Thread: Urgent! Advice needed!

kassarin Guest

Exclamation Urgent! Advice needed!

Hi, my computer recently contracted the msn virus. I have a feeling this virus is quite new.

Known files that are infected
    Tuyora.exe
    wmiprvse.exe (not sure, but killed this program in zonealarm)
    wmisrwt.exe (main cause, keeps getting blocked off as a malicious program)(also hides itself as "Project1.exe")

I have already blocked the above programs, but when i try to go on msn, the program auto sends messages.

The second i knew i was infected, i changed my hotmail account's password and never accessed it.

Whenever i try to go to any antivirus website it redirects me back to google.

I've already downloaded malwarebyte with the help of another person and it is currently scanning my computer now.

Please advice on anything i need to do while waiting for the scan to finish? I will post out the results of the scan when its done. Thanks a lot guys.

Default Re: Urgent! Advice needed!

Quote Originally Posted by kassarin View Post
    Hi, my computer recently contracted the msn virus. I have a feeling this virus is quite new.

Known files that are infected
    Tuyora.exe
    wmiprvse.exe (not sure, but killed this program in zonealarm)
    wmisrwt.exe (main cause, keeps getting blocked off as a malicious program)(also hides itself as "Project1.exe")

I have already blocked the above programs, but when i try to go on msn, the program auto sends messages.

The second i knew i was infected, i changed my hotmail account's password and never accessed it.

Whenever i try to go to any antivirus website it redirects me back to google.

I've already downloaded malwarebyte with the help of another person and it is currently scanning my computer now.

Please advice on anything i need to do while waiting for the scan to finish? I will post out the results of the scan when its done. Thanks a lot guys.
    See the following :

Malware Clean-up Guidance by Guru Fax

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

Have a nice Day

You might want to also check the hosts file and ensure you only have the loopback entry 127.0.0.1 localhost, and entries you might have added yourself.

Some malware tries to use the hosts file by altering it so that some well-known addresses are directed to the wrong place.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 12th, 2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: rephrase & typo

kassarin Guest

Unhappy Re: Urgent! Advice needed!

Hi, thanks for the advice, i have already done the scanning thing, but when i try to go safe mode with networking, my computer restarts itself and im forced to boot normally. When i went to check whether the infected file is still inside my computer, surprisingly, it is still there. The malwarebyte did nothing apparently.

Hi, thanks for the advice, i have already done the scanning thing, but when i try to go safe mode with networking, my computer restarts itself and im forced to boot normally. When i went to check whether the infected file is still inside my computer, surprisingly, it is still there. The malwarebyte did nothing apparently.
    Do the complete Malware Clean-up Guidance to include rescue disk Dr.Web LiveCD.How It Works at this link :

http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/how_it_works/

You can find free ISO Burners that will allow you to burn an ISO image file.

If that doesn't resolve your malware issue, post your Hijackthis log to BleepingComputer or SpywareHammer

Have no other suggestions to offer.

Good luck and Have a nice Day

kassarin Guest

Hi, if i want to reformat my computer, do i just insert the windows cd and install as normal? Or do i run the windows cd in safe mode?

Hi, if i want to reformat my computer, do i just insert the windows cd and install as normal? Or do i run the windows cd in safe mode?
    I would suggest to try to clean system, but that's up to you.Remember that formatting erases any existing files on a hard disk.If you format a hard disk that has files on it, the files will be deleted and all programs.So backup your data if going that route.

Just place Windows disk in your drive and boot with the Windows disk. If Setup begins or you see a message about hitting any key to boot from the CD, you're all set.

If not you might have to set up your system to boot from the CD, you'll need to enter the BIOS software and change the boot order.

You can Google for more information.Out of suggestions unless other users want to give input on this matter.

That's why I use Acronis to do full backup images to external usb drive.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 13th, 2009 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Added info & typo

kassarin Guest

Hi, thanks a lot Sky. Will try that out when i get back.

Hi, thanks a lot Sky. Will try that out when i get back.
    You're welcome

You should try the the full cleaning first.If all fails then start with clean OS.Good luck

Have a nice Day & Xmas

Thread Information