Thread: ZA does not work --assistance needed

kconley Guest

Post ZA does not work --assistance needed

About a week ago I opened my free zonealarm firewall and found a blank user interface. I found the topic about that on the forums and did the clean install.

My main issue is that BEFORE I got the blank UI screen, the free firewall would properly block microsoft programs per my settings (I had it set to ask). Since I reinstalled, the free firewall will NOT "ask" when it comes to the microsoft programs--specifically IE.

I checked the forums again and found a post where it is stated that in order to guarantee both inbound and outbound protection of microsoft programs, you need the paid version of the firewall.

I actually ended up with the wrong product--I got the security suite rather than just pro; however, it STILL allows ALL microsoft programs and will not ASK even when I set it to ASK in both the trust level and access columns. Additionally, I HATE HATE HATE this security suite.

Bottom line: how do I get the free firewall to work like it did before the blank UI situation?

I have tried system restore and that has not worked. I also should add that I have used CCleaner to clean up any old registry items having to do with having uninstalled and reinstalled ZA products multiple times in the last 2 days. I also printed and followed the manual uninstall instructions from the forums just to be absolutely sure I was starting with a clean slate before installed this horrid security suite.

Sorry for the novel but can someone PLEASE help me get back to my properly working free firewall. I am at my wits end here
    Last edited by fax; January 23rd, 2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: title

kconley Guest

Exclamation Re: ZA does not work --assistance needed

What?! I'm not allowed to be extremely disgusted????????

Guess what

i'm even more extremely disgusted now that you changed my title!

Default Re: ZA does not work --assistance needed

Quote Originally Posted by kconley View Post

Guess what

Please Read the Za Terms of Use Policy that you agreed to when you Registered on this Forum..

http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showthread.php?t=39465
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Guess what

Please Remember, Your using the FREE Basic version with NO Support other than Users comments in this Forum..
    GeorgeV

kconley Guest

You need to learn to read.

I "had" the free version but I BOUGHT the security suite which still has the exact same issue as the free version.

Post Re: ZA does not work --assistance needed

You need to learn to read.

I "had" the free version but I BOUGHT the security suite which still has the exact same issue as the free version.
    I'm Sorry to hear my suggestions were not helpful.

Please Report the details of your problem Directly to Tech Support.

ZA official support is the only one able to log, troubleshoot and eventually escalate the issue if not resolved to the Developers.

It is however essential that you follow all their suggestions and keep coming back to Tech Support if they do not resolve the issue.

Also Please note that ZA staff does not monitor this board. We are all users in here.
    GeorgeV

Of course you are allowed
    But the title should resemble, as much as possible, your ZA issue and not your personal feelings.
    This is to help other volunteers here to easily understand your issue and try to assist you.

Impolite or rude messages are usually ignored by the community.

If the issue is that you cannot remove ZA please use their removal tool, here.
    If the issue is that ZAfree don't ask for Microsoft programs. Please check this board, this has been posted many times. Other users have noticed the same with the latest version.
    You could try ZA version 8. Here
    If you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support. Link in my signature.

If you will happen to post more messages please try to stick to the point and be as clear as possible in a way that other users will understand it.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 23rd, 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

kconley Guest

Hallelujah!

I fixed my issue and thankfully was able to go back to the free version of ZA though I did have to use an older version.

Thought I would post what I learned in case anyone else is having the same issues as I was.

After contacting tech support for my paid version of security suite I learned that in the new version there was a new feature called Microsoft Catalog Utilization that was enabled by default. That feature allows legitimate Windows services and programs to run so that customers don't keep getting alerts about them.

Of course they don't support the free firewall but given the problem I was having with the free firewall automatically allowing windows programs, I would say that this new "feature" is inherent in the free version. You cannot change it.

If you have a paid version of the firewall and want to turn off the Microsoft Catalog Utilization, follow these steps:

Open ZoneAlarm
    Click Program Control on the left
    Click the Custom button beside Program Control
    UN-check 'Enable Microsoft Catalog Utilization'

I did do this before trashing the program I bought and it does work.

If you want a version of ZA FREE firewall that does not have (from what I have seen) the automatic Microsoft Catalog Utilization, use version 8.0.298.000 and do NOT let it update. That version can be found here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Thread Information