Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

keephoping Guest

Default IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

I updated to ver 9.1.008 from ver 9.0.083 of Extreme Security version and then I could not open IE7 without turning off virtualization. Running XP SP2.

I did the following but it DID NOT FIX the problem (although maybe it's essential to do it at least once? Doubt it though).

- Close all browsers
    - Open ZoneAlarm -> click on Browser Security -> Settings
    - In Settings click Advanced tab
    - Clear virtual data and click OK
    - Turn Off ForceField

- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options
    - Click Delete -> Delete Temporary Internet Files
    - Security (Tab) -> Default Level
    - Advanced (Tab) -> Restore advanced settings

Bottom line, here's what I found will get IE to open with virtualization enabled.

Start by closing IE if it's open (I don't know if this is important).

1) [This step might not be needed] Under Browser Security Force Field Settings Advanced, enable virtualization and clear virtual data. Click OK.
    2) Then turn off virtualization and clear the virtual data (clearing at this time might not be necessary). Click OK. Leave Force Field enabled.
    3) Open IE.
    4) Clear virtual data (this causes IE to close on my system).
    5) Enable virtualization BUT DO *NOT* CLEAR THE VIRTUAL DATA AGAIN. Click OK.

Now IE7 opens with virtualization enabled.

However, it seems that whenever IE7 hangs due to Force Field (IE and Force Field seem to get out of sync or something), I have to clear virtual data again to fix it. But then I have to go through those new steps again. Fortunately it only takes a few seconds. And it's likely that step#1 isn't necessary.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by keephoping; January 14th, 2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: might not be neccessary to clear virtual data in step#2

Default Re: IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

While ZA 9.1 will run on a (Minimal System Windows XP SP2), ZoneAlarm 9.1 was Designed to Function Better, if Windows XP is Fully Updated to Windows XP "SP3", plus all the Extra Critical Updated Released by MicroSoft after Service Pack 3..

No Security Software of any Brand can protect you from the Critical Problems in WinXP SP2 that were Fixed by MicroSoft with the Service Pack 3 and Suplimental Critical Updates, Until you Upgrade WinXP to SP3..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 14th, 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by keephoping View Post
    I updated to ver 9.1.008 from ver 9.0.083 of Extreme Security version and then I could not open IE7 without turning off virtualization. Running XP SP2.
    I don't use IE nor ZoneAlarm Extreme Security.I use standalone ForceField version.

On standalone version of ForceField, I have it set to start at boot with all defaults.I don't know if this is the case in Extreme Security.In my case Virtualization is Enable all the time.

If this is not the case in Extreme Security.I would suggest to enable Virtualization and keep it enable.

Footnote : Under Browser Security / ForceField, if you need to turn ForceField ON/OFF do so but with Virtualization enable, to prevent malicious programs from reaching your computer when surfing the web.This is the power behind ForceField.

When updating, Add-ons, Plugins, and rearranging Favorites in your browser.Remember to turn ForceField OFF.After you have configure your browser, then close your browser and turn ON ForceField and Clear virtual data.This shouldl assure no issues or corruption in your browser.

I would also suggest to update to IE8

Also as suggested, update to SP3.See why at this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72318

Read the Browser Security Help Center at this link :
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fo...tml/wwhelp.htm

Have no other suggestions to address your issue unless other users might want to provide input.

ZoneAlarm provides free Technical Support with a current ZoneAlarm license.Contact Support for direct one-on-one chat / text-based communication in real time.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.7
    ForceField Version 1.5.053.049 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1009674368
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

keephoping Guest

After I first installed ver 9.1, and enabled virtualization, I couldn't open IE7 from the get-go. I tried many things including stopping ZAES and deleting its temporary files in my Temp folder, emptying the recycle bin, and all of the standard recommended steps I listed, etc. And none of that seemed to make a difference.

I leave virtualization always enabled but it still gets confused at times and I have to go through my reset procedure. It's quick, but I do have to reload any web pages that were previously open to get back to them.

Up to now, I've been afraid of screwing up my system with IE8 or SP3. I do having disk imaging software, but I don't like to revert back to saved images (except for emergencies)cuz I'm not 100% confident it will always work right. And I have been using Zone Alarm which should have been protecting me as well as windows SP3 or IE8 (I hope). But now ZAES 9.1 is not as stable on my system as 9.0. I'm kinda hoping a new version will be released soon that takes care of that problem.

But I will have to upgrade from SP2 to SP3 (and probably to IE8) within the next few months because of the termination of support for SP2 this summer.

Thanks for the feedback.

But I will have to upgrade from SP2 to SP3 (and probably to IE8) within the next few months because of the termination of support for SP2 this summer.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, that's what you need to do.Apart from that, In reading some of your other posts.It's very possible that you have corrupted Extreme Security.

I would suggest that you clean uninstall/reinstall, but that's up to you.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue unless other users might want to provide input.

ZoneAlarm provides free Technical Support with a current ZoneAlarm license.Contact Support for direct one-on-one chat / text-based communication in real time.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 14th, 2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo & reword

keephoping Guest

Sky Soldiers says: "Apart from that, In reading some of your other posts.It's very possible that you have corrupted Extreme Security."

Doubt it. I initially did a clean install of the new version and it didn't work right off (IE7 would not open).

I then did a clean reinstall of the previous ver and then, instead of a clean insall, I updated to the newer version. That actually seemed to work for a while, but then it crapped out.

Since ZAES puts it's virtual folders in my Temp folder, it should be fair game for it to be cleared away when ZAES has been stopped. That didn't seem to fix anything by itself, though.

But now I don't have to mess with those folders (for the time being) because I can use my reset procedure. It's possible I might grow intolerant of the occassional browser hang, though.

Thanks again.

Sky Soldiers says: "Apart from that, In reading some of your other posts.It's very possible that you have corrupted Extreme Security."

Doubt it. I initially did a clean install of the new version and it didn't work right off (IE7 would not open).

I then did a clean reinstall of the previous ver and then, instead of a clean insall, I updated to the newer version. That actually seemed to work for a while, but then it crapped out.

Since ZAES puts it's virtual folders in my Temp folder, it should be fair game for it to be cleared away when ZAES has been stopped. That didn't seem to fix anything by itself, though.

But now I don't have to mess with those folders (for the time being) because I can use my reset procedure. It's possible I might grow intolerant of the occassional browser hang, though.

Thanks again.

If ForceField done the way I explain at this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...326#post274326

and this :

If using a download manager.Download to the "ForceField Shared Files" located in "C:\Users\username\Documents\ForceField Shared Files" (for VISTA) or C:\Document and Settings\username\MyDocuments\ForceField Shared Files" (in XP).

If you manually initiate the download files yourself, you are able to change the location to save them.

You shouldn't have any issues with ForceField.I never have any issues done this way.I use ForceField with Firefox, but this should also apply to ForceField and IE.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue unless other users might want to provide input.You have the link to Support if you think this will not resolve your issues.

Have a nice Day

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1009690688
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 14th, 2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo & current DAT

keephoping Guest

Start by closing IE if it's open (I don't know if this is important).

1) [This step might not be needed] Under Browser Security Force Field Settings Advanced, enable virtualization and clear virtual data. Click OK.
    2) Then turn off virtualization and clear the virtual data (clearing at this time might not be necessary). Click OK. Leave Force Field enabled.
    3) Open IE.
    4) Clear virtual data (this causes IE to close on my system).
    5) Enable virtualization BUT DO *NOT* CLEAR THE VIRTUAL DATA AGAIN. Click OK.

Now IE7 opens with virtualization enabled.
    I have found that I don't need step #1 of the above instructions (although it might be needed for exceptions). And it is slightly quicker to access the virtual data settings using the ZoneAlarm button in IE8.

1) Turn virtualizaton OFF. Click OK.
    2) Open IE.
    3) Clear virtual data (to do this, optionally use the ZoneAlarm button in IE to quickly navigate to virtualizaton settings). Do NOT click OK. IE will close.
    4) Now enable virtualizaton and click OK *WITHOUT* clearing virtual data again.

Now you can open IE with virtualization enabled.

However, I find that whenever I clear virtual data, I have to repeat the above procedure. And, it's probably a good idea to clear it relatively frequently to obliterate anything that might be harmful.

Does anyone else find that they must use steps like this to get IE8 (or IE7) to open with virtualizaton enabled for ver 9.1 of ZAES?

And, after getting it to run using this odd technique, has anyone tested that the virtualization actually works?

Does anyone else find that they must use steps like this to get IE8 (or IE7) to open with virtualizaton enabled for ver 9.1 of ZAES?
    No, LOL. I never had to do this to have IE8 to open with virtualization enabled (even when I was beta testing ZAX). Something is surely not good at your end also considering the many other problems you are posting in here

Out of couriosity, are you running ZAX at default or you have started turning ON advanced feature like component control or time attack ? Have you implemented any specific LUA (Limited User account) or SRP (software restriction policy) approaches on the system?

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 21st, 2010 at 08:12 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

keephoping Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    No, LOL. I never had to do this to have IE8 to open with virtualization enabled (even when I was beta testing ZAX). Something is surely not good at your end also considering the many other problems you are posting in here

Out of couriosity, are you running ZAX at default or you have started turning ON advanced feature like component control or time attack ? Have you implemented any specific LUA (Limited User account) or SRP (software restriction policy) approaches on the system?

Cheers,
    Fax
    sure it's funny, but it seems to get it working.

I had enabled component control, but if I temporarily disable it, no difference. I have not implemented a LUA or SRP.

This doesn't happen with ver 9.0 of ZAX. So it's not like my system is necessarily way messed up (I rarely install anything, I only install essentials -- and only after I confirm the source of the program appears reliable, and no downloading of games). Because IE7 was working and IE8 might not, I held off until yesterday installing IE8 from IE7 . I've held off installing SP3 because SP2 works and SP3 might not. Instead, I take precautionary steps for security, including using ZoneAlarm. I understand that I'll have to upgrade to SP3 before support is terminated.

The only other problem I was having with ZAX was that the registry key would not get modified during install (perhaps due to an older ver of regedit previously existing in some arcane folder that may have been pointed to somehow during install). The other problem I posted was related to installing a downloader to test virtualization mode -- that downloader inserted something screwy outside the browser and Chrome was also affected (had trouble opening websites with images).

One thing I think ZAX should catch but doesn't is that I occassionally get that fake antivirus offer to check my machine which opens a dialog box for YES/NO in the browser (I've accidently hit "X" (close) instead of using TaskManager to kill the process and the fake thing starts running). I've scanned using MalwareBytes and ZoneAlarm (ultra deep and rootkit). Nothing found. But the fake antivirus dialog comes back sometimes. I'd like to think that ZoneAlarm would know how to prevent that from running -- but it doesn't (virtualization is on).
    Last edited by keephoping; January 21st, 2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: same content, minor edit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information