Thread: ZAES 2 gig Ram, ACER 5570z,Problem with AV Scan

Blueshoe Guest

Default ZAES 2 gig Ram, ACER 5570z,Problem with AV Scan

New here, I wanted to start a new thread but didn't know how to go about it.

But here is my similar issue:

I run Vista, 2 gig Ram, ACER 5570z.
    I upgraded to ZA Extreme and when I ran the initial "DEEP" scan as it said, the Scan Froze up at 46% at the file......

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvg ames.dll
    Not only that but at that point the laptop is virtually useless without the ability to even move the window or cancel the scan. Having to shutdown with the power button.

Now, I ran the ZA removal tool 3 times and re-installed it but it is still the same.

I couldn't find the file in system registry but traced it down through my computer. The nvgames.dll file is 2.9 MB and it is not able to open. It belongs to a NVIDIA library file and is inaccessable.

So at this point I don't have a clue as to what to do.

I did add this string to the exceptions list in advanced options but for some reason it still locks up on the file.
    How long would it take for the virus scan to scan a 2.9 MB file, surely not 1 hour, right?

What to do?

What good is having the ZA Extreme if I can't run a virus scan?
    Should I downgrade to Internet Security Suite?

Default Re: ZAES 2 gig Ram, ACER 5570z,Problem with AV Scan

Hi!

considering that you have already removed ZA then it is not the source of your problem but the file. Try to install the latest www.nvidia.com drivers. They should be at least dated November 2009.

The above may fix your nvidia driver issue.

You should also ensure you are actually logged as administrator to the system.

If all the above fail, exclude the file(s) from the advanced settings of the ZA antivirus section, scan targets menu.

Downgrading to ZASS will only work if you have a valid ZASS license key. Licenses are not exchangeable.

Finally, double check you have the latest version of the ACER eDataSecurity Management software, otherwise it will conflict with ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Blueshoe Guest

Default www.NVIDIA.com

Thanks Guru;

Went to NVIDIA.com but how do I know which Product Type to choose. There are several choices such as, GeForce, ION, Quadro, 3D Vision, nForce, Tesla, and Legacy

Hi!
    there is an option (number 2) to detect automatically your card.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If the above fails, you may want to get the help of someone near you that is a bit more knowledgeable on PC.

Fax

Blueshoe Guest

Thanks again;
    Used the link;

It has GeForce filled in the boxes so I guess that would be it?

Blueshoe Guest

Default failed update

Try to download GeForce update from NVIDIA

Ran the filed but at the end the window says;

NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. NVIDIA will now exit setup.

Should I try one of the other product types?

Default Re: failed update

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshoe View Post
    Try to download GeForce update from NVIDIA

Ran the filed but at the end the window says;

NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. NVIDIA will now exit setup.

Should I try one of the other product types?
    Sorry, You are still Looking at nVidia Option #1, (Manual)

Look further down the page at Option #2 (Automatic Check for what Version of nVIDIA driver you need..

================

if that does not work, based on your Resonces so far, I agree with Guru Fax,

I Recommend that your Find Somebody Closer to you that can Look at your computer and Help you deside..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

============
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Blueshoe Guest

Yes I did find that and NVIDIA came up with Intel(R) 945 chipset and said to get the driver from the manufacturer.

I went to device manager, found Intel and Updated the driver, rebooted

Went to task manager, ended tree for ZA Force Field, just for the heck.

Ran a normal scan and it stopped at the same file:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvg ames.dll

Checked Users, only me and guest, I'm "administrator" so that is not an issue.

I'll have to contact NVIDIA and see what they suggest, I guess.

What else could I possibly do?

Hi!
    You could try to remove completely the drivers (VISTA unistall a program), scan and reinstall the drivers...

Cheers,
    Fax

critterjoe Guest

Hi, Blueshoe:

First, what does ZA antivirus scan do when you scan only the one file (or even folder) in question? i.e., if you go to Windows Explorer, find the file or folder, right-click and in the context menu that pops up, choose "Scan with ZA Antivirus." If there's a problem with the file per se, then it should also show up there, too. Or scanning a folder such as your "system 32" folder or your "driverstore" folder.

I, too, have occasionally had a "deep scan" freeze and couldn't cancel it, and the only way out was a reboot. I've also had it freeze during a "rootkit scan." I'm using ZAES with Win XP, however. But perhaps the following might work in Vista as well (I don't know, since I use XP).

I tried this experiment: I disconnected from the Internet to be safe, and then started Windows in "Safe Mode with Networking" (I presume you know how to do that using the F8 key). Then manually start ZoneAlarm. Run a "deep scan" in safe mode, and see if yours then makes it all the way through. Mine did. Now, surprisingly, it doesn't stick anymore. It's as though getting all the way through in Safe Mode somehow "cleared" it--although I'm still watching it to see that it doesn't start sticking again. So try that in Safe Mode with Networking. And when you finish that scan, then reboot and try another deep scan with your Vista in normal mode and report back, please. Thanks!

Note: For me, "Safe Mode with Networking" is required for the ZA user interface instead of just plain Safe Mode, even though I am disconnected from the Internet. For me the ZA UI will not fully initialize in Safe Mode without the "networking"-- I presume it loads additional drivers necessary for the UI to be functional. And I always disconnect from the Internet when fiddling around with firewalls, AV programs, etc. Good luck.

PS--If you want to know the name of your video card, I can tell you how to do it for Windows XP. Whether that extrapolates over to Vista, I don't know. In XP, one can look in the Device Manager. To get there we go to Control Panel | System| and click the Hardware tab, then Device Manager. Scroll down to "Display Adapters" and open it up. And it should (hopefully) provide the name of your video card.
    Last edited by critterjoe; December 20th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thread Information