Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can older versions of ZASS be used so long as they are updated?

samurai Guest

Default Can older versions of ZASS be used so long as they are updated?

Can older versions of ZASS such as 7 or 8 be used and are they secure, so long as they are updated or no; as it would be preferred to wait until the bugs are worked out of the newer versions first unless its a security risk?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Can older versions of ZASS be used so long as they are updated?

Hi!

malware and threats evolves very quickly. Running an old security tool is equivalent to running no security. IMO, it is better to run other tools than old tools.
    The same applies to OS and other application on the system. Check with http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ potential vulnerable software on your PC

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 16th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

samurai Guest

I am referring to older versions of ZASS, although they are constantly updated by the system at least they appear to be. So ZASS 7 and 8 will not protect a system any longer against threats then, doesn't ZA update these versions for individuals that may have problems with newer versions?

Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    So ZASS 7 and 8 will not protect a system any longer against threats then, doesn't ZA update these versions for individuals that may have problems with newer versions?
    Hi!
    ZASS 7 or 8 are not officially supported. There is both this forum and the official technical support for issues related to latest version.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

IGGY Guest

I've written several rants about this subject within another forum & on my website for many years. My opinion - software is normally updated for a reason. It's not always just to add new features. But to fix known issues or security problems that have been uncovered.

If possible it is always advisable to run the latest version of any security product. Yes at times this can end up causing conflicts and problems. Which always interest me considering how things are beta tested. In the past I've come across no issues while others run into mega problems.

samurai Guest

And is why I thought that I would ask first, as that is what I thought as well.

Argus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IGGY View Post
    "My opinion - software is normally updated for a reason. It's not always just to add new features."
    I wish I knew the reason for updating version 8 to version 9, with new features that made me want to reinstall version 8 back immediately.

garywa Guest

The information on the release history page isn't sufficient?

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...ml#9.0.083.000

samurai Guest

Here is some updated information on the subject that I received from ZA if anyone was interested;
    After a discussion with ZoneLabs I asked if ZASS 7 and 8 were still supported and updated and if their anti-virus/spyware and firewall would offer protection and security from threats and the answer was yes that ZASS versions 7 and 8 were still supported and updated if anyone wished to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    Here is some updated information on the subject that I received from ZA if anyone was interested;
    After a discussion with ZoneLabs I asked if ZASS 7 and 8 were still supported and updated and if their anti-virus/spyware and firewall would offer protection and security from threats and the answer was yes that ZASS versions 7 and 8 were still supported and updated if anyone wished to use them.
    You will receive signature updates such as virus and spyware signatures,but no more fixes for issues for this older versions.

Footnote : There will be new and advanced protection features that will not be added to older versions.ZoneAlarm strongly recommends upgrading to a supported and current version .

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 27th, 2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added Footnote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information