Thread: Constant Disk Access after installing a Router

Hybrid View

curtis72 Guest

Default Constant Disk Access after installing a Router

Hi All

I wonder if someone can help.

After installing a D-link DIR-120 wired router my hard drive is being constantly accessed. I've run process monitor and it seems to be VSMON.exe that is writing an internet log file IAMDB.RDB constantly to the disk. I think this is something to do with Zonealarm. But it never did this until I installed the router. Any ideas how I can resolve this problem, as it's really slowing my system down. Thanks Curtis

Default Re: Constant Disk Access after installing a Router

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

curtis72 Guest

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately that still didn't work. It's still churning away.

Any other ideas?

Hi!
    Which version of ZA are you running? (right click on the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> Copy to clipboard --> paste it here...

It may be perfectly normal considering that vsmon is also the antivirus scanner and you may be under a scan.

Cheers,
    fax

curtis72 Guest

Here's the ZA version info.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1009555008
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

I've also got AntiVir installed. I turned off ZA anti virus but that didn't make any difference. So I turned it back on.

Before I installed the router I never had this disk excess problem. I even turn off the firewall on the router, but that didn't make any difference either.

We'll get there in the end, hopefully.

Thanks for your help.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by curtis72 View Post
    I've also got AntiVir installed

Sorry you can't run two AV at the same time. Turning off ZA AV will not help since main system dll and drivers wil be still running and loading at boot.

ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avast free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comodo, Rising, PC Doctor, MSE, Avira and many others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.

Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility
    http://www.appremover.com/

Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here: http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showpost...07&postcount=2

Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.com
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim

Re-download the ZASS installer
    www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/

Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.

During the first days of opeation your ZA will be scanning your system. It is normal to experience disk activity.

--------------

If instead you want to keep AVIRA you will need to remove ZASS and install a firewall solution only (e.g. ZAPRO)

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information