Thread: Using Backup Restore Settings from ZAPro to ZA Internet Security

jdrom Guest

Default Using Backup Restore Settings from ZAPro to ZA Internet Security

I have been a ZA user for around 9 years and have extensive firewall settings that are backed up. My main concern is to keep my settings. I have a choice of staying with ZAPro Firewall only or upgrading to ZA Internet Security. I like the spyware scanner, that is why I am thinking about upgrading.

I have 4 questions:

1. Can I use my ZAPro backed-up settings to initialize or carry over to ZA Internet Security using the restore function?

2. In ZA Internet Security, can the anti-virus be turned off independently? I want to continue to use NOD32 as my active anti-virus, and I want to use ZA anti-virus as a manual scanner. Is this possible?

3. In ZA Internet Security, is the anti-spyware scanner independent and can it be turned on and off independently from the firewall and from the anti-virus?

4. Do you see any obvious incompatibilities with ZA Internet Security? I have been using NOD32 and SpySweeper in conjunction with ZAPro for many years without problems. My gut feeling is I am asking for trouble if I combine the above. I just want to hear it from somebody who has been there and done that.

Remember, I am mostly concerned about retaining my firewall settings above all else. I will stick with ZAPro firewall if that is the only way to keep my settings.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thumbs up Re: Using Backup Restore Settings from ZAPro to ZA Internet Security

Quote Originally Posted by jdrom View Post
    I have been a ZA user for around 9 years and have extensive firewall settings that are backed up. My main concern is to keep my settings. I have a choice of staying with ZAPro Firewall only or upgrading to ZA Internet Security. I like the spyware scanner, that is why I am thinking about upgrading.

I have 4 questions:

1. Can I use my ZAPro backed-up settings to initialize or carry over to ZA Internet Security using the restore function?

2. In ZA Internet Security, can the anti-virus be turned off independently? I want to continue to use NOD32 as my active anti-virus, and I want to use ZA anti-virus as a manual scanner. Is this possible?

3. In ZA Internet Security, is the anti-spyware scanner independent and can it be turned on and off independently from the firewall and from the anti-virus?

4. Do you see any obvious incompatibilities with ZA Internet Security? I have been using NOD32 and SpySweeper in conjunction with ZAPro for many years without problems. My gut feeling is I am asking for trouble if I combine the above. I just want to hear it from somebody who has been there and done that.

Remember, I am mostly concerned about retaining my firewall settings above all else. I will stick with ZAPro firewall if that is the only way to keep my settings.

Any help will be appreciated.

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

First, if you wish to Continue using "NOD32 and SpySweeper", then I recommend that you Stay with ZAPro 9.1 or ZAFree..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or KISS,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    ===================================

Yes, if upgading from ZAP to ZASS you can just do and Upgrade install and not "Clean" install, this will preserve your ZAP Firewalland Program Control setting.. But do not Restore your old ZAP saved Setting, because the New Install will have Added new ZASS format to the old Setting, and Restore will only have the ZAP format..

*** NO, even if Disabled, ZASS Anti-Virus, will be loaded into Memory and Conflict with any other Anti-Virus.. Plus ZASS 9.1 Anti-Virus is Much Better than NOD32,

New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine:
    • Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan
    • More advanced scan options- riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
    • Additional on-access scan controls
    • On-access scanning now detects spyware
    ZoneAlarm Version 9 products with antivirus also provide additional protection against new viruses:

• OSFirewall identifies malicious behavior to stop viruses from doing any harm
    • Heuristic virus detection identifies viruses even if they are unknown, not on a signature list
    • Advanced Download Protection prevents accidental installation of viruses
    • Browser Security blocks dangerous web sites that distribute viruses
    • Existing extensive signature database protects against known viruses
    • Anti-spam blocks dangerous emails with dangerous links and attachments with viruses (not in ZoneAlarm Antivirus)
    • Browser Virtualization blocks invisible "drive-by" downloads of viruses (only in ZoneAlarm Extreme Security)

• 3. In ZA Internet Security, is the anti-spyware scanner independent and can it be turned on and off independently from the firewall and from the anti-virus?
    New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine:
    • Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan

You are Correct, Either Stay with ZAP or ZAFree if you want to Keep NOD32 and other Anti-Virus programs,

Or Remove them, if you want ZA Security Suite..

5.)The simplest procedure is to :

A.)Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZASS 9.1.008.000

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

B.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at
    startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

C.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

D.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

E.) Now Install the new update (clean or Upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 15th, 2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information