Thread: Age of Empires won't start

kesslerou Guest

Smile Age of Empires won't start

I have XP-media center edition. It is fully updated.
    I also run ZA Extreme Security 9.1.008.000.

I used to always play Age of Empires II (old version, I know... ) with no problems. A few months back my husband updated/upgraded to Extreme Security. Ever since then, Age of Empires will not run. It will attempt to load and then close after the initial welcome screen.

I am 100% sure this is a ZA access issue, b/c earlier this night, I completely uninstalled ZA and just used the windows firewall. The game started just fine, no problems. As soon as I reinstalled ZA, it stopped running again.

I have the program control set to 2 bars and check marks for all of the other associated option in the program control window. Using the gaming mode doesn't make any difference...it still won't load then!

I am not playing online, just playing a local copy from on my laptop.

What am I missing?

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Age of Empires won't start

Completely uninstalling ZA is way too extreme; there are ways to lessen the posssible hinders in ZA. You do know that you can 'temporarily shut-down' ZA and restart after your game play - again this would be a last resort. Un-installing is too harsh.

You can try any of the following; find out which is really needed:
    -Three green bars instead of two
    - Program Control - > Main > lower from 'High' to > 'Medium' or even 'Low' or even off ( you are playing off-line)
    - you can also lower or shut-off anti-virus if you trust your game.
    - shut-off 'Browser Security' panel - all off
    - check in 'parental control' panel - there may be some default that may disable/ block 'games/ game playing' and alike or simply shut-off that panel
    - Firewall - you can lower or shut-off either 'zones' Intenet/ Trusted since you are only playing at home, off-line

kesslerou Guest

I only completely uninstalled ZA b/c I was trying to pinpoint why the program wouldn't start. I wouldn't dream doing that on ANY kind of regular basis.

I have messed with the 3 bars instead of 2. I have turned the slider to off. Turning the firewall off is not an option as the computer I am playing is a laptop on a wireless network.

The frustration for me is that it worked fine with the previous version of ZA (b/f dh upgraded to the exteme security). I had hoped that someone here would know of some difference that would lead to that change in access. I shouldn't have to play with the firewall off or with taking any other sort of security risk like that.

kesslerou Guest

Exclamation Re: Age of Empires won't start

FWIW,
    I have the tried running with the force field (browser security) and parental controls off. I've even tried starting it with ZA completely shut down. It will not start/run.

Just as a double check, I again uninstalled ZA and using the Windows firewall, it ran perfectly. As soon as I re-installed it all, it stopped loading.

Does ZA make some sort of registry entry that could be causing this problem?

Any other ideas?

naivemelody Guest

Time for some ZA Tech. Explain problem and all the 'methods' you have tried.

Click here for ZA Technical Support
    Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

Question - what did you have previously that worked? ZAX 9.0.. or 8.0... or had ZA Suite 8.0.../ 9.0...specifically

Thread Information