Thread: Two Trojans I can't delete

slp Guest

Default Two Trojans I can't delete

Scanning my computer today found two Trojans:
    win32.hot-*** (location c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10c.ocx
    win32.kbljx.cn (location c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10c.ex e

If I quarantine them, they reappear straight away again next scan (after re-booting).
    If I delete them from the quarantine file, they also reappear straight away again next scan.

I have tried turning off System Restore, then re-booting, but this hasn't helped.

I can't find any information on these trojans anywhere.

I haven't knowingly updated any programs lately, but I did have to turn off ZASS temporarily yesterday to access a government website that always freezes and/or doesn't display properly if I run it whilst running ZASS.

I am running Windows XP Pro, SP3.
    ZASS v 8.0.059.000
    True Vector v 8.0.059.000
    Driver v 8.0.059.000
    Anti-spyware engine v 5.0.202.0
    DAT v 01.201001.7065

Does anyone have any knowledge about these trojans?

Thanks,
    Sandra

Default Re: Two Trojans I can't delete

Hi Sandra,
    unfortunately ZAPRO 8 is not supported anymore. The spyware engine have been phased out and not more fixes or updates are planned. What you mention is likely a false positive.

If you have a valid license you can update free to the latest version 9.
    www.zonealarm.com/zapdownload/

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

slp Guest

Thanks Fax.

It is actually Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite I am running, not ZA Pro.

Anyhow, I thought maybe it was time to upgrade to the latest version, 9.1. I still have 208 days of subscription left. I have tried to download the upgrade off both the US and Australian site, but each time after clicking on "Download", I get an error message that "The website declined to show this webpage. Most likely causes are The website requires you to log in" (Error HTTP 403). This happens even if I am clicking on "upgrade" from inside the ZAISS program.

Do I really have to log in somehow, or is this nasty little trojan thing stopping me from accessing the upgrade?

Sandra

Hi!
    yes, the same applies to ZA Security suite. You have a unified engine covering both virus and spyware in new version 9 as compared to two different engines in version 8.

Direct link to latest ZA Suite version here.

Shutdown your current version of ZA before updating to the latest. And when requested its better you do NOT keep the current ZA settings but you start fresh. This is the best approach when moving up to major revisions (7 to 8 to 9).

For the changes in the current ZA Suite 9 please see here upwards.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 21st, 2010 at 04:11 AM.

slp Guest

How curious.... Before I got your post, Fax, I downloaded the latest version of ZAISS 9.1.008 using my laptop, then brought it across to my desktop and installed it. I don't remember it giving me the option of doing a clean install (ie. not keeping my settings) - it just kept them all. And I didn't shut down the old version first, so I've done heaps of things wrong! (Is it possible to clean out settings without doing an uninstall/reinstall?)

However, the two mysterious Trojans have disappeared. I followed the instructions in the "Malware Clean-up Guidance" post, starting ZAISS in safe mode etc. When I scanned for the first time, the trojans were gone, never to be seen since. I have also downloaded Super AntiSpyware and scanned with this, which also didn't find them.

Hopefully my problem has been solved, although where the trojans have gone is a mystery. Is it possible they are still hiding?

Thanks for your help with this, Fax.

Sandra

NO problem! What you did works 99% of the times. Mine was more a precaucionary approach to avoid any potential problem.
    The two famous trojans are simply false positives due to the old ZA engine. i.e. they are not trojan

Cheers,
    Fax
    P.S. Watch out that eveything runs ok, especially that ZA updates the antivirus signature automatically. If not... you may need to reinstall without keeping the settings.

slp Guest

Smile Re: Two Trojans I can't delete

Shall do!

Have a great day.

Regards,
    Sandra

The same to you!

Cheers,