Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

craig123456 Guest

Default info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

Zonealarm has found the following when unpacking an exe file: "RarePacker.Multi.Generic was found" and quarantined the file.
    (it's the old DVD Shink application)

Do you have any information on what rarepacker is and why it was quarantined? Is it safe to use, or what does it do?

regards
    craig

findley Guest

Default Re: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

Quote Originally Posted by craig123456 View Post
    Zonealarm has found the following when unpacking an exe file: "RarePacker.Multi.Generic was found" and quarantined the file.
    (it's the old DVD Shink application)

Do you have any information on what rarepacker is and why it was quarantined? Is it safe to use, or what does it do?

regards
    craig
    Craig,

To check this out, you could upload the DVD shrink files to Virus Total Virustotal is a free service which will analyze the suspicious files. The files will be checked out against thirty-nine antivirus engines.

There was a thread on false positives, DVD shrink and RarePacker.Multi.Generic
    a couple months back. Here is the link: ZASS False Positives

Best regards,
    Findley

atinalee Guest

I just did a scan because I just installed the new 9.1.008 program.

It foudn rarepacker.multi generic in this codestuffstarter program I have used for years. I am not sure what to do now? I really dont think they would have a trojan in this program.

Can you tell me if this is a false positive and if I should restore it. It put it in the quarantine file.

Thanks

Anita

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by atinalee View Post
    I just did a scan because I just installed the new 9.1.008 program.

It foudn rarepacker.multi generic in this codestuffstarter program I have used for years. I am not sure what to do now? I really dont think they would have a trojan in this program.

Can you tell me if this is a false positive and if I should restore it. It put it in the quarantine file.

Thanks

Anita
    Hi Anita,
    Suggest you follow the same advice as previously given to craig in post #2.
    Upload any suspicious file to Virus Total or to Jotti's malware scan You'll get your answer as to whether this is a false positive.
    best regards and enjoy the weekend,
    Findley

atinalee Guest

Thanks I found out from the site with this program that it is not a trojan but the way they do their exe file. Zone alarm keeps telling me every day I have a trojan and every day I tell it to restore it. It is a real pain. I might look for a different program or uninstall it. Too much of a problem.
    Thanks

Anita

findley Guest

Arrow Re: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

Thanks I found out from the site with this program that it is not a trojan but the way they do their exe file. Zone alarm keeps telling me every day I have a trojan and every day I tell it to restore it. It is a real pain. I might look for a different program or uninstall it. Too much of a problem.
    Thanks

Anita
    Anita,

In the advanced options of the antivirus section, have you tried adding the files to the Zone Alarm exception list so they are not scanned and identified as an issue?
    hope this helps
    Findley

atinalee Guest

Thanks so much. I didnt know you could do this. This has solved my problem.

Anita

findley Guest

Thanks so much. I didnt know you could do this. This has solved my problem.

Anita
    Glad to hear it and thanks for the feedback

otempora Guest

Just venting, but it's a real hassle to have to go to some buried setting to disable quarantining a particular file. And after getting there, one has to navigate to the folder where the file was -- it's no longer there since it's been quarantined. In short, it's a kludgy way of doing things. ZA should simply allow one to disable a quarantine via a drop-down under Treatment, like they do for less-severe positives.

Bad engineering, period.

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by otempora View Post
    ZA should simply allow one to disable a quarantine via a drop-down under Treatment, like they do for less-severe positives.
    Actually, I think this will do what you want, its the way I've changed my settings. Under the A-v/A-s>Main>Advanced Options>Automatic Treatment, change the setting from the 'recommended' to 'Alert me - do not treat automatically'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information