Thread: Does 9.1.507.000 fix the memory leak?

Pkit Guest

Question Does 9.1.507.000 fix the memory leak?

Does ZoneAlarm Pro 9.1.507.000 fix the really bad kernel memory leak that existed in 9.1.008.000?

The release notes don't make any mention of it.

Default Re: Does 9.1.507.000 fix the memory leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Pkit View Post
    Does ZoneAlarm Pro 9.1.507.000 fix the really bad kernel memory leak that existed in 9.1.008.000?

The release notes don't make any mention of it.
    I am not aware of any generalised leak problem of ZAPRO 9.1.008.000. ZAPRO is actually installed in thousands of system without any problem. I am afraid that the only way to test it is to try it.

You may also want to check directly ZA staff (link in my signature) since here we are all users

Sorry.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Pkit Guest

ZA Pro 9.1.008.000 had a very bad kernel memory leak related to the number of connections open and the data throughput through those connections. The more traffic passed (such as if you're downloading several GB of data), the less free memory the O/S had.

If you were doing heavy downloading, you could find your O/S crashed after several hours as all the free memory got eaten up. And, as this was a kernel memory leak, closing and restarting ZoneAlarm would not fix it. The only way to restore free memory was to reboot the O/S. This is completely seperate from the memory leak caused by the Debug Level.

This was reported by multiple users to tech support, so they had better be aware of it.

Is there anyone who experienced this in 9.1.008.000 and can tell me if 9.1.507.000 fixes this or not?

Sorry no idea about it, I have tested ZA under heavy load and never had any problem
    Must be linked to specific setting or hardware incompatibility (network card).

Hello,

There was no bug fixed for such a memory leak in the latest version, I just checked the bug list.

Only advise I can give you is try the latest version and if you still have an issue, then WAIT until the next beta begins for the paid products and participate in the beta to report such an issue.

Thats way you get to send your issue directly to Dev.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Pkit Guest

That's a real shame.

I understand your point about the beta's, but this issue was reported multiple times, and it's a serious one (even though it may not affect everyone). It should have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkit View Post
    I understand your point about the beta's, but this issue was reported multiple times, and it's a serious one (even though it may not affect everyone). It should have been fixed.
    Probably not reported with enough data/logs to allow for a fix.
    If you really are interested in fixing it then please report it during a future beta.

The real shame is that many of the reports here are not properly followed up with ZA support/development. This makes the fix practically impossible

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Hello,

Well reporting a issue and being able to re-produce it are completely different.

If this was a bug every user had we would be able to re-produce it internally very easily.

We have a specific QA team who's sole purpose is to QA only for memory leaks and nothing like this leak you described was found at all.

If we cant reproduce a memory leak its impossible to fix.

Also what do you mean report it? Posting to the forum is not reporting it.

If you have a paid product in good subscription standing and your running the latest version (we dont accept reports on older versions) and troubleshooting it with Live chat support and its not fixable they will request you upload dumps and logs to bug the issue.

But that was not done since there was no bug filed for this specific memory leak.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information