Thread: ZoneAlarm & AVG Antivirus Compatibility

APK Guest

Default ZoneAlarm & AVG Antivirus Compatibility

I am running Zone Alarm Pro version 9.0.114.00 and AVG Antivirus 9.0.725

I have been having problems with AVG Antivirus ever since they went to release 9.0

When I contacted AVG Tech Support after the upgrade and sent them several logs, they finally stated that they have a compatibility issue with ZoneAlarm and that they were working with ZoneAlarm Tech Support to fix the issue. So I have been waiting several weeks for a fix from them.

Now my AVG Antivirus license expires in January, so I emailed AVG Tech Support to see where they stood on the issue. Their reply was "...it is not clear if the problem is in AVG or Zone Alarm drivers."

I am trying to confirm if ZoneAlarm is working with AVG on a fix or are they just stringing me along.

garywa Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm & AVG Antivirus Compatibility

There are only USERS, like yourself, on this forum. No ZA staff monitor the forum. It is best to direct your question to ZA tech support via their live chat. Here is the link:

https://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc...ish/Retail/3c/

While another user may have some information about this issue, you could be waiting awhile for someone to read and respond.

zauserthatday Guest

Attention: ZoneAlarm technical support person, who I hope will see and respond to this posting

In the closed newsgroup thread at http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free...=show&id=40485 on the Internet on December 28, 2009 Ondraploteny reported that ZoneAlarm has a fix to in effect eliminate a conflict between the ZoneAlarm firewall and the AntiVirus Grisoft (AVG) Free Edition 9.0's LinkScanner driver. He or she reported on December 28, 2009 that the fix would appear in "in one of the next ZoneAlarm updates." What will be the lowest and first version number of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall for Windows which will include that fix? Please note this: That version number could be set ahead of time by Check Point's ZoneAlarm people before the corresponding version of the firewall is released on a date which might be difficult to predict. Based on the date of December 28, 2009 of Ondraploteny's comment of "in one of the next ZoneAlarm updates," I presume that version 9.1.007 of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall, available on December 29, 2009 from http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3...-dl&tag=button on the Internet and I think was perhaps released on November 26, 2009, is too low a version number and/or may have been released too early to have included that fix, right? By knowing the version number of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall which includes the fix in which I am interested, I can know which version of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall for Windows for me to try with the AVG Free Edition 9.0. Also for the benefit of other people interested in having this conflict eliminated, to go along with that new version of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall for Windows, please have some release notes and a prominent statement in them explaining that this conflict has been eliminated.

At http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free...=show&id=53611 on the Internet Ondraploteny suggested I ask the above question of ZoneAlarm people. In a kindly provided chat session a ZoneAlarm technical-support person kindly directed me to the ZoneAlarm forum. In a search for "AVG" among the postings in the ZoneAlarm forum I found nothing. But nevertheless, in looking at recent posts in this forum I gratefully found this one, which has an appropriate title for me. This could indicate that the search function did not work well for this forum. If so, please fix the search function for this forum and test it. I wonder if the search function could be missing postings posted on the same day the search is made; if so, that might be a clue toward fixing the search function. Thanks.
    Last edited by zauserthatday; December 31st, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Chaged notification type to instant e-mail notification

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zauserthatday View Post
    Attention: ZoneAlarm technical support person, who I hope will see and respond to this posting
    Once again - There are only USERS, like yourself, on this forum. No ZA technical staff monitor the forum. It is best to direct your question to ZA tech support via their live chat. Here is the link:

https://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/28464961/?cmd=file&file=visitorWantsToChat&site=28464961&by href=1&SESSIONVAR!skill=Tech%20Support&imageUrl=ht tps://server.iad.liveperson.net/hcp/Gallery/ChatButton-Gallery/English/Retail/3c/

naivemelody Guest

After reading user 'zauserthatday' post, there are some options you may wish to try:

1) "This situation could be now only solved by uninstallation of ZoneAlarm or disable AVG LinkScanner Active Surf-Shield component."

> http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free...=show&id=40485

> In ZA forum I have read at least one+ confirmed case a little while ago where a user with ZA firewall and AVG 9.0 problem did successfully disable AVG Link-Scanner Surf shield and this combo worked.

> If you try this - click here > http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq?num=1189
    - this is AVG's support - see #1189 and # 1176

> more info from another forum -click here > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r231...-compatibility

- LinkScanner is a browser security tool/ plug-on - that may be conflicting with ZA's browser security tool/ ZA Security Toolbar/ AdvancedDownloadManager or with ZA firewall...which leads me to...
    __________________________________________________ _______
    or try this...

2) you may try with 'un-installing ZA Toolbar' - click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthrea...495#post273495

- (this option is an unknown variable, while option 1 - has been confirmed at least one time here.)

__________________________________________________ _____
    Here are some of my afterthoughts: security companies are always increasing/ improving their products with various security layers/ tools/ features - ZA has their ZA SecurityToolbar/ AdvancedDownloadProtection and AVG has their LinkScanner - both have options to disable their component "should it conflict with some other software or for any other reason."
    __________________________________________________ ________
    NaiveMelody NYC -1-1-10 - Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind? - The Lovin' Spoonful
    Last edited by naivemelody; January 1st, 2010 at 02:32 AM.

Hello,

I need to point out tech support does not fix issues in the software, development does that.

AVG development has contacs with ZA development and if there is really a bug they will contact them.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zauserthatday Guest

Attention: ZoneAlarm developers and users

Thanks for the above suggestions. My comments and results:

1) As has already been written, running the AntiVirus Grisoft (AVG) Free Edition 9.0 with the LinkScanner's Active Surf-Shield disabled is a way to run with the free, ZoneAlarm firewall installed and enabled and avoid the AVG-ZoneAlarm conflict. But preferring instead to have the protection of the AVG Free Edition 9.0's LinkScanner's Active Surf-Shield, right now I have the Windows-XP-Home-Edition firewall enabled; the AVG Free Edition 9.0's free components, including the LinkScanner components fully enabled; and the free, ZoneAlarm firewall uninstalled. With this combination the loading of Web pages, except for one unusual Web page, in the Mozilla-Firefox 3.5.6 browser did not stop before completion.

2) With the free ZoneAlarm firewall uninstalled, in my installation of Internet Explorer (IE) 8 a ZoneAlarm Spy-Blocker search bar is visible, but did not cause the loading of a particular Web page to stop before completion. There was no listing of this item in my Windows XP Home Edition's "Add or Remove Programs" list of installed programs.--So it could not be removed that way; but evidently and fortunately I don't have to remove it from my computer.

3a) I performed a test by at first disabling the Windows firewall, then installing the free, ZoneAlarm firewall 9.1.007.002 in a "Custom Installation" without installing the "browser security toolbar." But unfortunately the loading of a Web page still stopped before completion. In ZoneAlarm I denied permission for Java to run; but I doubt if that was the problem with that Web page, which on right-touchpad-button-clicking it and then selecting "View Page Source" appeared to contain JavaScript, a little XHTML, and HTML tags.
    3b) Good news, however, was that I found that within a short running time the executable file vsmon.exe in this version of the ZoneAlarm firewall used only about 15 MegaBytes (MB) of Random Access Memory (RAM). I just guess that the higher quantities of RAM, up to 320 MB, reported by other people that vsmon.exe used in perhaps various versions of the ZoneAlarm firewall might be due to (a) memory leak(s) in vsmon.exe which perhaps linearly increase the RAM used by vsmon.exe with the single-Windows-session time of usage of the ZoneAlarm firewall. As an "outsider" to the development of the "inside" of the ZoneAlarm code, this, my hypothesis, is at least for the moment consistent with the wide range in the quantities of RAM reported by various users of ZoneAlarm's vsmon.exe and with the reports on the Internet of memory leakage in vsmon.exe. As reportedly recommended by the former ZoneLabs or ZoneAlarm, this problem is easily solved by a user restarting his system (computer operating system) once in 24 hours. So I guess that for someone not leaving his Windows operating system running more than a few hours at a time and with not too little hardware RAM in his computer, the memory leak(s) reported in ZoneAlarm's vsmon.exe may not be very important. Secondly my test indicates more good news for computer users like myself with only 256 MB of hardware RAM on their computers.--That is it appears that I fortunately may be able to ignore the one-gigabyte RAM requirement for ZoneAlarm 9.1 .007.002, as long as I am willing to restart or shut down Windows, say once in several hours or so. I hope that this low initial usage of RAM, kind to users of computers say several years old, will continue in future versions of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall. Elimination of the reported memory leak(s) in vsmon.exe would be still better, but might be difficult, especially if it turns out that there are many of them or that one or more of them is hard to locate (a sentence written by me, most definitely not an expert on locating and fixing memory leaks in computer code.).

I am still interested in the lowest and earliest version number of the free, ZoneAlarm firewall which will eliminate the reported, apparent conflict between the AVG Free Edition 9.0's LinkScanner driver and the free, ZoneAlarm firewall. Thanks in advance for a ZoneAlarm developer kindly supplying that version number for the free, ZoneAlarm firewall here.
    Last edited by zauserthatday; January 3rd, 2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added missing words; further clarified the increase in the RAM used

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zauserthatday View Post
    Thanks in advance for a ZoneAlarm developer kindly supplying that version number for the free, ZoneAlarm firewall here.
    Once, no, twice again - THERE ARE NO ZA DEVELOPERS READING THESE FORUMS! Your question is NOT reaching your intended audience.

Thread Information