Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error message when updating

fiton Guest

Default Error message when updating

Bit of a long standing issue that I thought was related to my old licence that was about to expire. Have just renewed but am still getting an error message when I try and update anti-virus. Not sure what this is about. Can anyone help? Thanks

garywa Guest

Default Re: Error message when updating

Without being able to sit in front of you PC, its difficult for anyone to help without more detailed information about your configuration.

Which ZA product do you have - Extreme, Security Suite, Pro, Anti-virus, and what is the version number?

What OS are you running - WinXP, Vista, Win7 (32-bit or 64-bit), what Service Pack level?

What is the exact error message you are getting?

Do you have any other a-v/a-s, firewall, malware, etc. software installed on your PC?

Someone here will be glad to help with a little more information.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1009023840
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

fiton Guest

Sorry - wasn't thinking.

Run Windows XP. Service Pack 2. Have just updated to ZA Extreme with the Virtual PC Tune Up facility. Not running any other firewall/anti-virus. Have disabled Windows. Error message is two fold:
    1. In the tray the Z has a yellow exclamation mark that tells me I need to update ZA. When I try I get a pop up: "error: download error". Nothing else.
    2. Occasionally a further pop up occurs that tells me I need to update the signature?

I bought the new version on 4.1.10. Can't find what version. Prior to installing I uninstalled the previous version which was about to expire.

Hope this is clearer. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fiton View Post
    Sorry - wasn't thinking.

Run Windows XP. Service Pack 2. Have just updated to ZA Extreme with the Virtual PC Tune Up facility. Not running any other firewall/anti-virus. Have disabled Windows. Error message is two fold:
    1. In the tray the Z has a yellow exclamation mark that tells me I need to update ZA. When I try I get a pop up: "error: download error". Nothing else.
    2. Occasionally a further pop up occurs that tells me I need to update the signature?

I bought the new version on 4.1.10. Can't find what version. Prior to installing I uninstalled the previous version which was about to expire.

Hope this is clearer. Thanks
    Just a suggestion.Look under Overview / Product Info / Registration

See if Registration pending or has it Register already to ZoneAlarm server.

If Registration pending is the case : Just go to Overview / Product Info / Licensing Information

Click on Change Lic. tab.Delete the current license showing, it might be the same.Copy / Paste in the license
    field.Click Apply.You should get message. Your license key was successfully installed.Click OK.Close ZoneAlarm
    and reboot.

If this is not the case try the following :

The database could be corrupt.Try resetting this way.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do not restore old settings.You could reintroduce corruption.Accept the default settings.

Look under Overview / Product Info / Version Information : Displays your current version.

Also you should update to SP3.

Microsoft Ends Win XP SP2 Support at this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72318

Have no other suggestions to address your issue unless other users might want to provide input.

ZoneAlarm provides free Technical Support with a current ZoneAlarm license.Contact Support for direct one-on-one chat / text-based communication in real time.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 5th, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: rephrase

fiton Guest

Thanks Sky Soldiers. Tried as you have suggested and no joy. Bizarre. I have run ZA for several years with no problems. I see there is a further poster with what sounds like a similar problem?
    I can't do the online tech support as I work full time. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Post Re: Error message when updating

Thanks Sky Soldiers. Tried as you have suggested and no joy. Bizarre. I have run ZA for several years with no problems. I see there is a further poster with what sounds like a similar problem?

Thanks
    !.) I agree with the advice of Sky Soldiers and Garywa..

2.) I would suggest Updating your Windows XP. Service Pack 2. to Run Windows XP. Service Pack 3 plus all the other Microsoft Critical Updated that came after Service pack 3..

3.) the Current release of ZoneAlarm, bases it Interface and Security decisions on the Assumption that Your Version of Windows is Fully Updated with latest SP and Critical Updates..

4.) if you contact ZA Tech Support Live Chat link after hours, you usually are offered the chance to file a Text Form Survey of your problem, and Submit it, this will generate a Work Ticket to Tech support, who will Email you a Solution based on the Details that you supply, usually in 2 to 4 days, and you can Followup with more details by replying to that response from Tech Support..

Tech Support will ask What Type and Version Of Zone Alarm and if you have Updated WinXP to SP3..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 6th, 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks
    Bought the new version on 4.1.10 If this is new license related issue then you can contact Customer Service.Unless you work 24 hours a day.

You can also ask for refund if not a happy camper.They have 30-Days Hassle Free Return Policy.

Customer Service Live Chat
    Available 24 x 7 - excluding holidays

At this link :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 6th, 2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo

scratch Guest

Default DNS Servers & Download Error (AV)

Just out of curiousity, I changed from static DNS IP addresses from oneDNS and Google DNS servers to my ISP's DNS, Time Warner, the update then worked.

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1009294624
    XP SP3

garywa Guest

Default Re: DNS Servers & Download Error (AV)

Quote Originally Posted by scratch View Post
    Just out of curiousity, I changed from static DNS IP addresses from oneDNS and Google DNS servers to my ISP's DNS, Time Warner, the update then worked.

XP SP3

Very interesting and something I had not thought of before. I have the OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222 - 208.67.220.220) set in my router and none set in my PCs. I have never had a ZA update problem using the OpenDNS servers.

I am not familiar with oneDNS, what are their server IPs?

Default Re: DNS Servers & Download Error (AV)

Quote Originally Posted by scratch View Post

XP SP3
    Thank You for the Feedback.

Glad every thing working now.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 8th, 2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added Have a nice Day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information