Thread: Windows 7 x64 BSOD and Crash

carlitobrigante Guest

Default Windows 7 x64 BSOD and Crash

I've been using the free version of ZA for at least a decade, with only good things to say about it. So, when we got out new 64-bit Windows 7 machine, one of the first things I did was head to the ZA website and download it.

When I went to install it, however, my computer crashed. My machine froze and and stopped responding to the keyboard and mouse. I had to manually reboot only to login to my user account and have no internet access--presumably because ZA was running unseen and un-configured and blocking internet access. I could ping my router and I could ping a web address, but my browsers (I have Chrome, IE, and FF) would just return 404 errors. I tried reinstalling the program only to have it tell me it could not close the CURRENT version on my machine.

I then encountered a BSOD ahd an automatic reboot. From that point on, logging in merely froze my machine cold. So, I booted to safe mode and reinstalled ZA, assuming a bad installation was to blame. After success I rebooted only to have still have no internet and no evidence of ZA's presence and an eventual crash. I finally resolved the issue by booting to safe mode, uninstalling ZA from my machine, and rebooting to normality.

So, unless I can figure out a simple explanation for why this is happening, I am ready to give up. Must I disable Windows Firewall prior to installation? Could it be a conflict with my antivirus? (I am running Microsoft Security Essentials)? I'm hesitant to try another install for fear that next time it might mess up my system to the point where I have to do a clean OS install.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Windows 7 x64 BSOD and Crash

Quote Originally Posted by carlitobrigante View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials)?
    Yes, this is it most probably. Several users have reported here that MSE does not play well with ZA and creates problems.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

carlitobrigante Guest

Is the problem that MS_SE was running during the installation? OR is the problem in getting ZA and MS_SE to run on the same computer at all?

I had both programs running together fine on my XP machine. So, that simply leads me to believe that the problem is either something with the install, or the third variable: Win7x64.

The two running together...

Fax

carlitobrigante Guest

Unhappy Re: Windows 7 x64 BSOD and Crash

Well, like I said, I had both programs running together on an XP system with no problems at all. I don't understand why, if the problem is the two programs coexisting at all, that I should have had no problems do this in an XP environment but catastrophic system crashes on install in a Windows 7 environment.

~~ snip ~~
    Last edited by fax; January 22nd, 2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: off topic removed

I am very sorry but we are all users in here. ZA staff does not monitor this board. I have given you the information other users have channeled in here in the past weeks. I can't do more... may be other users have better ideas? Apparently not, considering the feedback received to your post.

Unfortunately there is no support for ZA free products. I have removed some text simply off topic in here. We are just a user ZA product support forum to help each other on ZA product related issues. We do not enter in judgments or company policy.

Again sorry,
    Fax

bf200 Guest

This may help. I spent a good hour with ZA tech support today. Still no joy.
    Still working on a fix.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-dce7ddf5af73/

Thread Information