Thread: [SOLVED] Dr.Web flagged ZoneAlarm file as MyWebSearch

CrowsCountCoup Guest

Question [SOLVED] Dr.Web flagged ZoneAlarm file as MyWebSearch

Dr Web scanner has flagged some files for removal and I would like to know if these are legitimate files or not - the zBARSPINSTALL.EXE with and without the \data001

Thanks

Details:

Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\zone alarm\zlsSetUp_70_483_000_en.exe\z4BARSPINSTALL.EX E\data001

and

Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\zone alarm\zlsSetUp_70_470_000_en.exe\z4BARSPINSTALL.EX E\data001

The file is identified as adware.mywebsearch.22

At the time it asked me what I wanted to do I did not realize these are just my update files and I can just delete them. However it begs the question of whether the Adware was downloaded embedded in the update, or did malware attach itself.

Your thoughts?

Default Re: Dr.Web flagged ZoneAlarm file as MyWebSearch

Quote Originally Posted by CrowsCountCoup View Post
    Your thoughts?
    Outdated installer of ZA, we are at version 9. Approximately two years forward that installer?

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

CrowsCountCoup Guest

I am sorry I was not clear.

The files are my update files in a folder where I put ALL ZA update files (hence it was possible for more than one update file to be flagged ) . I already recognized that they were old, but as I said I did not realize what they were when DrWeb flagged them.

My question is whether the Adware was downloaded embedded in the update, or did malware attach itself. Is(was if you prefer) zlsSetUp_70_483_000_en.exe\z4BARSPINSTALL.EX E\data001 a legitimate file (or was it changed by malware)?

Thank you

Edit: If malware altered the file then I wonder how it got past AVG Zone Alarm and AdAware and could its existance on my pc be related to other malware
    Last edited by CrowsCountCoup; January 18th, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Follow up question

A false positive on DrWeb due to the Ask toolbar in ZA 7.
    No malware, no malicious content just irrelevant detection.

Cheers,
    Fax

CrowsCountCoup Guest

Ah, okay. Thanks. That is a relief. I've been battling a nasty virus that downloaded malware and infected > 100 files. It got past firewall antivirus and anti-adware software and I do not play online games, download music etc and I never use P2P . Mostly I read! It has taken me multiple new software tools to get rid of most of it but still DrWeb found things. So I am very relieved that the file is a false positive!

Like your icon/avatar

Thanks!

Thread Information