Thread: Software managed to knockout ZoneAlarm!

rajeshk Guest

Default Software managed to knockout ZoneAlarm!

I needed a program to fix a video that would not seek forward. So I downloaded "ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair v1.82" (www.repairvideo.com).

I got this program from www.download.com, as I have used this site over many years and I felt they check the software and it must be a reputable place.

However, this time, I had a bad experience. ZoneAlarm did scan the software, but found nothing.

I then ran this video repair program, it seem to be getting on with the job of trying to fix the video, but then I noticed the software stuck at 129MB/264MB. In task manager it showed this program was using 7MB in memory, the the virtual memory was 1GB. Why did it ballon up so much?.

I got a warning from Windows to say my Virtual memory was low.

Also, ZoneAlarm shut down / restarted twice. So I am very that this video software was running whilst ZoneAlarm was shut down. I am wondering if this software was eating up virtual memory to topple ZoneAlarm??

And also ZoneAlarm reported to me that I had changed the date and time and accused me of trying to do this to by-pass license restrictions. (A bit like when someone tries to change the date back on a trial software that has expired). However, I have a paid for copy of ZoneAlarm (and recently bought 2 year subscription).

Altough, I don't see any evidence of virus, but I am convinced my system must be comprimised in some way.

-----

My system:
    Win XP Home
    Zone Alarm Internet Suite (2 year license) - lastest version
    Last edited by rajeshk; December 11th, 2009 at 05:43 AM.

Default Re: Software managed to knockout ZoneAlarm!

Hi!
    there is nothing wrong on that video program.

At least this is the result of 41 virus scanners
    http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/7...6cf-1260542717

Better you get your system checked by experts. See links here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448 (spywarehammer or bleepingcomputer)

Sounds more a software conflict than malware.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 11th, 2009 at 06:05 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshk View Post

ZoneAlarm reported to me that I had changed the date and time and accused me of trying to do this to by-pass license restrictions.

Altough, I don't see any evidence of virus, but I am convinced my system must be comprimised in some way.
    You mention ZoneAlarm reported to me that I had changed the date and time.

You could also look in Event Viewer / System and look for W32Time warnings or errors.If you do have, right click on Proerties and read Description of warnings or errors.

No other suggestions to offer.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 11th, 2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added / System

Robin Harwood Guest

Is there anybody to help me because I had some software do the same to me. It is errofix and antimalware, particularly the latter which completely knocked out ZA Extreme security. I have taken out errorfix but antimalware is still lurking there and refuses to be deleted. I tried to re-install my copy of ZA Extreme security but only get to 5% and it is looking for a particular DLL and informs me that it will not go any further and suggests I reload ZA. Result is that I seem to be going around in circles. I am personally angry at being taken by this rogue software and also the same software is preventing me downloading imnportant security updates from Microsoft. I am using XP .
    I want to get ZA Extreme Security back up to protect my HDD ASAP.
    Can anybody give me some advice?

Robin Harwood
    Tasmania

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Harwood View Post
    Is there anybody to help me because I had some software do the same to me. It is errofix and antimalware, particularly the latter which completely knocked out ZA Extreme security. I have taken out errorfix but antimalware is still lurking there and refuses to be deleted. I tried to re-install my copy of ZA Extreme security but only get to 5% and it is looking for a particular DLL and informs me that it will not go any further and suggests I reload ZA. Result is that I seem to be going around in circles. I am personally angry at being taken by this rogue software and also the same software is preventing me downloading imnportant security updates from Microsoft. I am using XP .
    I want to get ZA Extreme Security back up to protect my HDD ASAP.
    Can anybody give me some advice?

Robin Harwood
    Tasmania

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAES do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAES issues remove the other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information