Thread: ZA Free 9.1 blocks IPv6

silvrdrgn Guest

Default ZA Free 9.1 blocks IPv6

Using the Free version of ZA 9.1.007 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It appears to block IPv6 access, which interferes with connecting to Homegroup between machine. Yes, I have searched, and I've seen this thread -

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...98&postcount=5

I have gone to the ZA Free "Firewall" section --> Main --> advanced button, but there is no tick/checkmark for IPv6.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Default Re: ZA Free 9.1 blocks IPv6

Quote Originally Posted by silvrdrgn View Post
    Using the Free version of ZA 9.1.007 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It appears to block IPv6 access, which interferes with connecting to Homegroup between machine. Yes, I have searched, and I've seen this thread -

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...98&postcount=5

I have gone to the ZA Free "Firewall" section --> Main --> advanced button, but there is no tick/checkmark for IPv6.

Please advise.

Thanks!

I'm Sorry to hear that,
    But Oviously there are a few Dis-advantages to using the FREE version,
    This is one of them..

All of the 4 Paid version (ZA Pro, ZA Av, ZA Suite and ZA Extreme Security) have the option to enable iP6 support..

You may want to take avantage of the FRee 30 Trial of any of the Four Paid version to see if that works better for you?

==================
    Step 1. Run

Click the Run button and follow the onscreen instructions

Step 2. Install

The fastest security install around –
    you'll be up and running in a few minutes

Vista users will have 2 additional permission buttons to click

Step 3. Set-Up

Choose your set-up options

The simplest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZAP http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html
    ZAAV http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ZAXS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zaxs/releaseHistory.html
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nkolvek Guest

Default Re: ZA Free 9.1 blocks IPv6

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    I'm Sorry to hear that,
    But Oviously there are a few Dis-advantages to using the FREE version,
    This is one of them..

All of the 4 Paid version (ZA Pro, ZA Av, ZA Suite and ZA Extreme Security) have the option to enable iP6 support..

You may want to take avantage of the FRee 30 Trial of any of the Four Paid version to see if that works better for you?
    I hate to sound like some kind of jerk george but honestly this option should not be removed from the free version since most homes today have more than 1 computer. Really, I mean google it if you want, I dont really have to since I have worked for shops most of my working life.

the difference in the payware versions should only be the extra options such as anti-malware, anti-spyware ie extreme security/za pro etc. etc.

Freeware = basic options, which it has. Dont get me wrong but if the client software is designed for home use as only a firewall knowing that most homes today, have more than 1 computer... Core network features should really not be left out from even the free version since it will affect vast amounts of potential customers that might buy a premium version because they want the extra features they know will work, not just buy it for 1 option alone and then be stuck having to install and disable **** they dont want on there machine because it's inadequate enough protection or whatever.

I personally could dump a whole shop of customers on you that if forced to pay for it only to get the home group working on there machines then there not going to buy it and most likely won't even consider the premium version for fear of having to pay for... something else that wont work later. Given the current economy and your response to him, that was pretty sh*** if you ask me.

I myself have to uninstall za (any version) from my home machine (64bit) because it still doesnt work right and causes random bsods and some really odd behavior I am now noticing..imo if they cant even fix that for a stable version on a 64 bit os, im outie then since ive been a ZA user for at least 10 years now and was never dissapointed till now.

If you were to tell me I had to buy a premium version just to fix that I'd stop using this software in a heartbeat and would go back to my firebox hardware firewall. I'm most certainly not downgrading my OS and handicap my system just for that. I'll stop using and recommending the software period. May seem insignificant to the company but thats still lost potential revenue from myself and anyone in our city with a computer and I live in central florida.

It's just home group access, an improved network neighborhood if you will. not malware protection, or wifi protection, or AV or email scanning or. you see where im going with that..

impliment ipv6, Its not like asking for specialized protection features for free. nothing that requires updates. Just a network control feature. Keep in mind IPv6 was designed because we are running close to the end of current IPv4's IP limitations and why? Because nearly every home has more than 1 computer. well, not every home, realistically more like the largest part of the worlds population.
    Last edited by nkolvek; April 14th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Thread Information