Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

Default Re: IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

Hi!
    The issue of fake pop-up is alarming. It means your system is infected since you should not get popup of this kind unless you visit certain sites. I am not surprised you get this pop-up since you are still at SP2. This means potentially 100s of bugs and vulnerabilities which ZA or any other tool cannot protect against.

The registry issue is related to the impossibility of writing the value in your registry this is due to other processes accessing the key or the registry entry (or entire registry sections) been restricted to read only.

You should keep ZAX fully at default level since under certain conditions ZAX may act weirdly including inability to open the browser. Wait for the next version for playing with advanced feature in ZA program control.

I would warmly suggest you upgrade to SP3 and then get your system checked by SpywareHammer or BleepingComputer malware experts.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 21st, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

keephoping Guest

Default Re: IE7 (IE8?) does not open when virtualization is enabled. This fixes it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!
    The issue of fake pop-up is alarming. It means your system is infected since you should not get popup of this kind unless you visit certain sites.
    I think this fake antivirus scanner might only reside within the browser environment and does not exist as a file that can be found by malware and antivirus scanning. I've seen reports that it doesn't actually do anything to the system (fingers crossed) -- it just makes $$ off of people who "purchase" it.

Still, now that ZAX is more integrated into the browser, seems it should be able to catch and stop this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by keephoping View Post
    I think this fake antivirus scanner might only reside within the browser environment and does not exist as a file
    Is not as simple as you describe it. If you are receiving pop-ups regardless the site you visit then you should seriously investigating it since pop-ups may appear on clean site if your system has been altered by malware. What could be said has been said. Up to you to follow it or not. For the rest you should address ZA support directly. We have already covered the common ZA knowledge here. That is the objective of this forum.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

keephoping Guest

1) Turn virtualizaton OFF. Click OK.
    2) Open IE.
    3) Clear virtual data (to do this, optionally use the ZoneAlarm button in IE to quickly navigate to virtualizaton settings). Do NOT click OK. IE will close.
    4) Now enable virtualizaton and click OK *WITHOUT* clearing virtual data again.

Now you can open IE with virtualization enabled.
    In case this actually helps someone...

Even quicker, this seems to work for me now:
    1) Disable virtualization but DON'T click OK to close that settings screen yet.
    2) Click Clear Virtual Data.
    3) Enable virtualization and click OK *WITHOUT* clearing virtual data again. Now click OK to exit the settings screen.

Now IE opens in virtualization mode with cleared virtual data.

Again, if anyone else has this kind of issue, I'd like to hear about it.

keephoping Guest

I updated to ver 9.1.008 from ver 9.0.083 of Extreme Security version and then I could not open IE7 without turning off virtualization. Running XP SP2.
    *SOLUTON FOUND (for now)*: After installing ZAES 9.1, an AUTOMATIC UPDATE to the Browser Security seems to have been the cause of my problem of not being able to open IE7 and IE8 with virtualization enabled in ZA Extreme Security (at least this is one major problem found so far). To prevent this update, turn off the automatic update in the Browser Settings -- it is not enough to turn off automatic updates in the Overview Preferences. Then don't use manual update until you have some confidence it's okay to do so with respect to this issue.

After first installing ZAES 9.1, IE8 opened fine and I could clear the virtual data without any problems with virtualization enabled. But when I received the first automatic browser security update that said something about it being for Firefox, after rebooting I could no longer open IE8 in virtualization mode. I had rebooted prior to that after first install ZAES. So it wasn't merely rebooting that was the cause. In fact, I had made all of my normal settings for ZAES and rebooted and everything worked up until the browser security update.

On my machine, it took several minutes (maybe 10?) before the browser security automatically updated, but I wouldn't waste too much time in disabling it after reinstalling ZA Extreme Security.

keephoping Guest

Because I provided a "trick" procedure to get IE to open when virtualization is enabled, I also want to add that I have since learned that virtualization for IE probably was NOT actually working properly when tricked in that manner. In this same thread here, you can find the better solution I found for getting IE to open.

Please see the following link for a test that checks whether virtualization is operating: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?p=274733#post274733
    Last edited by keephoping; January 24th, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information