 and 9.0 is the introduction of the SecurityToolbar/ limited ForceField type download manager.
    1- click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=71543 <> see the option during the re-install.
    2 - when re-install ZA -use IE8, no other download managers, web accelerator.
    __________________________________________________ _
    IE update issus:
    - click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthrea...soft+catalogue <> uncheck that Microsoft option in ZA.
    - IE8: three green bars, three green checks across, ? , green check -mail.
    - before/ during a manual Microsoft update - you can lower "ZA program control" from 'high' to 'medium' see if this helps.
    - check program 'Windows Update' in program control and make sure full access, no blocks - watch during manual update and make sure other programs involved are full access, no blocks (sometimes auto-configurations by ZA program control are -incorrect)
    Last edited by naivemelody; December 9th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.

frostbite Guest

naivemelody:

Thank you for the advice.

A Clean Install of ZoneAlarm Internet Security without the ZoneAlarm Toolbar solved all the access problems I was having. Only problem without the ZoneAlarm Toolbar I have lost some of the protection provided by the Security Suite. I assume my computer is now vulnerable to such things as “Drive-By Download/Install” threats on the internet. It would be nice to be able to have the ZoneAlarm Toolbar installed and be able to temporarily disable it when I need to save PDF files using the “save a copy icon” method but I have not been able to figure out how to do this. I tried unchecking ZoneAlarm Toolbar from the View dropdown menu in IE8 but it did not resolve the problem.

I should also mention that when I uninstalled ZoneAlarm using the removal tool I noticed ZoneAlarm Toolbar was still present when I checked in Add/Remove Programs and therefore I used Add/Remove Programs remove it. I also have Windows Defender installed on my computer but it has never caused any problems that I know of with ZoneAlarm.

Internet Explorer 8
    Outlook Express 6

naivemelody Guest

Thumbs up Re: ZA SecurityToolbar access issues

Glad to hear your access issues are resolved.

I have the full stand-alone ForceField + ZA Pro which does offer full 'virtualization' of the browser/ protection of “Drive-By Download/Install” threats; the ForceField toolbar in mine has more grandulated user options than the limited Security Toolbar in the 9.0/ 9.1 series (except ZAX) - I can turn-off/ turn-on ForceField and use other options more easily and readily.

It is a good possibility that future version updates will offer - the user the ability to turn-off and turn-on the ZA Security Toolbar as easily as a stand-alone ForceField toolbar.

At your discretion, you do have the ability to add/ purchase a stand-alone ForceField to your ZA Suite to further increase your protection level. (SeniorMember SkySoldiers has ZA Suite + ForceField - I 'think' it's a nice combination - offers more choice/ options.) [ sidenote: with ForceField in place - it does offer protection against those "scareware/ fake anti-virus pop-ups" malware that is a current scourge - simply close the ForceField protected browser and clear virtual data, easy. I've actually come across 2 of them, and simply closed the browser and that's it]

Well, thanks for the feedback, nice details.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    NaiveMelody NYC - 12-11-09 - Under My Thumb - The Rolling Stones
    Last edited by naivemelody; December 11th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.

frostbite Guest

naivemelody:

Once again thank you for your advice and help.

My current licence for ZAIS (3 user) expires in just over 70 days. I just installed a competitors Internet Security Suite (3 user) on another one of my computers. I think what I will do is install the competitors suite on this computer which I use to download the PDF files.

I consider myself a fairly long time user of ZoneAlarm (over 8 years if I remember correctly) and I have not given up on the product. In fact I have a new 3 user boxed edition of ZAIS which I will be installing on some of my computers. I hope you are correct and future updates offer the on/off Toolbar option. If not I guess I may just have to upgrade.

Thread Information