Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WORKAROUND] Windows 7 BSOD --> Disable NetBios over TCP (TCP/IPv4)

ShekMan Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] Windows 7 BSOD --> Disable NetBios over TCP (TCP/IPv4)

I can confirm a similar experience.

I was having mutilple, seemingly random blue screens (BSOD) on a new Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit desktop with Zone Alarm ES installed.

I was receiving frequent BSODs with stop error UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f) alternating with stop error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f).

In the case of the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f) the Windows Debugger seemed to indicate a probelm with NETIO.SYS

In the case of the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) WinDbg indicated an issue with Rt64win7.sys , which is the driver for my REALTEK PCIe GBE Family Network Controller (NIC).

I checked, and the drivers for the REALTEK NIC seem to be up to date.

The remedy I found was to completely uninstall Zone Alarm.

Since uninstalling Zone Alarm, I have not experienced another BSOD.
    Last edited by fax; March 2nd, 2010 at 07:50 AM.

thom_little Guest

Default Re: Windows 7 BSOD

I am fgoiong through the same process. The majority of the BSODs taht I got were 9F-3 (see my other thread) on Windows 7.

ZA Tech Support had me uninstal ZA for three days and see if the ptoblems continued. I am about 8 hours into that now without a a BSOD.

Did you contact ZA Tech Support?

... Thom

ShekMan Guest

I have not contacted ZA tech support.

However, I have beend running now for about five days without any more BSODs.

I have been using the Windows Firewall and MS Security Essentials instead for the mean time.

However, I am considering doing a fresh re-install of ZA to see what happens...

pakled Guest

i've had the BSOD 7f on a brand new laptop running Zone Alarm Extreme Security since shortly after i got the laptop in Dec 09. sometimes it could happen several times a day, sometimes only 1 or 2 times a week. as per the error, i thought the memory was bad or mismatched but all tests show it's fine.

i reinstalled the OS (Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit) just to eliminate that variable. then i installed the current ZoneAlarm beta but the 7f BSOD still persisted. i HAVE contaced ZA tech support directly about this issue via the online beta form AND via FTP through ZA's diagnostic tool. Tech support has not gotten back to me in a week.

at first there wasn't much on the net about BSOD 0x0000007f online and i assumed something was wrong with my brand new laptop and scheduled it to go in for repair. in the time it took for all that to happen, more stuff cropped up on the net about the error and i found this article that explained people running Norton and Zone Alarm were having the same 0x7f issue i had.

The Fix:

the link above (which ultimately points to Norton's fix which then points to this microsoft page) suggested disabling NetBios on DHCP server (TCP/IPv4) as follows :

For Windows 7

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Under Network and Internet, click View network status and tasks.
    3. Click Change adapter settings.
    4. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    5. In the This connection uses the following items list, double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.
    6. Click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK three times.
    it's been 1 week since i disabled TCP/IPv4 and i haven't had a single 0x7f BSOD since (knock on wood.) so thus far, it would seem the articles i linked above are correct and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security does cause the BSOD 0x7f error.

anyone know the potential drawbacks or risks of disabling TCP/IPv4?? the drawback of leaving it enabled is more 7f errors, but i'd like to know what i disabled and why that matters. though obviously, the best solution would be for ZA to resolve this issue so TCP/IPv4 can be re-enabled.

~~ snip ~~

i mistakenly almost brought in a new laptop in for repair because of all this and hope this info helps someone else avoid the same mistake.
    Last edited by fax; February 26th, 2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Person/product disparage - Against forum rules

Thank you very much for your feedback related to windows 7 BSOD, you should report the same to the beta web form page (not here) since ZA development does not read these pages.

Sorry had to edit your post for violation of forum rules.
    Please note, development team rarely comes back to any bug report. This is normal.

Please note that any other comment outside ZA product issues will be removed without notice.
    In case of further abuse I will need to close the thread.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 26th, 2010 at 07:05 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pakled Guest

understood. i'm happy with how it reds now. and yes, i did submit the beta form as well.

does anyone know the repercussions of disabling TCP/IPv4??
    Last edited by fax; February 26th, 2010 at 07:20 AM.

You mean NETBIOS over TCP?
    Disabling TCP/IP will kill your connection. Disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP will have no evident effect. It was even suggested (once upon a time!) to avoid certain malware infections taking advantage of OS vulnerabilities.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 26th, 2010 at 07:26 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

pakled Guest

yes, NetBios over TCP (v4 to be precise) -- so it sounds like it's safe to do. though i dont understand why that fixed my 7f BSOD.

i like the idea that disabling it stops certain malware.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    You mean NETBIOS over TCP?
    Disabling TCP/IP will kill your connection. Disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP will have no evident effect. It was even suggested (once upon a time!) to avoid certain malware infections taking advantage of OS vulnerabilities.

Cheers,
    Fax

farmerbeans Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pakled View Post
    i've had the BSOD 7f on a brand new laptop running Zone Alarm Extreme Security since shortly after i got the laptop in Dec 09. sometimes it could happen several times a day, sometimes only 1 or 2 times a week. as per the error, i thought the memory was bad or mismatched but all tests show it's fine.
    I've had the exact same issue; six BSOD 7f in 10 days on new, clean installed Dell laptop with two clear memory/hardware diagnostic tests.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your problem and a detailed fix!

Going to give it a try or uninstall ZA and see how I fare. I really didn't fancy thrashing it out with Dell seeing they have trouble just delivering their products, but there's only so much you can do.

Smile Re: Windows 7 BSOD

Please Contact ZA Tech Support If you have a Valid ZA License Key with Details of your Hardware, Software, Version of windows and what you were doing when the BSOD occured, and any Idea on how to Re-create the BSOD..

Whenever Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed that may be conflicting with ZoneAlarm.

Click on the Support link in my Signature..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 13th, 2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information