Thread: [Solved] De-Installation lead to complete crash of system

Nichtidentisches Guest

Smile [Solved] De-Installation lead to complete crash of system

Hi,

I wanted to uninstall Zone-Alarm and proceeded the usual way. It recommended shutdown and restart. So I agreed. After that nothing works any more. It won't show the password screen. It starts, checks harddisk and then shows windows-symbol. After that blank black screen and endless calculating. After 15 minutes I restarted and tried several times recovery mode (that wanted some commands that I don't know about, so i disrupted) and secured mode - all end in a black screen with one blinking bar on the upper left. Same with "start last known functioning version".

System: Windows XP Professional, Acre 220 Travelmate with 750 mb Ram. It was running smoothly before the de-installation of Zone-Alarm - with one exception. Tuneup-Utilities showed a message, that zone-alarm would not be active though it was running. therefore I downloaded a new version of zone-alarm with the intention of installing it after uninstalling the old version. Now everything is blank screen - no nice.

What to do?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 13th, 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Post Re: De-Installation lead to complete crash of system

Quote Originally Posted by Nichtidentisches View Post
    Hi,

I wanted to uninstall Zone-Alarm and proceeded the usual way. It recommended shutdown and restart. So I agreed. After that nothing works any more. It won't show the password screen. It starts, checks harddisk and then shows windows-symbol. After that blank black screen and endless calculating. After 15 minutes I restarted and tried several times recovery mode (that wanted some commands that I don't know about, so i disrupted) and secured mode - all end in a black screen with one blinking bar on the upper left. Same with "start last known functioning version".

System: Windows XP Professional, Acre 220 Travelmate with 750 mb Ram. It was running smoothly before the de-installation of Zone-Alarm - with one exception. Tuneup-Utilities showed a message, that zone-alarm would not be active though it was running. therefore I downloaded a new version of zone-alarm with the intention of installing it after uninstalling the old version. Now everything is blank screen - no nice.

What to do?

1.) what Type and Version of Zone Alarm) *Free, AV, Pro, Suite, Extreme ( Ver 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 9.1)

2.) Did you use Windows ADD/Remove to de-install Zone Alarm?
    If you used this method while Zone Alarm was still Active, can prevent you from Re-connecting to the Internet.

3.)or did you properly SHUT DOWN Zone Alarm (Overview/Preference)
    Did you use the Zone Alarm Removal tool..

ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here <A href="http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/cpes_clean.exe" target=_blank>http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

4.) This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type and ZA version number , Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 15th, 2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Nichtidentisches Guest

Default Re: De-Installation lead to complete crash of system

Hi, thanks for fast reply.

1. Free version
    2. I used start - zonealarm - uninstall. Like any program. Then a window popped up and asked the usual stuff like do you allow the program to uninstall. The problem is not reconnecting but a total crash, no restart possible, no password-screen.
    3. I did not shut down before acting as above - sorry, but ZA should have asked me to shut it down before uninstalling, this is the usual way user friendly programs work normally.
    4. It is a Laptop, Acre Travelmate 220, Windows XP Professional, other security programs: Spybot, Avira-antivir, CC-Cleaner.

The problem is mainly, that i can't restart, even secured mode leads to endless calculating before the password screen, what other option do i have to reboot? Or what commands do I have to type in with the recovery mode? Why does the "last known functioning version" also lead to endless calculating?

Nichtidentisches Guest

No reply? Thats a pity. How could lead the deinstallation of a program lead to a total crash?

Quote Originally Posted by Nichtidentisches View Post
    No reply? Thats a pity. How could lead the deinstallation of a program lead to a total crash?

I'm Sorry, the free version offer no support. You get what you pay for. For retail version of ZA, users have free support via live chat.

I gave you instructions on Safely un-installing Zone Alarm..
    If you experienced a Total Crash while Uninstalling ZA Free, Then You probably had more wrong with your Computer, than the FREE Firewall?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 29th, 2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

RCG001 Guest

A note for others experiencing a similar problem. The ZoneAlarm Removal tool cited in the earlier posting;

ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here <A href="http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/cpes_clean.exe" target=_blank>http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

solved my problem installing ZoneAlarm on Windows XP Professional. My situation was not an uninstall, but a failed install that apparently left the system in an unstable site. Any further attempts to install ZoneAlarm resulted in a blue screen lockup.

Solution was to run the Removal Tool, then reinstall ZoneAlarm.

RCG

Thread Information