Thread: does on access scan in 9.x really work?

mp63 Guest

Exclamation does on access scan in 9.x really work?

a day ago i received a fake UPS tracking message with a zipfile attached that contains "Backdoor.Win32.Bredolab.btt" - ZAEX 9.1 did not catch it !!!
    when I manually scan the folder containing the message it gets immediately detected and quarantened; works as well if the zipfile is in a folder on the desktop and i manually scan that folder.

i checked my settings over and again - on access read&write with in depth (zips included) is checked but does not seem to work!!!

i can copy/paste the zipfile anywhere on my drives without intervention from the scanner. tried to resend the attachment to myself - bang, there it sits in my inbox - untreated!

I feel badly unprotected; has anybody similar issues with 9.x ? Plz Help!

Default Re: does on access scan in 9.x really work?

Hi!
    yes, its normal and by design. ZA will detect it 'on access'. There is no use of loading the system/CPU with the scanning of the zip that unless decompressed and executed is per se harmless.

Not that we are ALL users here, ZA staff does not monitor this forum. If you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA customer or technical support at the link in my signature

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mp63 Guest

Exclamation Re: does on access scan in 9.x really work?

i recall my older versions of ZA nicely removing such harmful payload or at least dropping the mail in question into a Zonealarm-phishing or challenged mail subfolder - this one sits right there in my outlook inbox !!!

also i tried to re-send this mail to myself - it worked - meaning the outbound filtering is useless as well. it could have spread to other recipients easily. this is not a feature - this is a bug!

is there any way of monitoring if maybe something in my xp is preventing ZAeX from doing its job?

(and no, i do not run any other antivirus or adware product and yes i have a valid license)

Default Re: does on access scan in 9.x really work?

Quote Originally Posted by mp63 View Post
    i recall my older versions of ZA nicely removing such harmful payload or at least dropping the mail in question into a Zonealarm-phishing or challenged mail subfolder - this one sits right there in my outlook inbox !!!
    No, this is the ZA junk mail filter not the 'on access' scan. Please note that 'On access' means when you access the file. In other words, the potential threat will be detected when you try to open it. Its important also that you consider that, in compressed form, the file cannot execute or infect. Security wise you will be perfectly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mp63 View Post
    also i tried to re-send this mail to myself - it worked - meaning the outbound filtering is useless as well. it could have spread to other recipients easily. this is not a feature - this is a bug!
    is there any way of monitoring if maybe something in my xp is preventing ZAeX from doing its job?
    No bug, ZA has always been like this. This has been discussed many times in here. You have been informed on the ZA features and how they work. Unless you have other ZA product related issue I will close this thread since there is not much to add to the above

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issue.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 19th, 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information