Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware Scanning Stops at 23%

bobikins Guest

Default Spyware Scanning Stops at 23%

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    to the Zone Alarm User Forum..It sounds like your ZA Database may be corrupted.

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together then

2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    I too have a similar problem where the virus/spyware scan slows then ceases at the same
    file every time , 80% done at C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB922616\spuninst.exe where the scan stops and the machine freezes and has to be reset - I have tried the ZASS reset /reboot and have installed and uninstalled Windows SP3 in an attempt to cure the problem. I have used registry scans and repairs to clear up possible problems there but nothing seems to make any difference. Start in safe mode does not work - as soon as I click on the requisite command in the safe mode screen the system reverts to normal blue screen start.The system seems to operate normally otherwise except a little slow. I have consulted online Registry Cleaning software advice and they both point the finger at ZASS.Any help?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 15th, 2010 at 04:48 AM.

bobikins Guest

Default Re: Spyware Scanning Stops at 23%

Thanks for that - I had already tried it before but it made no difference - have tried again but no good - scan still stops atC:\WONDOWS\$shf_mig$\KB922616\spuninst.exe after having completed about 80%. I have also tried a ZA scan of the KB922616 folder alone and it hangs up just the same. I have carried out registry scan and repair using PC Clean up and other similar which shows no issues for KB922616. Interestingly I can hear a steady regular one second interval reading sound if I put my ear to the desktop casing when it freezes and it sounds like it's just cycling round and round. The computer freezes and the only way to get out of it is to push the reset button and restart.I have tried Safe mode start but that does not work. Seriously thinking of abandoning Zone Labs and start again with a different security suite as my only option.

Hi!
    Have you tried by installing (do not keep any previouos settings) the latest version? There is not anymore a separate spyware scanner. Everything is integrated in one engine now.

You may also under infection or HD corruption. Better to check for malware as suggested here below:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bobikins Guest

Hi - I have lived with this for months and have scoured these forums and have tried every
    trick suggested to others - including the malware scan using MWB - sure it found malware but took 13hours to do it! Don't want to go through that again.Why doesnt ZAS find them? one point : in the WINDOWS folder list the $hf_mig$ is shown in a black type face whereas all the others are the usual blue - probably showing my ignorance but any significance in this? Also I can not start in safe mode - go through all the F8 / select mode etc as suggested but no matter which is selected the machine always starts in the XP normal route. (this closes off one of the suggested possible remedies). Will re-install ZAS as suggested but have done this before too - all this seems to originate from the last major update of ZAS so maybe it will help. Please note when I last removed ZAS and used a.n. other virus scan it went through to the end with no problem. It all seems to me like an issue between Windows and ZAS right from the beginning.Thanks for assistance to date.BobK

Hi!
    what you describe seems a system in a very bad conditions. Not sure is worth reinstall ZASS. You should first resolve your OS problems by re-installing the entire system from scratch then you may think of ZA.

You could consult malware experts (links listed here) to fix your SAFE MODE issues but, IMO, the safest course of action would be to still reinstall everything.

Sorry, I have no further suggestion to resolve your issue.

Cheers,
    Fax

bobikins Guest

Hi . went into safemode via msconfig - bootini - which was ok so i can live with that - ZAS
    still not going past about 80% and sticking at $hf_mig$ \KB922616 which appears to be a WINDOWS SP2 file so I searched around and found a SP2 repair patch on the MS site.This had a effect on the overall operation and speed of the system and showed up an error in InCD - I can do without Nero so uninstalled all files and used Nero clean up utility to remove stray registry stuff - and things speeded up more. ZAS still stops scan and I am convinced that this results from an issue between ZAS and SP2 at KB22616 so I am going to live with ZAS until my subscription runs out in August - back it up with MWB deep clean once a week then try a new security suite - if I am still able to connect to this forum I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help

You're welcome!
    I still think you better plan for a nice and clean reinstall of the system. Also running an unpatched PC will expose you to several serious vulnerbalities that no security tool will be able to fully avoid.

As registered user you can also contact, free of charge, the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature. But, IMO, it does not look to be a ZA issue.

By the way, ARE YOU ON LATEST VERSION 9.1? You never provided any information about your version!

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 16th, 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobikins View Post
    Hi . went into safemode via msconfig - bootini - which was ok so i can live with that - ZAS
    still not going past about 80% and sticking at $hf_mig$ \KB922616 which appears to be a WINDOWS SP2 file so I searched around and found a SP2 repair patch on the MS site.. ZAS still stops scan and I am convinced that this results from an issue between ZAS and SP2 at KB22616 so I am going to live with ZAS until my subscription runs out in August - back it up with MWB deep clean once a week then try a new security suite - if I am still able to connect to this forum I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help

I agree with Guru Fax, it looks like you have Corrupted your Windows XP SP2..

Based on your own Coments to my Post to you earlier..

"I have tried the ZASS reset /reboot and have installed and uninstalled Windows SP3 in an attempt to cure the problem. I have used registry scans and repairs to clear up possible problems there but nothing seems to make any difference."

The above proceedures alone could be detrimental to the Efficientcy of your computer..

Uninstalling Microsoft Service Packs, and Known issues with some Registry Cleaners is enough to make Win XP Sp2 unstable..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

bobikins Guest

Hello George V - just for the record the problem with ZAS scan stopping PREDATES any actions taken - I ran ZAS for years without any problems - the scan stop came out of the blue. Actions with Uninstalling SP3, Registry scans and malware scans with MWBites were all taken on advice gleaned from previous ZA forum threads about this scan stop problem - should I now reinstall SP3 ? or would you prefer not to advise. No problem either way.BobK

Quote Originally Posted by bobikins View Post
    Hello George V - just for the record the problem with ZAS scan stopping PREDATES any actions taken - I ran ZAS for years without any problems - the scan stop came out of the blue. Actions with Uninstalling SP3, Registry scans and malware scans with MWBites were all taken on advice gleaned from previous ZA forum threads about this scan stop problem - should I now reinstall SP3 ? or would you prefer not to advise. No problem either way.BobK

UPDATE Windows XP to SP3 Now...

As of July 13, 2010, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP SP2, However Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Microsoft will probably continue to issue important security updates for a couple more years.

1.) Please read the two post at this link..

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72318

Last edited by GeorgeV; January 21st, 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information