Thread: ZAP Abandons Temporary Files

cwha Guest

Default ZAP Abandons Temporary Files

My ZoneAlarm Pro 9.1.008.000 zclient.exe creates at each boot a temporary file but does not remove it at computer shut down.

Because of this defect, these abandoned temporary files accumulate in C:\Documents and Settings\[windows-userid]\Local Settings\Temp and must be removed manually.

Examples:

~DFF33D.tmp
    ~DFEEB1.tmp
    ~DFA34C.tmp

The vsmon.exe executable creates a temporary file (e.g. ZLT06b44.TMP) in C:\WINDOWS\Temp at each boot but does remove it at normal shut down.

XP Home SP3

Default Re: ZAP Abandons Temporary Files

Quote Originally Posted by cwha View Post
    My ZoneAlarm Pro 9.1.008.000 zclient.exe creates at each boot a temporary file but does not remove it at computer shut down.

Because of this defect, these abandoned temporary files accumulate in C:\Documents and Settings\[windows-userid]\Local Settings\Temp and must be removed manually.

Examples:

~DFF33D.tmp
    ~DFEEB1.tmp
    ~DFA34C.tmp

The vsmon.exe executable creates a temporary file (e.g. ZLT06b44.TMP) in C:\WINDOWS\Temp at each boot but does remove it at normal shut down.

XP Home SP3
    Some temp files will be in use.

Go to Start / Run and Type %temp% and click OK

Select all of these files and delete them.

When I clean out the temp files the following can't be remove.IswTmp and ~DF7221.tmp.They are in use.Don't worry about them.You're OK.

BTW : Forgot to mention, If you delete them in safe mode.They will recreate once rebooted.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue.If your license is current contact Support.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day

Charles_ B

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.5
    ForceField Version 1.5.53.49 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998527712
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 4th, 2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

cwha Guest

Charles_ B pointed out that “Some temp files will be in use” and advised, “Don't worry about them.”

Let me be clear. ZAP’s zclient.exe creates at each boot a temporary file but does not remove it at computer shut down. If you boot daily, you’ll have 365 of them in a year.

This is a defect in zclient.exe that should be removed.

Because of this defect, these abandoned temporary files accumulate and must be removed manually, which I do.

Charles_ B also suggested contacting ZAP Technical Support.

Quote Originally Posted by cwha View Post
    Charles_ B pointed out that “Some temp files will be in use” and advised, “Don't worry about them.”

Let me be clear. ZAP’s zclient.exe creates at each boot a temporary file but does not remove it at computer shut down. If you boot daily, you’ll have 365 of them in a year.

This is a defect in zclient.exe that should be removed.

Because of this defect, these abandoned temporary files accumulate and must be removed manually, which I do.

Charles_ B also suggested contacting ZAP Technical Support.
    Try to reset.

The database could be corrupt.Try resetting this way.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do not restore your settings you could reintroduce the corruption.

If this doesn't work contact Technical Support.You have the link.

Have a nice Day

cwha Guest

As part of a KAV upgrade, I’ve now done a clean re-install of ZoneAlarm Pro. ZAP’s zclient.exe still does not remove its temporary file at computer shut down.

Hi!
    temp folder are designed for this purpose and various software uses them including ZA. You can set your system to clean temp folder automatically (e.g. windows 7) or install free application that will schedule it for you (e.g. the free www.ccleaner.com).

Please note that removing temp files in use by ZA may corrupt or damage the ZA settings. Removing forcefield temp files may create problems in web pages displaying (always use the "clean virtual data" option).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

On my 2 systems, that temp folder also contains "leftovers" from Adobe, Java, Garmin, etc.

My point being that other software vendors also leave temp files behind, not just ZA. That doesn't make any of them right or wrong for doing so, it just makes it "the way it is."

That's why I have used CCleaner for years. It deletes those ZA and other temporary files left behind by many software providers.

EDIT: fax and I must have been reading each others mind and hit the "Submit" button about the same time.
    Last edited by garywa; December 11th, 2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Almost a dup entry

Quote Originally Posted by garywa View Post
    EDIT: fax and I must have been reading each others mind and hit the "Submit" button about the same time.
    Yeah...

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bohemian_one Guest

I agree with garywa. Each day, many application software packages leave junk files on a computer. Browsers leave a large amount of trash files.

I've also used CCleaner for years. It removes all the left behind junk that clogs a machine. It can be customized to leave specific files and passwords, while deleting unnecessary trash.

I'd suggest using the Slim version of CCleaner. http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

CCleaner deletes files that are best deleted on a regular basis, especially I.E.'s index.dat. (This file is recreated the next time I.E. is started.) Keeps Micro$oft from spying on your browsing habits. I also leave Hotfix uninstallers & ZAP logs. When in doubt, leave files by unchecking cleaner options.

If you're not computer savy, stay away from the registry cleaner feature. If you decide to use it, either create a system restore point or export a pre-cleaned registry backup.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian_one View Post
    I agree with garywa. Each day, many application software packages leave junk files on a computer. Browsers leave a large amount of trash files.

I've also used CCleaner for years. It removes all the left behind junk that clogs a machine. It can be customized to leave specific files and passwords, while deleting unnecessary trash.

I'd suggest using the Slim version of CCleaner. http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

CCleaner deletes files that are best deleted on a regular basis, especially I.E.'s index.dat. (This file is recreated the next time I.E. is started.) Keeps Micro$oft from spying on your browsing habits. I also leave Hotfix uninstallers & ZAP logs. When in doubt, leave files by unchecking cleaner options.

If you're not computer savy, stay away from the registry cleaner feature. If you decide to use it, either create a system restore point or export a pre-cleaned registry backup.
    I use CCleaner on a regular basis.I also use Start / Run and Type %temp% to clean temp files.

I agree with you that some registry cleaners are to aggressive.

I only use the Registry tab when I have uninstalled programs.Never had issues.You do have option to backup.Which I do.

I also backup full images using Acronis to external USB drive very often.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 12th, 2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: extra info

Thread Information