Thread: Locked Out of Windows - ForceField keylogger issue

goffyzig Guest

Default Locked Out of Windows - ForceField keylogger issue

I installed ZA Extreme 9.1.008 last week on my Windows Vista SP2 laptop. Ever since, when I leave the computer on overnight and I come back the next morning, my user password is rejected!!! I have always left it on overnight and have NEVER had this issue before, until I installed ZA Extreme. I type the password correctly over and over (its a very simple one) and it says wrong password. Something has changed with the way Windows authentication is done upon logon to my machine (after I've been away from it for hours). If I reboot my password is once again accepted. WHAT IS GOING ON ZONE ALARM?

Default Re: Locked Out of Windows!!!

here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...23&postcount=2

Please report to ZA technical support. Link in my signature.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

goffyzig Guest

Thanks for the reply, FAX, very kind of you. I did as you said, here's the transcript of the chat, names changed of course. I am trying that now, we'll see if the problem crops up again (have to wait a while to see if it returns). We'll see what happens!

ME.: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.1.008.000 TrueVector version:9.1.008.000 Driver version:9.1.008.000 Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42 Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1010188352 AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383 ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.53.4 ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.85 ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0 ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.055

ZA-SUPPORT: Thanks
    ZA-SUPPORT: You may just have corrupted settings left over from an earlier version of ZoneAlarm. I recommend trying the following instructions to reset ZoneAlarm to see if it resolves your issue:
    ZA-SUPPORT:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    ZA-SUPPORT: 2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    ZA-SUPPORT: 3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    ZA-SUPPORT: 4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    ZA-SUPPORT: 5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    ZA-SUPPORT: 6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

ME: i never had ZA before this install
    ME: ok, but if i do that, i will lose this session right?

ZA-SUPPORT: Yes, unfortunately we will be disconnected.

ME: this is the equivalent of "reboot your box" to fix it? i believe this is a serious bug

Thanks, but no need to report this here.
    Support should be notified that the forcefield keylogger feature breaks licit system functions. More reports more likely they will look into it.

Fax

goffyzig Guest

Well, after all that it happened again. I was locked out of windows, my password was not accepted EVER. It was repeatable, has happened twice today! So I did everything the support did and still the problem repeats. One bit of good news: figured out a workaround for my Windows Vista HomePremium SP2: select/open the alternative access thing (for disabled etc.) on the logon screen (on mine its an icon on the left bottom screen), and select to type the keyboard using the mouse instead of the actual keyboard, so a virtual keyboard appears and I can type the password, and it accepts it!!! Once I'm in, the FIRST thing I do is open Notepad, and type the password, and the letters are all normal!!?? So the characters have not changed, they are normal. Another thread alluded to the keyboard characters changing during a similar problem. Anyway, just wanted to say that this issue persists, and I wonder how it might affect other authentication related software if Zone Alarm can do this to the operating system....

Quote Originally Posted by goffyzig View Post
    Anyway, just wanted to say that this issue persists, and I wonder how it might affect other authentication related software if Zone Alarm can do this to the operating system....
    No use to keep posting here, support does not read this board
    You have to report back to support that what suggested did NOT work and explain them exactly how to replicate the issue. They must be aware of the problem.

Cheers,
    Fax

Harold1 Guest

I have now been locked out of Windows 3 times (two different computers)within days of "upgrading" to Zone Alarm Extreme Security. One PC runs Vista, the other runs XP. When I restart the probelm does not continue.

I've also noticed that if I check for updates manually, the software claims it has downloaded an update and is now up to date, even if the previous check was minutes before.

Hi!

this seems resolved in latest beta 9.1.118.000. If you do not want to wait several weeks for the new version use the beta.
    Very stable... www.zonealarm.com/beta

If you do not feel to use the beta then simply turn off ZAE's anti-KeyLogger function under Browser Security > ForceField > Settings > Advanced and turning off the "Block programs that secretly record your keystrokes".

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 1st, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Thread Information