Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alert to install ZoneAlarm 8.0.65.0

tallin Guest

Default Alert to install ZoneAlarm 8.0.65.0

Today, I received the thread title details to install.
    I checked in my Systems Tray by right clicking on my current ZoneAlarm installation 7.0.483.000 and sure enough on opening it stated that an update was available.

I downloaded and ran the new version, only to be told:
    "Could not load DLL library".
    C:\DOCUM~1\user\locals~1\temp\121508190207 vsutll.dll configuration is incorrect, re-installing the application may fix this problem OK. This system must be restarted to complete the installation, click OK button to restart this computer. Press cancel to return to Windows." I did all that to no avail.

I rebooted, download again all 26.4MB to my desktop this time and tried again with the same message showing when trying to install.

Would anyone know why suddenly I am alerted to this update, but my PC shows the above error in the configuration. I have not yet booted up my Laptop running Windows XPSP3 as this PC is to see if the same thing happens.

I have had ZoneAlarm for some time on both computers with not a moments trouble on either. I googled for an answer, but none was available to date. Both installed SP3 at least 6 months ago, so it is not a new installation of service pack that is causing this in my opinion.

Between trying to install from run, then from the Desktop, I ran ATF-Cleaner.exe to clear all temp files.

I would appreciate any help.

Edit:I booted up the Laptop after shutting down the PC for the night, no update alert for it, so cannot compare the two computers, although they are running the same OS and version of ZoneAlarm. I am thinking that maybe I need to uninstall the current version on the PC before attempting to install the new version sitting on the PC desktop?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:4.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Alert to install ZoneAlarm 8.0.65.0

Click here > http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    - although for ZA free - your version is 8.0.65.<hr>It is best to un-install your current version - properly, then install the new version.1 -
    download the new version 'save to desktop' without installling yet. use IE7 better than firefox.
    2 - read the above link and follow tips and guidelines for installing - notice the un-install instruction at middle half of post - you can use this. (important point is to un-check 'load at start-up' for the current/ old 7.0 that you have). If you are a 'fairly experienced pc user' - you may
    use a more advanced 'un-install instruction from near top - un-install instruction #M19199 - you may use either forms.
    3 - after un-install, restart/ reboot - you may now install from desktop - make sure other security software does not interfere (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.)- you may reduce/ or temporarily shut-down some of them down.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 12-19-08 - One - U2
    PS - your &quot;Software Verion&quot; is currently 7.0 (this refers to your ZA firewall; not windows/os), when your done you will have 8.0
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-20-2008 12:09 AM

tallin Guest

Thank you very much for the concise reply.
    You did not respond to
    my Laptop not showing an alert for the update even although both computers are running the exact same OS and ZoneAlarm version,
    Why has this happened? why does the new installation not
    override the old version as mostly happens in an update of this kind?
    Thank you for your patience, time and knowledge in this matter.
    I tick all the correct boxes to receive an email notification to this thread, but so far none:0
    best regards,

naivemelody Guest

There are several million users of ZA (many using ZA Free) - ZA servers send out &quot;incremental, randomized update notifications&quot; in an on-going rolling basis - as to not overload 'the system' (and to watch feedback - in a controllable manner) - how does that sound. Anyhows, just do the one first; wait for the other - if it does not come by - you can wait for the 'release history of ZA Free and do a manual update - when it get's listed.<hr>The change from ZA Free 7.0 to 8.0 'may need' to have the un-installation of the old version in order to upgrade (there are improvements and changes - that a 'simple' over install/ upgrade 'may not' work for everyone) [ without going into
    details - I can see some 'telling' differences - which in the end works out better for 'all ZA Free users'].<hr>

tallin Guest

Thank you for your explanation.
    I understand now.
    Rather than go through all the information in your initial post, could I download 8 to my desktop as I have done, uninstall 7, then install 8 keeping it simple.<ul>[*]When I
    right click
    ZoneAlarm in the Systems Tray[*]There is a shutdown feature[*]Then go to All Programs[*]ZoneAlarm[*]Scroll to Uninstall ZoneAlarm[/list]

OR<ul>[*]Start[*]Control Panel[*]Add and Remove[*]Highlight ZoneAlarm[*]Remove[/list]

Would either of these two be so much more simple than instructions given in earlier posts.

Thank you, I only want to do the best for the product and my stress level here.

Best regards,

naivemelody Guest

One important inclusion is... &gt; just prior to new downloading attempt, on your current/ old
    ZA
    &gt; go to &quot;Overview&quot; &gt; Preferences &gt; General - &quot;uncheck the box for&quot; = 'Load ZoneAlarm at startup' &gt; click once, wait - it may take a few
    seconds for it to register, but it will clear the box.[*]
    Please restart/ reboot. &lt;[*]Unloading the current/ old version will ensure less conflicts between the old version and new version; after install you will have to re-start your pc. { This is a Super Tip - that will help prevent some 'true vector issues/ vsmon.exe' on upgrades/ updates }<hr>[*]

The following un-install directions will completly remove ZoneAlarm
    from your computer.

Be sure to have the latest version of ZoneAlarm downloaded and saved to your computer and your license key available so that you can re-install after following these directions.[*]

1. Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to the 'Overview' -&gt; 'Preferences' tab, and make sure the &quot;Load ZoneAlarm At Startup&quot; box is &quot;Un-Checked.&quot;

2. Close the program, then right-click on the ZA icon and select 'Shutdown.'

3. Reboot your computer.

4. After your computer has rebooted ZoneAlarm will no longer be loaded.

5. - Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs/ or ZoneAlarm
    6. - RIGHT-click on &quot;Uninstall Zone Labs Security&quot;, then select 'Properties'
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive letter
    may
    be different on your system):[*]

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot;

7. - Change it to:

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean&quot;

(add a space and then the
    /clean
    )

8. - Click Apply, then
    OK to save the new command line.
    9. - Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs
    Security
    10. - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    11. - say &quot;Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    12. - Reboot
    13. -
    Now you can re-install the latest version of ZoneAlarm if you wish.<hr><hr>The &quot;simple&quot; add/ remove of ZA will not always work; there is a need to &quot;Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to the 'Overview' -&gt; 'Preferences' tab, and make sure the &quot;Load ZoneAlarm At Startup&quot; box is &quot;Un-Checked.&quot;[*]Start [*]Control Panel [*]<strike>Add and Remove</strike> [*]Highlight ZoneAlarm [*]Remove <hr>The details.[*]
    I've been here for about two years, I've seen many who tried the &quot;simple&quot; add/ remove of ZA - and failed - due to the specfic of not &quot;unloading ZA at start-up&quot; process - critical move. I&quot;ve looked thru most of the 'official ZA un-install instructions' - all will mention the &quot;unload&quot; step. That's why I call it a super tip.[*]Right now, 8.0.65 is not listed in ZA Free history release - but is presumed to soon; most folks are only getting it from direct ZA update notifyers. 8.0.59 is available for ZA Pro, ZA Anti-virus and ZA Suite; but not ZA Free.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-21-2008 06:13 PM[/list]

tallin Guest

5. - Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs/ or ZoneAlarm
    6. - RIGHT-click on &quot;Uninstall Zone Labs Security&quot;, then select 'Properties'
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive letter may
    be different on your system):
    &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot;7. - Change it to:&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean(add a space and then the
    /clean)

Thank you for your post, and further information regarding this complicated uninstall of ZoneAlarm 7.Part of your post above,
    unable to be put in quotes on this forum (If I click the normal quote tab it quotes
    your whole post) not what I want it to do.

I cannot
    execute
    # 6, (marked in bold)
    but can easily find the file &quot;C:\ProgramFiles\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; in My Computer\C:\Drive\Program files\Zone Labs\ ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe
    I know how to change it to
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean without the quotes ( &quot; &quot; ) I presume you mean.
    Could you confirm that:
    1. I can change the file through my C:\ Drive and it is 2. without the quotes
    thank you.
    I did a trial run through your last post and the above portion of your post #6 is the only query I now have to be confirmed before I go ahead and update all the computers under my care to ZoneAlarm 8.
    I really appreciate your patience in this matter, but I cannot afford a mistake either with my own computers or others that do not belong to me though
    in my care at a
    Retirement Village here near to
    where I live.
    Best regards,
    I
    also apologize for the bad formatting, I am missing a quote icon to quote part of
    your post,
    and the bullet tab is maddening to compare with
    what I
    am used to on my home forum WTT. Since starting this reply, I now realise I can use the &quot;Quote Post&quot; tab, then delete the parts of the post I no longer want to quote in my reply to you........phew.......these new forums are stressful to learn the ins and outs of the formatting.

naivemelody Guest

Yes, you had followed a different path. You went thru your &quot;My Computer&quot; files - not the right path. The quotes are there, ok - follow this...

(using a standard
    Home Edition XP SP2/3 computer)<hr>1 -
    left click &gt; Start2
    - left click &gt; All Programs &gt; opens large menu - listing all of your programs/ services3 - scroll mouse pointer
    over to &gt;
    ZoneAlarm Free (or whatever you have named it) &gt; you will see three new paths to the right4 - one of these will say &gt; Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security ( Zone Labs or words to that effect)5 - scroll/ hover mouse pointer over to &gt; Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security6 - now right click on &gt; Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security7 - you will now see a new menu - see bottom &gt; Properties8 - scroll mouse to &gt; Properties &gt; and left click9 - new &quot;Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security Properties&quot; box will open - with Shortcut tab open - you will see one line listed as &gt; Target: &gt; this box will be 'initially' highlighted in deep blue with quotes on first and last10 - it will say this in effect &gt; &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot;11 - as instructed add &gt;
    /clean

&lt; (add a space and then the
    /clean
    ) to the end within the quotes; keep quotes.12 - it will look like this &gt; &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean&quot;13 - continue as instructed...<hr><hr>Side tips: learning to copy paste/ a portion of text from one post to your new message post...1- from another post &gt; hold down left click of mouse an scroll over portion of text you want to copy - you will see a deep blue highlight box over the text if done correctly &gt; release left click when done2 - now right click mouse over any part of blue highlighted area &gt; you will see a menu &gt; now left click &gt; Copy ( you have now copied a portion of text)3 - on your new message post - as you are writing you can paste the 'copied text' anywhere inside your new post by...4 - at the exact point you want to 'paste' - right your mouse &gt; you will see
    &gt; Paste &gt; left click and you will see the copied text5 - this can be done with on-line web articles, word documents, etc. - copy and paste. It's good to know. (I had to learn by myself by looking it up on the web)<hr>tallin, 8.0.65 is only available if you get the update notification thru the update file of each individual pc machine; it isn't available as 'release history update' where everyone can obtain it. click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html - if someone doesn't get an update notice for 8.0.65 they will have to wait; with their 7.0483 till they get theirs.<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-23-2008 10:23 PM

tallin Guest

Thumbs up Re: Alert to install ZoneAlarm 8.0.65.0

It is over a year since I posted here regarding updating all computers from ZoneAlarm free 7.0.483.000 to 8.0.298.000. The nag screens to update were coming thick and fast so decided to take the plunge. The reason I did not do it over a year ago as this thread states, it all looked just too complicated for me to bother.

I do thank Naivemelody for the good service given to me at the time.

I decided to use Revo Uninstaller the latest version which advised me to do the following for which I thank the software. I was advised to install the later version over the top of the old version.

I opened ZoneAlarm by right clicking on the older version near the clock, clicked 'there is an update' more information, which took me to a link where I clicked on "Update Firewall free", and within minutes after the download of the new version to my desktop and installing there it was with not an issue in the world on all computers.

I am glad I waited so long to update as it was so straightforward I couldn't believe it.

Thank you ZoneAlarm for making the updates so much more straightforward for home users and more.

My computers configurations are the following:

PC

Windows XP SP/3,
    Pentium 4Intel P4, 3.0GHZ PRESCOTT ASUS P4S800-MX MOTHERBOARD,
    RAM 2048MB,
    WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
    SONY, 3.5 FLOPPY DRIVE
    80GB, HARD DRIVE
    160GB SEAGATE INTERNAL REMOVABLE E:\DRIVE
    NORTONS GHOST 10
    LITEON DVD+/-R/RW,
    16XBURNERDUAL LAYER,
    Billion Wirless-G ADSL Router
    New 80GB HD installed 5th June 2007

Laptop

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Home SP/3
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
    Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
    Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
    Personalization HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
    Memory 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Hard Drive 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Primary CD/DVD Drive Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
    Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
    Primary Battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Open Office
    OS and Recovery Media System Recovery DVD w/Windows XP/SP3

Wondered why 12 months ago updating ZoneAlarm was just so difficult.

A Happy New Year to all.

kind regards,
    Last edited by tallin; January 2nd, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

naivemelody Guest

Smile Re: ZoneAlarm free 7.0.483 to 8.0.298

"Better late than never" - glad to hear you finally upgraded. Some users are able to upgrade over their previous version; others will need to 'properly un-install'/ for less complications.

Well, ZA has produced their own 'ZA Removal Tool' = specifially to un-install all ZoneAlarm files. And there is a New ZA Free firewall version 9.1.007.002 as of 11-24-09.
    Click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=72086

Don't worry I won't pressure you to upgrade now; it took you 1 year to upgrade from 7 to 8 - I think you can keep using your current ZA intact for now.

But, should you or any of your acquaintances buy a new pc/ laptop with the new Windows 7 - you will need to install ZA versions 9.1+ (see link above).
    __________________________________________________ __________
    NaiveMelody NYC - 1-3-10 - Hold On, I'm Comin' - Sam And Dave
    Last edited by naivemelody; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information