Thread: How to set 'rules' simplified?

PalinWA Guest

Default How to set 'rules' simplified?

Ok, what I want to do is to prevent every single program on my computer from internet access (completely blocked so I can be the 'judge' to decide which program will have internet access. I spend all day yesterday reading the instructions and they are so convoluted and complex and so user unfriendly I don't even think a human wrote them. I'm computer literate and I consider my English very good however when I read the instructions they are so broken and shallow although they are very confusing and no in-depth, not easy to understand, so that's why I'm here. So, to re-phrase my issue or problem is simple:

How do I block all programs from internet access and have each one to ask permition if they want to 'touch' or use the internet?

(Nor I found helpful this forum as no one has asked this exact question)

Thank you!
    PWA
    ~~ snip ~~

My info: Zone Alarm Pro 9.1.008.000/ Widows XP SP2/
    Last edited by fax; January 19th, 2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: e-mail against forum rules

Default Re: How to set 'rules' simplified?

The below described is the most radical solution...

1. Set Program Control to MAX
    2. UNcheck "Enable Microsoft Catalogue Utilization"
    3. Set Smartadvisor to OFF
    4. Go to ZA program control --> Programs --> Select ALL (shift first/last) --> Right click --> Remove
    5. Shutdown ZA, wait 20 second. Re-open.... and GOOD LUCK

Now be ready to get flooded by pop-ups...

IMO, rather a useless exercise since the marginal security benefits will be largely outweighed by inconvenience of answering to each pop-up. A feasible approach with system and OS of the last decade but not now.

Otherwise you could simply set the programs to '?' (under internet) after having done 1,2 and 3.

If you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information