Thread: Cant turn off File Sharing/Discovery with ZA

richy1234 Guest

Default Cant turn off File Sharing/Discovery with ZA

This is my first post here so apologies if in wrong section.

My problem is pretty simple? Recently I bought a laptop (Windows Vista 32-bit) with McAfee and once the free period expired I uninstalled this and downloaded Avast anti-virus (free) and ZoneAlarm v9.1.007.002. Everything seemed to be OK, until I discovered that when ZoneAlarm is ON and Windows Firewall is OFF, the "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" will automatically stay ON and the only way to disable these is to have Windows Firewall ON (along with ZA or on its own). I use my laptop a lot in public places and prefer not to be shown on the local networks which is obviously happening because the Discovery is ON. Last night I disabled the UPnP service and the SSDP service. This morning when I logged onto my machine both the Firewalls were OFF and I started ZA first but still the Network Discovery and File Sharing where on so I had to again switch on Windows Firewall. Admittedly I am no expert on this area regarding Firewalls etc and would be very grateful for any ideas/help.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cant turn off File Sharing/Discovery with ZA

Hi!
    ZA supersedes whatever your OS could say about file sharing. Check under ZA firewall section --> Zones. If you do not want to share your resources (files/printers) to anyone, then your network (or the network you are connecting to while in public places) should be set to INTERNET. Set as trusted you should only have the localhost (127.0.0.0) and the DNS/DHCP.

ZA trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM while Internet zone should be set to HIGH.

Note that ZA cannot run with your VISTA firewall turned ON, they will conflict behind the scene.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

richy1234 Guest

Thanks for quick response. I should have mentioned that I have already set the zone to Internet with High/Medium settings. The thing that I dont understand is that Im currently using my laptop on the internet in a public place and I know from last night that even when I was using just ZoneAlarm on its own, people can still see my laptop on the public network(i.e. I and others can see my computer in the network). Basically my question is can I run ZoneAlarm in Windows Vista (with Windows Firewall OFF) so noone else will see my computer and if so how bearing in mind that I cant switch off discovery without turning Windows FW ON?

Thanks again Fax and others for help.

You should be not discoverable if ZA is set properly. May be the people were seen the network cache rather than you.

I have no other suggestion to give. Sorry. May be other users have better hints to table.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information