Thread: How to test that ForceField is working?

keephoping Guest

Default How to test that ForceField is working?

If anyone knows of ways to test that ForceField is working (especially Virtualization) please provide your suggestions. Thank you.
    Last edited by keephoping; January 16th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: How to test that ForceField is working?

Quote Originally Posted by keephoping View Post
    If anyone knows of ways to test that ForceField is working (especially Virtualization) please provide your suggestions. Thank you.
    Anything you choose to download can be saved to your computer.If you manually initiate the download files yourself, you are able to change the location to save them.

One sure way to test is to use unattended downloads typically Download Managers.

Download some files and save them any where else other than ForceField Shared Files.

e.g. See how Virtualization worked at this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...324#post274324

Help at this link :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fo...tml/wwhelp.htm

BTW : Hope you got to read this post at this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...335#post274335

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.7
    ForceField Version 1.5.053.049 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1009821536
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 16th, 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo & added another link, new DAT file

keephoping Guest

Other than for testing ForceField, I have no need for a download manager and would prefer not to install one on my machine unless absolutely necessary.

Are there any other ideas from anyone for testing (I'd like to know about as many as possible)?

keephoping Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    Anything you choose to download can be saved to your computer.If you manually initiate the download files yourself, you are able to change the location to save them.

One sure way to test is to use unattended downloads typically Download Managers.

Download some files and save them any where else other than ForceField Shared Files.
    Okay, as was suggested, I installed Orbit Download Manager and set up a scheduled unattended download. And it DID download to folder "C:\My Documents\Download".

So, what if Orbit Download Manager goes directly to the URL and downloads the target file? How does my browser's ForceField virtualization prevent a download manager from directly accessing the web (assuming that's what the download manager does)?
    Last edited by keephoping; January 19th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Okay, as was suggested, I installed Orbit Download Manager and set up a scheduled unattended download. And it DID download to folder "C:\My Documents\Download".

So, what if Orbit Download Manager goes directly to the URL and downloads the target file? How does my browser's ForceField virtualization prevent a download manager from directly accessing the web (assuming that's what the download manager does)?
    Don't know how Orbit works but if it is a standalone application connecting to sites then its not the way to test ZA forcefield

You could simply go to a site that needs, for example, the windows media player add-in (not the WMP but the addin only) or any other browser plugin that does not use an executable to install but does it fully via the browser.

Install it with the virtualization ON, then clean the virtual data.... at this point the plug in should be broken.
    NOTE that the plugin should not be already present in a non protected session otherwise it will not work.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 19th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

This is the difference between the example I gave you and the download you executed.

Anything you choose to download can be saved to your computer.If you manually initiated the download files yourself, you are able to change the location to save them.

Digital signing confirms the software author and that the code has not been altered or corrupted since it was created.

In your case, I think what's happening here is that since you initiated the download.ForceField determined the download was digitally signed therefore allowed it to pass the Virtualization shield and be saved to your computer and was not trap in the virtual file system.

You would be warned if ZoneAlarm browser security detected something dangerous about the file you were attempting to download.

I have no other suggestions to address your question.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 19th, 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

keephoping Guest

... I installed Orbit Download Manager ...".
    Warning:
    I had XPSP2 with IE7 and Chrome. After installing Orbit Download Manager, both IE7 and Chrome had great difficulties accessing the web -- even after uninstalling Orbit Download Manager.

I don't know if it was some kind of coincidence that made it look like Orbit caused problems. But since I wanted to upgrade to IE8 anyway, I decided to do it now that there was a problem with IE7 in the hopes the upgrade would overwrite drivers that the download manager might have messed with.

After the first reboot to finish installing IE8, the problem was still there (while I had kept ZAES from starting during bootup). However, after another reboot, IE8 and chrome started working alright again.

I'm mentioning this here cuz I made reference to Orbit and anyone who might want to install it should do their due dilligence about whether it is a good idea or not.
    Last edited by keephoping; January 20th, 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: nothing new... just changed a few words for a little more clarity

keephoping Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    ... You could simply go to a site that needs, for example, the windows media player add-in (not the WMP but the addin only) ....

Install it with the virtualization ON, then clean the virtual data.... at this point the plug in should be broken.
    NOTE that the plugin should not be already present in a non protected session otherwise it will not work.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Sounds okay. I'll look into this at some point. Thanks.

keephoping Guest

If anyone knows of ways to test if ForceField is working (especially Virtualization) please provide your suggestions. Thank you.
    I have found what seems like a method for testing if virutalization is performing properly (at least in some regards).

I was advised at this forum to visit a site to check whether my software was up to date with the latest security patches. That is a site which requests permission to run a Java script. If you have ForceField virtualizaton enabled when you give the Java script permission (and check off that you want to aways allow that site), then NO CERTIFICATE for that website should be placed in Control Panel> Java> Security Tab> Certificates (that's the Java Control Panel).

If ForceField virtualization is disabled or otherwise not working properly, a trusted certificate WILL be placed in the Java Control Panel (and you can remove it if you want). It should not be put there if virtualization is operating.

If virtualization is working, and you clear virtual data in ForceField, then the next time you visit the same website with that Java script, it will once again ask for permission to load the script -- even though you already gave it "permanent" permission.

You can find that website in the following forum post:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...647#post274647
    Last edited by keephoping; January 22nd, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: minor--nothing new added

Thread Information