Thread: Deep scan, "shallow scan?"

Shotsman Guest

Default Deep scan, "shallow scan?"

Evening everybody, newcomer here.
    I recently had to remove ZASS and re-install it due to AV/AS problems. After installation it gave me the option for a deep scan (recommended) which I took up. This scan showed that I had 66,000 files, which was what I expected. The next day I did another scan (manual request) and this showed that I had 28,500 files. Thinking that it would revert to 66,000 files I did another scan today (as an auto request) but this also came up as 28,500. Before doing the removal and re-install the 66,000 would come up after any scan, manual or auto.
    Any suggestions?

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:999792032
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

garywa Guest

Default Re: Deep scan, "shallow scan?"

I'm not sure what happened the first time you installed 9.1.008.000, but what you described after reinstall is how it worked on both my PCs as well. Here is how the diffrent scan modes are described in the Help file:

The Help file goes on to explain: "For the first system scan after installation, ZoneAlarm uses the Ultra Deep scan mode in order to create a secure baseline. After that, system scans default to the Normal mode, which is faster and skips archive files and other files that are not executable."

Hope this helps.

Shotsman Guest

Default Re: Deep scan, "shallow scan?"

Thanks for that, garywa. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner than this, I haven't been on the PC since my posting.
    Your reply does indeed seem to explain the differences in the number of files. I think that the thing that threw me (and it doesn't take much ) was the difference before and after the re-install even though it was or appeared to be the same programme.

Note to myself, use the help button. Tch.

Thread Information