Thread: Scan stuck at 0%

pandapoi Guest

Default Scan stuck at 0%

Hi there. I'm having a problem with ZA Extreme Security.

When I run a scan, it doesn't progress further than 0%.
    It doesn't list any files as being scanned, but it shows the elapsed time.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled from my original download of the product.
    I have done a complete uninstall using the uninstaller link and redownloaded the product and I'm still having this problem. I haven't yet tried to reset, but I'm wondering what other possible solutions are out there.

Is this necessarily a problem with ZA? I doubt the download could have been bad several times in a row. There are no other conflicting antivirus programs installed on my computer. Vista sp1 32bit. I need to know why the scan won't proceed, and I need to know how to fix it. Please.

Default Re: Scan stuck at 0%

HI!
    please try some of the steps suggested here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

If no solution works you should contact the official ZA support (its free for registered users). Link to support in my signature (they are closed on weekends)

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pandapoi Guest

Forgive my obvious frustration, Fax, but you happen to be in the line of fire here. I've been all over this forum, and it seems like few people are having such a problem. Like I said, I still have yet to try out some of the solutions, but the last thing anybody wants from somebody who calls themselves a guru is a reply to their post containing a link to the forum they posted in in the first place. How about some actual advice? You obviously didn't mind taking the time to reply and give me a link, so take the time and give me some help.

Now. Does anybody out there have an actual solution?

Sorry to hear my suggestions were not helpful.

If no solution in the link helped you should report the problems to ZA technical support.
    ZA official support is the only one able to log, troubleshoot and eventually escalate the issue if not resolved. It is however essential you follow all their suggestions and keep coming back to them is they do not resolve the issue.

Also note that ZA staff does not monitor this board. We are all users in here.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 23rd, 2010 at 01:35 AM.

captgreasygrime Guest

Thumbs up Re: Scan stuck at 0%

PandaPoi,

I am so glad that I came across this post. Until now I thought I was the only one having this problem. I am hoping that you come across my reply as you seem as frustrated as I do. Also hoping this may help you.

Regardless of whether or not I set Zone Alarm to auto scan or attempt a manual scan the result remains the same-Items scanned=0%. The scan status never reflects that any data have been scanned. Each time a scan begins I hear the hard drive "spin up" but within less than a minute the hard drive stops spinning and that is it. One time ZA scan ran for 55:31 hours/minutes and never completed the scan. It is running right now as I write this and has been doing so for 10:08:23 hours/minutes/seconds "MARK" and the progress is listed as 0%. Additionally, once a scan begins I cannot stop it manually. The cancel button is useless. I have even tried to stop it via the task manager under the applications as well as the processes tabs. The only thing that stops it from continuing the attempted scan is a reboot of the computer.

My operating system is XP Pro SP3 fully updated via windows update. I have no other firewall/antivirus/anti-spyware software running on my system and eventually during the course of trouble shooting I completely disabled windows firewall thinking maybe it was conflicting-no change. Yes... I am behind a router and no I am not leaving my computer on other than to troubleshoot or write this. No I am not doing any banking etc on it at the moment. I have scanned my system with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and GMER the only flags relating to the windows firewall, antivirus monitoring, and updates services being disabled (which of course I am responsible for). Below reflects what I saw in the ZASS product info at that time:

Zone Alarm Security Suite version 9.1.008.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.1.008.000
    Driver version 9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.2.42
    DAT file version 0
    Anti-Spam version 6.0.0.2383

I completely removed ZASS 9.1.008.000 from my computer using the CPES tool and going into the registry and killing anything ZA related. I even removed the registration info so I would have to re-enter my license key. I then installed, updated and scanned with an older version of ZASS 80.298.035. Both in windows normal and safe mode (networking enabled). I used deep scanning mode for both. Normal windows mode showed nothing. The windows safe mode ZASS scan showed a CONFLICT.1\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER.exe as a medium threat and I quarantined it. I then ran Malware bytes and GMER both in WINDOWS normal and safe mode neither of them flagged a thing. I then updated (fresh download) back to ZASS 9.1.008.00 and looked at the product info. Below reflects what I saw:

Zone Alarm Security Suite version 9.1.008.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.1.008.000
    Driver version 9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.2.42
    DAT file version 1010809845
    Anti-Spam version 6.0.0.2383

I thought, great now I have a DAT File version listed. A scan should work…right?
    WRONG! It is still doing the same thing! Never goes past 0% and never lists any items as being scanned. I then tried a reset of the ZA software…NADA!

Now interestingly enough I have two almost Identical systems both custom builds and not cheap **** and both running XP PRO SP3. They have the same CPU, RAM, and MOTHERBOARD! ZASS 9.1.008.000 works great on the other one but not this one. I am also running 9.1.008.000 on my laptop with no problems. I am not a risky browser visiting sites of ill repute etc and somewhat of a hermit so I hardly ever get mail from anyone and I never open mail from someone I don’t know well. Equally as puzzling, at one point I attempted to log on under the additional administrative account that pops up during safeboot mode. I WAS LOCKED OUT OF IT! I HAD TO UNLOCK THE ACCOUNT AND CREATE ANOTHER PASSWORD USING SOFTWARE TO DO SO. UNLESS I HEAR AN EXPLANATION THAT LEAVES NO DOUBT I AM GOING TO REFORMATT. MAKES ME NERVOUS WITH ALL THE ROOTKIT **** GOING ON.

TOO MUCH FOR THIS FORUM? ANY IDEAS? I’VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AT ALL WITH ZASS (WITH ONE EXCEPTION) UNTIL UPDATING TO 9.1.008.000. THANKS FOR LISTENING.

BEST REGARDS,

THE CAPT

garywa Guest

CAPT,

"TOO MUCH FOR THIS FORUM?" It just may be, which is why Guru fax steered PandaPoi to tech support.

As you stated in your own situation, its only happening on 1 out of 3 PCs you have. I am running ZASS 9.1.008.000 on 2 WinXP Pro SP3 PCs myself and have never had the problem you two describe. So, its hard for me to offer suggestions. It sounds like you have already done everything I would have tried.

There are debug capabilities built in to ZASS, but you need to engage tech support. I, for one user, cannot read or interpret the debug logs. That takes tech support.

If you can engage tech support, they will have you set the debug parameters and then upload the log files for examination. I went through that process a couple years ago for a different problem.

Good Luck!

captgreasygrime Guest

Garywa,

Thanks for the quick reply,

I just discovered this as well

The problem computer reports a DAT file version 1010809845

My other desktop system DAT file version 1010897760
    My laptop reports DAT file version 1010897760

and the last two run scans just fine.

I will check out the debug options and contact ZA support or I will reformatt not sure which at the moment. Thanks Gary. I will post the results either way to this thread.

Thanks,

THE CAPTAIN

captgreasygrime Guest

Ok guys and gals here is what you've been waiting for.....I decided before contacting ZA technical support to reformat and see what happened.

I completely wiped the drive so that there would be no way that anything could interfere with a fresh re-install of windows XP. I thought for sure that would work. Guess what .....it didn't

~~ off topic ~~
    Last edited by fax; February 23rd, 2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: offtopic

Please keep on topic. This is a USER forum related to ZA products issues. Its a USER to USER help to solve common problems. This forum cannot replace ZA official support. This forums is not about posting logs or personal discussion with ZA support, not for arguing about what ZA should or should not do.

Other off topic posts will removed without further notice.

I thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

captgreasygrime Guest

A solution for me at last!!!!!

I downloaded and installed the newest version of ZASS (9.1.507.000) last night with the same result- scan stuck at 0%. Both of my other computers downloaded and installed the newest version with, from what I could tell, no problems whatsoever.

I remembered the scan seemed to always say in the beggining on the two that worked just fine that it is " currently scanning memory, boot," etc. So I though hmm I wonder if it might be a component causing the scan hang.

The only difference in my two desktops is that one of them has a Killer NIC Networking card. I uninstalled the networking card and what do you know; I rebooted the system and THE SCAN WORKED!

I let the scan complete, reinstalled the Killer card, rebooted, and the scan hung again at 0%. So I went looking for new Killer drivers-no pun intented. Sure enough, I found not only new drivers but the driver install program updated the FIRMWARE of my Killer NIC Card. After installing the new Killer driver set with integrated firmware update I have had no more problems with the scans sticking at 0%. I had thought the Killer software suite was set to auto update but when I looked at it the box was unchecked.

Check ALL of your drivers and firmware boys and girls. Don't assume an automated update has taken place. I hope this helps you guys fix your problem or at least eliminate something from your checklist.

THE CAPT

Thread Information