Thread: ZA + MSE (Security Essentials) Freezing Windows 7

da_jokker Guest

Thumbs down ZA + MSE (Security Essentials) Freezing Windows 7

I am experiencing the same problem many of us are. As soon as you turn on Real-Time protection for Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows 7 Freezes. I have had a couple of times the 2 seem to be running together, but as soon as I reboot, the system won't finish logging on and I have to go into safe mode and turn off Real-Time for MSE.

BTW, I though that if I went into ZA and basically turned off the monitoring of all the MSE components, and then when into MSE and turned off on the monitoring of ZA componets everything would work... but no luck.

So to the point... I just wanted to say that during my testing, I'm starting to think it is NOT zone alarms issue but instead MSE. I say this because I even when I completely shut down Zone Alarm (Don't load at Startup) and disable the TrueVector Service, Windows 7 still locks up once Real-Time is turned on.

Seems to me that MSE doesn't like some ZA component even if it's not running. Sure would be nice to get these 2 to play together well... ZA is #1 when it comes to Outbound protection. All other Firewalls I've testing including Win 7 allow a program to send out info via ieexplorer. ZA is the only one that catches that.

da_jokker Guest

Default Re: ZA + MSE (Security Essentials) Freezing Windows 7

Discovered a new tid bit... if you go into Device Manager, Show Hidden, and disable the Zone Alarm Firewall Driver (vsdatant) the computer will now boot.

However, you loose all network connectivity so MSE won't run because it thinks it's out of date.

So... what this leads me to believe is that there is something with the Zone Alarm Firewall driver that MSE does not like (or ZA blocks something that MSE needs on startup to validate)

Default Re: ZA + MSE (Security Essentials) Freezing Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by da_jokker View Post
    Discovered a new tid bit... if you go into Device Manager, Show Hidden, and disable the Zone Alarm Firewall Driver (vsdatant) the computer will now boot.

However, you loose all network connectivity so MSE won't run because it thinks it's out of date.

So... what this leads me to believe is that there is something with the Zone Alarm Firewall driver that MSE does not like (or ZA blocks something that MSE needs on startup to validate)

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7), your zonealarm product and it's version number , Brand of Computer and CPU.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information