Thread: Google Toolbar - "tabs" in Firefox

elduck Guest

Default Google Toolbar - "tabs" in Firefox

Hi, I'm using ZAES 9.1.008.000. ForceField browser security is on but virtualization is not enabled.

My browser is Firefox 3.5.6 and I have Google Toolbar installed. Firefox privacy is set to remember history. Google Toolbar is set with "enable new tab page" set. Within my google id settings I have disabled my web history and cleared it - it says, "Your web history has been paused."

I have a problem with history and tabs which I suspect may be a combination of Firefox settings and ForceField settings. I could do with some suggestions.

Before I say any more I'll say that the first thing I tried was to clear virtualization data and to turn off Forcefield and try to clear Firefox history.

TABS.
    When I open a "New Tab" in Firefox, Google shows up a small set of thumbnails but they seem to fill up with certain regularly used tabs but not other regularly used tabs. And since clearing history and virtualisation data nothing shows there. I would like to get back in control of the thumbnails that are showing there and have just the half a dozen regularly used sites showing up in there.

HISTORY
    I think this is related to the TABS issue. When I tried to investigate why TABS kept missing one regularly used site I hit CTRL+H to show my history. It showed details for October, September and August (not November or December). I tried to clear these with the "TOOLS>Clear Recent History" but that did not clear it. I then tried to clear the virtualisation data but that failed to clear it. Next I turned off ForceField and tried both clearing the virtualisation data and then clearing the recent history. That too failed. Finally I right clicked on each entry and deleted the history for it page by page. That seemed to clear the entries... except two, one in September and one in August for my own website! October has no entries but still shows there.

Having cleared these items I re-cleared virtualisation data and browser history before turning ForceField back on.

Now I still have in the HISTORY "October", "September+one visit to my site", "August+ one visit to my site". And in the TABS I see no thumbnails. The tab settings under "edit thumbnails" or "show full history" show empty (that particular history always did show empty but the edit thumbnails previously worked).

So... in short... somehow the settings of ForceField, Google Toolbar and Firefox seem to conflict with one another so that I am not in control of my history either in terms of deleting it or of the new tabs mechanism working.

Interestingly my wife uses IE on the same computer. When I go to IE and open a new tab it shows up, as choices, all of the recent sites that she has been using a lot. So this seems to be related to FireFox in particular.

Has anyone else got this working? If you have... what are your settings?

(OS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit but the situation was the same just a few weeks back when I had Vista Business 64bit installed.)

Default Re: Google Toolbar - "tabs" in Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by elduck View Post
    Hi, I'm using ZAES 9.1.008.000. ForceField browser security is on but virtualization is not enabled.

My browser is Firefox 3.5.6 and I have Google Toolbar installed. Firefox privacy is set to remember history. Google Toolbar is set with "enable new tab page" set. Within my google id settings I have disabled my web history and cleared it - it says, "Your web history has been paused."

I have a problem with history and tabs which I suspect may be a combination of Firefox settings and ForceField settings. I could do with some suggestions.
    ZAES 9.1.008.000 is Compaible with Firefox 3.5.5
    but Firefox 3.5.6 was released after ZAES 9.1.008.000
    So this version of ZAES does not know about the changes in Firefox 3.5.6..

Please Contact Checkpoint Tech Support on Monday after the Xmas Weekend Holiday.. Click Support link in my signature..

ReleaseHistory:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version 9.1.008.000
    • Windows 7 operating system compatibility
    • Component Object Model (COM) monitoring (to stop advanced attacks that use the COM Windows component)
    • Improved antivirus/anti-spyware with enhanced rootkit detection
    • Improved status reporting during anti-virus updates
    • Improved performance in Browser Security module
    • Addressed a rare issue where keystroke encryption caused erroneous typing output
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version 9.0.114.000
    • Browser security fixes:
      • Fixed: Unable to install Adobe Flash Player add-on under Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 in Internet mode
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

My browser is Firefox 3.5.6 and I have Google Toolbar installed. history.

You need to have Virtualization enable : ZoneAlarm browser security incorporates virtualization technology, which creates a temporary, isolated area in which stealth attacks and junk are trapped and deleted without harming or cluttering your PC.Automatically clears your virtual file system of any harmful files that could sel-execute.

You should also Clear virtual data frequently when Firefox close and not active : Other files are left behind.Clearing virtual data will clear those leftover files.

Click F1 in Firefox to help troubleshooting issues.

You have to many issues for me to address them all.Here are some links that will help you to address them yorself at the following links :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72370

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...857#post262857

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...901#post270901

Footnote : I don't use this toolbar,but new versions of Google Toolbar are no longer hosted on Mozilla Add-ons. Please go to toolbar.google.com to get the newest version.This is from Mozilla site.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue.If your license is current contact Support.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    ForceField Version 1.5.053.049 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:999965312
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

I installed Firefox/3.5.6 when Firefox notify me of update.

Using the following Add-ons Extensions without any issues with ForceField v 1.5.53.49 (standalone) and ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000 :

Adblock Plus 1.1.2
    BetterPrivacy 1.45
    ForceField 1.5.53.49
    Java Starter 1.0
    NoScript 1.9.9.27

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Have a nice Day

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    I installed Firefox/3.5.6 when Firefox notify me of update.

Using the following Add-ons Extensions without any issues with ForceField v 1.5.53.49 (standalone) and ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000 :

Adblock Plus 1.1.2
    BetterPrivacy 1.45
    ForceField 1.5.53.49
    Java Starter 1.0
    NoScript 1.9.9.27

Have a nice Day
    Hi SkySoldier..

A Note: Just to Make you aware that their is a Difference between the Standalone ForceFieled install and the ForceField version Biult into ZoneAlarm Exteme Security 9.1.008.000 that User "elduck" is using..

ForceField v 1.5.53.49 (standalone) has been updated for the Standalone..

ZAES ForceField v 1.5.53.4 <== has not been updated yet.

That is why I suggested "elduck" contact Tech Support Directly..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi SkySoldier..

A Note: Just to Make you aware that their is a Difference between the Standalone ForceFieled install and the ForceField version Biult into ZoneAlarm Exteme Security 9.1.008.000 that User "elduck" is using..

ForceField v 1.5.53.49 (standalone) has been updated for the Standalone..

ZAES ForceField v 1.5.53.4 <== has not been updated yet.

That is why I suggested "elduck" contact Tech Support Directly..
    Guru GeorgeV.I'm well aware of this.My thinking is if ForceField and Firefox are used correctly there shouldn't be any issues with standalone ForceField or ZAES Browser Security using Firefox/3.5.6.

The problem that most user have is they're not sure how to use ForceField and Firefox together.I don't have any issues with Firefox/3.5.6 and ForceField.

Current Firefox/3.5.6 version is still 3.5.x platform.It's not 3.6.x which is coming out later from Mozilla.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 26th, 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: rephrase & added info & typo

Security Advisories for Firefox 3.5

Fixed in Firefox 3.5.6 at this link :

http://www.mozilla.org/security/know...l#firefox3.5.6

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 27th, 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added Security Advisories for Firefox 3.5

elduck Guest

Hi, an update on this.

I spent some time puzzling on this. The levels of firefox and ZAES were always likely to be a red-herring as I have had the problem for some time and both ZAES and FireFox have been at compatible levels when the issue was first noticed.

I tried uninstalling/installing the Google Toolbar - no difference.
    I tried uninstalling FireFox and re-installing it and then re-adding Google Toolbar. This has resolved the issue. Quite what the *cause* was is another matter, but at least I am sorted.

Hi, an update on this.

I tried uninstalling FireFox and re-installing it and then re-adding Google Toolbar. This has resolved the issue. Quite what the *cause* was is another matter, but at least I am sorted.
    Glad you have resolve issue.Most likely *cause* due to corruption of Firefox or Add-ons.

Have a Happy New Year

Thread Information