Thread: check Adobe's web site for a security alert

oldwin2000guy Guest

Default check Adobe's web site for a security alert

Your basic zone alarm product protected me from the worst of the Internet Security 2010 malware. A security flaw in Adobe Reader allowed a downloaded pdf, containing trojan horse javascript to start downloading this puppy. ZA notified me that something was trying to access the internet w/o my knowlege and I was able to prevent the main part of the malware from getting installed on my machine.

It did require some cleaning up of registry settings and bad exes, but from what I've read on other sites, I had it easy. Other's weren't so lucky and needed to mount their boot drive from the infected computer as a mountable drive on a second non-infected computer in order to remove this puppy.

My advice is - make sure you require Adobe and other products to ask permission before it can access the internet. Make them ask even if they want to do automatic updates.

And Oh - If you've installed Adobe Reader 8.1 recently, check Adobe's web site for a security alert which tells you how to turn off JavaScript.

Oldwin2000guy
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 9th, 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Default Re: check Adobe's web site for a security alert

Quote Originally Posted by oldwin2000guy View Post
    Your basic zone alarm product protected me from the worst of the Internet Security 2010 malware. A security flaw in Adobe Reader allowed a downloaded pdf, containing trojan horse javascript to start downloading this puppy. ZA notified me that something was trying to access the internet w/o my knowlege and I was able to prevent the main part of the malware from getting installed on my machine.

It did require some cleaning up of registry settings and bad exes, but from what I've read on other sites, I had it easy. Other's weren't so lucky and needed to mount their boot drive from the infected computer as a mountable drive on a second non-infected computer in order to remove this puppy.

My advice is - make sure you require Adobe and other products to ask permission before it can access the internet. Make them ask even if they want to do automatic updates.

And Oh - If you've installed Adobe Reader 8.1 recently, check Adobe's web site for a security alert which tells you how to turn off JavaScript.

Oldwin2000guy
    Security Advisory for Adobe Reader and Acrobat at this link :

http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsa09-07.html

This is my current version : Adobe Reader 9.2 running on Windows XP SP3

You can also check if your PC has a minimum security baseline against known patched vulnerabilities at this link :

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Have a nice Day

findley Guest

Oldwin2000guy
    There is more information on this rogue antispyware and a removal guide for Internet security 2010 here

Keeping Adobe Reader updated is very important IMO and version 8 is old and vulnerable. There are also free alternatives to Adobe Reader which can be used. Two of these alternatives are Foxit PDF Reader and PDF-Xchange Viewer.

Findley

Your basic zone alarm product protected me from the worst of the Internet Security 2010 malware.
    Oldwin2000guy
    Also, in the future you can do the following or if in doubt .

Sticky : Malware Clean-up Guidance

At this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 9th, 2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: forgot " Have a nice Day " & rephrase

naivemelody Guest

Exclamation Re: Please update your Adobe Reader

oldwin2000guy, I would like to reiterate what SeniorMember findley has mentioned: if your still using an old version of Adobe Reader 8.1 and it is now currently running at 9.2 your leaving your pc wide open to attacks on the Adobe software (no matter what kind of other security software you may have or measures you take) Please update your Adobe Reader.

Click here > http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsa09-07.html <> Adobe plans to make available an update to Adobe Reader and Acrobat by January 12, 2010 to resolve the issue.

More info, click here > http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html
    __________________________________________________ _________
    NaiveMelody NYC - 1-10-10 - I Should Have Known Better - The Beatles

I agree with all the Advise given by our Senior Members..

also don't forget to download and run the "Secunia" utility that Sky Soldiers advised you to use, it is the quickest was of Finding and updating all outdated files on your computer.

Your primary line of defence is essential to keep your system up to date and secure.

You can also check if your PC has a minimum security baseline against known patched vulnerabilities at this link :

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 14th, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: fix typos
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information