Thread: Can't access Internet Explorer after update

oldnews Guest

Default Can't access Internet Explorer after update

I am suddenly having problems accessing Internet Explorer (server error) on an older Dell Dimension desktop L1000R running WIndows 2000 Pro, ZA Client Version 7.0.4.08.000 (firewall only active) with AVG Free 9.0.0.709 anti-virus/spyware.

This security software had been working fine for more than a year (ever since my tech informed me that ZA was no longer supporting Windows 2000 and loaded the AVG.) However in the last couple of days I have a) updated Windows with the new MSFT patches, b) updated AVG to 9 and c) updated (or tried to) ZA.

This morning when I turned the computer on, it seemed generally very slow and it was difficult to run Outlook; an error message came on saying that avgsomethingorother had caused a serious error and suggested I disable this program; I agreed and then Outlook ran fine. But I am still having problems with IE. A few times by restarting I got it to open and run for a time, but then it freezes and hangs and ventually refuses to boot up at all.

Another weird thing happened. ZA seems to have awakened - that is it started turning red and green in the tray and told me it had an update to download. I did attempt to download this but not sure it actually worked and no idea what it would have been updating. (Belarc Advisor would tell me this, but it can't connect to the server either. Not sure it matters.)

So my question is simple: Is there something obvious here that I can do myself to fix this access problem without making it even worse? Or should I just bite the bullet and go out and get a new PC with OS 7 and have somebody install ZA and hopefully not have any problems (?) (Had been hoping not to have to do this until after the holidays.)

findley Guest

Default Re: Can't access Internet Explorer after update

Quote Originally Posted by oldnews View Post
    I am suddenly having problems accessing Internet Explorer (server error) on an older Dell Dimension desktop L1000R running WIndows 2000 Pro, ZA Client Version 7.0.4.08.000 (firewall only active) with AVG Free 9.0.0.709 anti-virus/spyware.

This security software had been working fine for more than a year (ever since my tech informed me that ZA was no longer supporting Windows 2000 and loaded the AVG.) However in the last couple of days I have a) updated Windows with the new MSFT patches, b) updated AVG to 9 and c) updated (or tried to) ZA.

This morning when I turned the computer on, it seemed generally very slow and it was difficult to run Outlook; an error message came on saying that avgsomethingorother had caused a serious error and suggested I disable this program; I agreed and then Outlook ran fine. But I am still having problems with IE. A few times by restarting I got it to open and run for a time, but then it freezes and hangs and ventually refuses to boot up at all.

Another weird thing happened. ZA seems to have awakened - that is it started turning red and green in the tray and told me it had an update to download. I did attempt to download this but not sure it actually worked and no idea what it would have been updating. (Belarc Advisor would tell me this, but it can't connect to the server either. Not sure it matters.)

So my question is simple: Is there something obvious here that I can do myself to fix this access problem without making it even worse? Or should I just bite the bullet and go out and get a new PC with OS 7 and have somebody install ZA and hopefully not have any problems (?) (Had been hoping not to have to do this until after the holidays.)
    Hi oldnews,
    Unless you or your tech are adept in keeping older versions of computers running with older versions of software, IMHO your best way forward is to upgrade to a new computer. In your post, you seem to be indicating that's the direction you were heading in after the holidays. You may also be interested in something I've found on internet explorer stalling running AVG 9 http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free...=show&id=32109 You may also be interested in a forum on Questions and Advice For Buying a New Computer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum171.html

Enjoy your day,
    Findley
    Last edited by findley; December 13th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Thread Information