Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: automatic updates

  1. #1
    robinrob Guest

    Default automatic updates

    I have my zonealarm set to automatic updates with the latest update showing dat 1009086272 from 3:40pm 1/5/10. The sticky at the top of the forum shows dat 1009127200. Can someone explain that? Do the numbers change that much in one day?

    Thank you,
    Vista SP2 (32-Bit
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    (no 9_3 update)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    17,290

    Default Re: automatic updates

    Yes, they change on average every hour (1 or 2 hours) or even less (30 minutes).

    Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 6th, 2010 at 04:05 AM.

    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Post Re: automatic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by robinrob View Post
    I have my zonealarm set to automatic updates with the latest update showing dat 1009086272 from 3:40pm 1/5/10. The sticky at the top of the forum shows dat 1009127200. Can someone explain that? Do the numbers change that much in one day?

    Thank you,
    Vista SP2 (32-Bit
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    (no 9_3 update)

    I agree with Guru Fax,

    When I update the Sticky at the top of AV/AS topic, I have my ZAX check every 30 minutes, and some time I get a new Update as soon as every 30 minutes, but usually every hour or two..

    I keep a daily log of each change and have seen as many as 12 changes in a day..

    Note: this Post is a Volunteer effort for Comparision purposes ONLY and MAY be updated 4 to 12 times per day..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  4. #4
    robinrob Guest

    Default Re: automatic updates

    The difference between the two numbers is 40,928 so I guess they don't use sequential numbers?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: automatic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by robinrob View Post
    The difference between the two numbers is 40,928 so I guess they don't use sequential numbers?
    Sorry, We are all Users here in this User Forum, none of us have any control over the Numbering sequence..

    maybe Customer Support can find out for you..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  6. #6
    robinrob Guest

    Default Re: automatic updates

    I vaguely remember from years ago when I first started using zonealarm and you had to go to the website and download the latest dat and the numbers would change from 16 to 17 to 18 and it gave you an idea of how many you had missed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: automatic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by robinrob View Post
    I vaguely remember from years ago when I first started using zonealarm and you had to go to the website and download the latest dat and the numbers would change from 16 to 17 to 18 and it gave you an idea of how many you had missed.
    That was Many years ago when ZoneAlarm used "CA" Computer & Associates to provide their Anti-Virus DAT files..

    That was Removed and Replaced with a Better AV engine by "Kaspersky"

    and now ZA ver. 9.1 uses anew Faster Unifided AV/AS Engine by Kaspersky..

    New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine:
    • Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan
    • More advanced scan options- riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
    • Additional on-access scan controls
    • On-access scanning now detects spyware
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  8. #8
    robinrob Guest

    Default Re: automatic updates

    Now that I think about it, I think I was using Mcafee back then with Zone Alarm as firewall only. Kaspersky seems to do a good job. The reviews I've seen rate it pretty high.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •