Thread: Every Firefox launch sees Forcefield as "new"

Snarkley Guest

Default Every Firefox launch sees Forcefield as "new"

ZAP 9.1.008
    Forcefield Standalone 1.5.53.49
    Win XP SP3
    Firefox 3.5.6

I don't know if this is normal or not. I clear virtual data after every Firefox browser session. After doing that, everytime I re-launch Firefox, a popup window from Firefox add-on manager opens up, and it tells me that Firefox has found a new add-on. Is this normal? Forcefield was a "virgin install" on the already-upgraded Firefox 356, so there shouldn't be any upgrade issues to account for it. BTW, if I close Firefox without clearing virtual data, and later re-launch, the Firefox add-on manager doesn't open with that message. But once I clear virtual data, then when opening the next session it always says I have a new add-on.
    Last edited by Snarkley; December 31st, 2009 at 01:54 AM.

Default Re: Every Firefox launch sees Forcefield as "new"

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkley View Post
    ZAP 9.1.008
    Forcefield Standalone 1.5.53.49
    Win XP SP3
    Firefox 3.5.6

I don't know if this is normal or not. I clear virtual data after every Firefox browser session. After doing that, everytime I re-launch Firefox, a popup window from Firefox add-on manager opens up, and it tells me that Firefox has found a new add-on. Is this normal? Forcefield was a "virgin install" on the already-upgraded Firefox 356, so there shouldn't be any upgrade issues to account for it. BTW, if I close Firefox without clearing virtual data, and later re-launch, the Firefox add-on manager doesn't open with that message. But once I clear virtual data, then when opening the next session it always says I have a new add-on.

Read the following Sticky at this link :

Update Options for Firefox when using ForceField

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72370

Have a Happy 2010

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.6
    ForceField Version 1.5.053.049 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1000286848
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

Snarkley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    Read the following Sticky at this link :

Update Options for Firefox when using ForceField

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72370

Thanks for trying to help but I had said in my post above that the version of Firefox 356 was done before Forcefield was installed. The Firefox was a new complete install of 356 and not a version update. I haven't tried to update either one since none are available. Thus there was no need to close Forcefield since it didn't exist ye, tthe Firefox 356 was a new install prior to ZoneAlarm Pro installation. Then thirdly, the new Forcefield standalone install was after that, and Firefox was not open during that. The link you sent tells how to update Firefox for people who already had Forcefield installed. I understand how that needs to be done when updating in the future, but my question was on fresh installs of all 3 software, and not what i'm looking for now, but thanks. It's actually easy enough to just click and close the Firefox add-on manager but it gets to be old. I probably can tolerate it until the next time that Forcefield or Firefox needs to be updated. I may try to turn off Forcefield as though I were going to update Firefox (but not really do any updating), go thru the motions, and turn Forcefield back on and see if that fooled it into working. catch ya later. thankx.
    Last edited by Snarkley; December 31st, 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks for trying to help but I had said in my post above that the version of Firefox 356 was done before Forcefield was installed. The Firefox was a new complete install of 356 and not a version update. I haven't tried to update either one since none are available. Thus there was no need to close Forcefield since it didn't exist ye, tthe Firefox 356 was a new install prior to ZoneAlarm Pro installation. Then thirdly, the new Forcefield standalone install was after that, and Firefox was not open during that. The link you sent tells how to update Firefox for people who already had Forcefield installed. I understand how that needs to be done when updating in the future, but my question was on fresh installs of all 3 software, and not what i'm looking for now, but thanks. It's actually easy enough to just click and close the Firefox add-on manager but it gets to be old. I probably can tolerate it until the next time that Forcefield or Firefox needs to be updated. I may try to turn off Forcefield as though I were going to update Firefox (but not really do any updating), go thru the motions, and turn Forcefield back on and see if that fooled it into working. catch ya later. thankx.
    Have not had issues here with 3.5.6 what so ever.

In that case read the following informative Sticky at this links :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...857#post262857

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...901#post270901

Just in case you use NoScript 1.9.9.30 it updates frequently.I would suggest to close Firefox and Tun Off ForceField.Load Firefox and in Tools / Add-ons and click " Find Updates " and update Add-ons and let it restart and then close Firefox.Load ForceField and Clear virtual data.

Also Clear virtual data often.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Have no other suggestions to address your issue unless other users might have input to provide you.If your license is current contact Support.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a Happy 2010
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 31st, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo & Firefox version, typo

Snarkley Guest

Success! ...so far I cleared virtual data, then turned off Forcefield. I then opened and closed Firefox a couple of times (the first time the add-on manager still appeared, but it didn't the second.) So now I was ready for the test. I turned Forcefield back on, opened Firefox and cruised a few sites to build up some virtual data. Then I cleared virtual data, and reopened Firefox. The add-on manager did not appear! Much nicer now. So perhaps just turning Forcefield off for a couple of browser openings somehow reset the order of things. I'll keep my fingers crossed it stays working. thanx for your help and happy new year.

Success! ...so far I cleared virtual data, then turned off Forcefield. I then opened and closed Firefox a couple of times (the first time the add-on manager still appeared, but it didn't the second.) So now I was ready for the test. I turned Forcefield back on, opened Firefox and cruised a few sites to build up some virtual data. Then I cleared virtual data, and reopened Firefox. The add-on manager did not appear! Much nicer now. So perhaps just turning Forcefield off for a couple of browser openings somehow reset the order of things. I'll keep my fingers crossed it stays working. thanx for your help and happy new year.
    Let's hope so.Like I stated.I always do it this way and never have issues.

If all suggestion do not work for you.It's possible that ForceField (standalone) is corrupt.Uninstall and reinstall.

Out of suggestion to resolve your issue.

Have a nice Day

Thread Information