Thread: Can't download exe files

pls Guest

Thumbs down Can't download exe files

I am unable to download an exe file through a web browser unless I shut down Zone Alarm. Is there a way to fix this?

The previous version did not allow downloading pdf files. This gets old fast.

I am running ZA 9.1.008 on Windows XP SP3.

Thanks,
    ++PLS

Default Re: Can't download exe files

Quote Originally Posted by pls View Post
    I am unable to download an exe file through a web browser unless I shut down Zone Alarm. Is there a way to fix this?

The previous version did not allow downloading pdf files. This gets old fast.

I am running ZA 9.1.008 on Windows XP SP3.

Thanks,
    ++PLS
    Could you provide more relevant information so users can address your issue.Post the following :

Detail information of issue, error messages, or screenshot if possible

Your OS : XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 ( You have Windows XP SP3 )

The following if laptop : Acer / Toshiba

ZoneAlarn version : ZAES / ZASS / ZAP / ZAAV / ZAFree ( we know it's 9.1.008.000 what version )

ForceField version : If ( standalone )

Overlapping Security Tools (even if disabled)

Computer Brand

Computer Memory

Web Browser / Add-ons / Plugins

Have a nice Day

garywa Guest

A little more information would be helpful. What happens? Does it just hang? Do you get an error message (if so, what is the exact message)?

What ZA product are you using - Extreme, Pro, Security Suite, Anti-virus? Do you have the ZA toolbar installed? Or, do you have the standalone version of ForceField installed? Do you have any other a-v/a-s, firewall software installed on your PC? What browser are you using to do the downloads?

I am running ZASS on 2 WinXP SP3 machines and I can download pdf and exe files all day long with IE7 or IE8 (with the ZA Toolbar).

Can you give us an example of an exe file that you can't download? For example, I just downloaded CCleaner (ccsetup227.exe) from FileHippo.com with no problem.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1008940736
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

bboehmer Guest

Your PDF file problem is probably caused by force field. I found that when I had force field running after I downloaded a PDF it would disappear. If I killed force field then low and behold all of my missing PDF's re-appeared right where they were downloaded to.

Quote Originally Posted by bboehmer View Post
    Your PDF file problem is probably caused by force field. I found that when I had force field running after I downloaded a PDF it would disappear. If I killed force field then low and behold all of my missing PDF's re-appeared right where they were downloaded to.
    Unanttended downloads (typically by download managers) will not work unless you point your download managers to save files to "mydocuments --> forcefieldshared files". This is a security feature and not a bug.

The rest of the cases are often related to corruption of web browser profile (solved by reset and/or reinstalling) or corruption of the virtual cache (solved by clearing the virtual cache).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information