Thread: Another "Fake" Security Program

Amariel Guest

Default Another "Fake" Security Program

I've been reading about these, and it seems I got one from a site I frequent. I didn't even have to tell anything to download, it just did it on its own. Couldn't get it deleted, until I told ZASS to Kill all the version of it I saw. Then I could delete the exe file. Found two copies of a trojan during scan: Trojan.Win32.FraudPack.ajvf. Deleted those. Didn't see any more weird folders or anything in my registry that suggests it's still there. Cleared out temp internet files. But now IE won't connect to the internet, and neither will ZASS antivirus update. I'm typing this using Firefox. I'm hoping that a simple computer restart will fix the issues iwth IE and ZASS updates, but I'm worried if I do something bad will happen. Another ZASS scan showed no more trojans. Smart Scan with Ad-Aware showed only cookies, which were deleted. Do you think I got rid of the trojan and the fake program? Or should I scan with some other stuff? Oh, found the file. Named Sandboxie Start, file name cdrmsysguard.exe
    Last edited by Amariel; January 9th, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Default Re: Another "Fake" Security Program

Hi!
    first remove all other spyware tools you have installed other than ZA and follow closely all what suggested here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

You can keep MBAM or superantispyware but please remove all the other junk tools. They are not effective.

Are you running the latest ZASS version? If the exe installed by itself (I doubt it since at list the ZA toolbar should have popped up with a dialog box for installing something) it means you are running vulnerable tools. May the OS or IE or others. Please update fully all your computer.

Check for vulnerability here:
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information