Thread: Don't understand alerts

Hybrid View

PhilipSK Guest

Default Don't understand alerts

I do not usually understand the alerts for the free ZoneAlarm firewall. I know this is the most basic thing imaginable, but I have not found enough information about it.

I do not understand about incoming and outgoing programs, or the Trusted Zone. Googling the alerts sometimes helps, but how do I know if the information I find is even correct? I don't really want to have to spend a lot of time learning about ports and, IP addresses, and other technical stuff.

Default Re: Don't understand alerts

Hi!
    one of the options in each alert window is to push on "more info". This will help you to understand what is the alert about.

Whenever you have time, lean about ZA basic functions. From the main ZA windows press F1, look into "ZA software basics" (contents tab)

Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 11th, 2009 at 08:22 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

PhilipSK Guest

Usually there is no information provided by ZoneAlarm about the alert.

Example? You have to press a button to get more information

Fax

PhilipSK Guest

Checking for more information doesn't help. I don't remember ZoneAlarm ever having any information about the programs alerts me about. For example I got an alert saying: "CEEment is trying to access the Internet". I check for more info: "SmartDefense Advisor is not able to provide specific information about this program". It says to deny it if I don't know what it is. Which, of course, I don't.

Hi!
    probably ZAfree is not for you then. May be better your OS firewall directly?

You may need help from someone near you with a little knowledge of a PC and the software in it.

Sorry,
    Fax

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipSK View Post
    Checking for more information doesn't help. I don't remember ZoneAlarm ever having any information about the programs alerts me about. For example I got an alert saying: "CEEment is trying to access the Internet". I check for more info: "SmartDefense Advisor is not able to provide specific information about this program". It says to deny it if I don't know what it is. Which, of course, I don't.
    Google is your friend. On the rare occasion that I get a ZA pop-up like that, I imediately head to Google and start reading the results.

For CEEment, I found that it is an HP program called Customer Experience Enhancement, part of Total Care Advisor, Health Check, etc. So I would say that you have an HP computer and this is one of the "bloatware" programs that probably came pre-installed from HP.

So now you have to ask yourself if this HP program is something you use or need. That is a personal choice. If you decide to keep this HP program installed, then you will probably want to allow it to access the internet.

But, these pre-installed programs are ones that I personally don't like. They start up each time you boot your PC, consume memory and CPU cycles. Unless they are absolutely essential to running the PC, I typically uninstall them - but that's me.

Once I find out who owns the software (in this case HP) and if I really don't know much about what it does or why its there, I will post a question on the HP user help forum and ask. This helps me understand if I want to let this thing loose on my PC or not.

One good thing about these ZA pop-ups is that ZA will let me know what is running in the background on my PC (taking up valuable resources) that I may not have even known was running. Then I get to investigate and decide if I want to keep it or not.

Thread Information