Thread: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

tusharfrompune Guest

Unhappy "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

Hi.

My system runs Windows XP SP3 with Avira AntiVir as an antivirus and Spybot S&D as an antispyware. I downloaded the latest version of ZA and installed it. After installation, the ZA tray icon displays the above message and obviously doesn't go any further.

I scanned your forums for an answer, tried a few things but doesn't work for me. I see the topic http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=63698 has been referenced almost everywhere where this issue has been encountered, and I did try to follow the steps, however my issue has differences than this thread notes.

Firstly, the file vsdatant.sys is already present in c:\windows\system32, and (surprisingly?) not present in c:\windows\system32\zonelabs.
    Next, in my Device Manager, vsdatant is working fine, however there seems to be the same problem (as described in the said post for vsdatant) for 'Serial'. I dont know if this is in any way related to ZA. In short, no issues with vsdatant in Device Manager.

Coming back to the issue I am facing, my task manager shows vsmon.exe appearing/disappearing every few seconds repeatedly. Services panel shows TrueVector Internet Service (vsmon.exe) trying to start itself and fail eventually, and repeating the process (hence the appearance/disappearance in task manager). When i try to start it manually, it gives me the error "Failed to start service, the process vsmon.exe has terminated unexpectedly" Finally the event log simply reports "the process vsmon.exe has terminated unexpectedly, it has done this xx times", xx being a number rising with the time my system is up. Again, no references to vsdatant.
    Finally, while uninstalling ZA, i get the Windows error message "vsmon.exe has terminated unexpectedly" (didnt catch the exact message, but its the box where it gives you the error details) and the only button 'Close'. And then ZA uninstalls.

I tried reinstalling ZA after enabling/disabling antivirus/antispyware/other startup items without any difference whatsoever. Redownloaded a fresh copy of ZA with the same pain.

So here i am hoping to get this issue resolved, as i've already tried replacing ZA with other softwares for a firewall, but i keep coming back to ZA simply because it is the best (I had it working perfectly on my old system )

Default Re: "Protection Is Up, UI is Initializing"

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

UI is initialising when I hover over it, and never completes the Initializing procces,
    Usually indicate 1.) a Bad or incomplete Install of ZAISS or 2.) Too many other Security programs installed or conflict with Pre-installed Security programs..

ZAISS will Automaticly Turn OFF Windows Firewall durring the Install process, but if you have any other pre-installed Firewall or Anti-Virus Security programs they must be Uninstalled first..

ONLY one Firewall and One Anti-virus..

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tusharfrompune Guest

Thanks for replying.

However, I do not quite see a solution here. As i mentioned, I have only one antivirus (Avira AntiVir), and no other firewall software installed. The installation of ZA proceeds normally without any errors.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by tusharfrompune View Post
    Thanks for replying.

However, I do not quite see a solution here. As i mentioned, I have only one antivirus (Avira AntiVir), and no other firewall software installed. The installation of ZA proceeds normally without any errors.

Any other suggestions?
    in your previous message you said:

"Windows XP SP3 with Avira AntiVir as an antivirus and Spybot S&D as an antispyware"

Check your other Security Programs ansd see if they are Locking out zoneAlarm?

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV,ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZAAV?ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    GeorgeV

tusharfrompune Guest

Yes I gave that a shot, uninstalled Spybot & Avira individually and then installed ZA, but without any success. Same problem, vsmon.exe keeps on trying to start itself and fails, with the event log still reporting "the process vsmon.exe has terminated unexpectedly".

Quote Originally Posted by tusharfrompune View Post
    Yes I gave that a shot, uninstalled Spybot & Avira individually and then installed ZA, but without any success. Same problem, vsmon.exe keeps on trying to start itself and fails, with the event log still reporting "the process vsmon.exe has terminated unexpectedly".
    Please Contact Tech Support directly, with Full details of your Computer, Software and Problem..

Click the Support link in my Signature..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information