Thread: thewebsitesurve

gojira Guest

Default thewebsitesurve

Everytime I log onto Ebay or Yahoo this site pops up along with them, its a 4 question survey and its getting really annoying. Can anyone tell me what the heck this is and how to stop it. I ran my virus scan, registry mechanic, cleaned out cookies, and even put the sit eon my blocked list but its still coming up....

Windows XP
    ZA Security Suite
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 14th, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Bleep

garywa Guest

Default Re: thewebsitesurvey

You don't say which version of ZASS you are using or what web browser.

As a test, I went to thewebsitesurvey.com using IE7 and its built-in popup blocker stopped the popup.

I then went into IE7's options and under Security>Restricted Sites, I added this site to the restricted list which totally blocked access even to the main webpage.

It may also be possible to block the site in ZASS using the Expert Rules, but I have not played around with them. Maybe some of the other users here have some experience with them.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:999132544
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 13th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: thewebsitesurvey

Quote Originally Posted by gojira View Post
    Everytime I log onto Ebay or Yahoo this site pops up along with them, its a 4 question survey and its getting really annoying. Can anyone tell me what the heck this is and how to stop it. I ran my virus scan, registry mechanic, cleaned out cookies, and even put the sit eon my blocked list but its still coming up....

Windows XP
    ZA Security Suite

As garywa suggested, you can block pop-ups at the browser level in IE & Firefox

ForceField (standalone) gave Yellow Caution Banner for site.

All script were block by NoScript Ad-ons in Firefox.

Adblock Plus Firefox Add-ons also block site.

If site not block you could check hosts file for malware entries.I have the hosts file lock in ZoneAlarm.

Note : Lock hosts file.

Prevents your computer's hosts file from being modified by hackers through sprayer or Trojan horses. Because some legitimate programs need to modify your hosts file in order to function, this option is turned off by default.

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.5
    ForceField Version 1.5.053.049 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:999138016
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 13th, 2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Extra info on hosts file

garywa Guest

Default Re: thewebsitesurve.com

I must admit that I think something else is going on here based on the OP's original question and several search results I read when I Googled thewebsitesurvey.com

I'm logged into Yahoo every day - its my web browser home page. I also log into eBay almost every day and I do not get those popups with either site.

I have nothing special set in either IE or ZA to block it. I'm just not sure what is going on with this site Its not widespread based on the few search results I got, but it sounds like something has gotten onto these affected PCs that brings up the survey.

I may be all wet here, but it sounds suspicious.

findley Guest

Default Re: thewebsitesurve.com

Quote Originally Posted by gojira View Post

Windows XP
    ZA Security Suite
    Hi gojira,

In dealing with the popups from thewebsitesurvey, my recommendation to you is to get your computer checked out by a malware expert. I suggest you read this and post the required logs here

Findley

gojira Guest

Default Re: thewebsitesurve

Sorry Im running IE 8 and ZA Security Suite 9.1. I tried to set the pop up blocker, so far today it has not appeared so it may have finally taken affect. Thanks for all the advice though

Thread Information