Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

  1. #1
    BobFuzzled Guest

    Default ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    I've been running ZA Free for several years and late last year received and accepted an offer to try ZA Pro. I have my license info. I have the downloaded SW (filename "zapSetup_90_136_en.exe").

    Before I installed, I thought it best to perform a Clean install instead of Upgrading over the existing. The Readme says I should be able to Backup my settings so I can then restore them on the new install. But there is no button for backup on the Overview\Preferences tab as the Readme describes.

    From the About dialog my installed version is "ZoneAlarm version:8.0.298.000". Machine is XP Pro SP3.

    (1) Is the Clean install the correct approach?
    (2) How can I backup my settings?
    (3) Where should I find the correct uninstallation procedure to avoid the problems that may otherwise occur if the proper procedure is not used?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Post Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    Quote Originally Posted by BobFuzzled View Post
    I've been running ZA Free for several years and late last year received and accepted an offer to try ZA Pro. I have my license info. I have the downloaded SW (filename "zapSetup_90_136_en.exe").

    Before I installed, I thought it best to perform a Clean install instead of Upgrading over the existing. The Readme says I should be able to Backup my settings so I can then restore them on the new install. But there is no button for backup on the Overview\Preferences tab as the Readme describes.

    From the About dialog my installed version is "ZoneAlarm version:8.0.298.000". Machine is XP Pro SP3.

    (1) Is the Clean install the correct approach?
    (2) How can I backup my settings?
    (3) Where should I find the correct uninstallation procedure to avoid the problems that may otherwise occur if the proper procedure is not used?

    Thanks in advance.
    1.) Clean install is correct..

    Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

    2.) there is NO BACKUP Feature on the ZA FREE Version..
    Plus if you do a Clean Install, you may be Corrupting that Clean Install from the Backed up setting from the Old install..

    3.) see Step one above..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    17,290

    Default Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    By the way, ZAPRO file you mention is OLD.
    Latest version is 9.1 here: www.zonealarm.com/zapdownload/

    Cheers,
    Fax

    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  4. #4
    BobFuzzled Guest

    Default Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    Thanks George and fax!

    I guess there is no way to print or export the program settings either???

    I'll have to manually go through the list to note settings that will need to be duplicated in the new install.

  5. #5
    BobFuzzled Guest

    Default Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    Also...

    Will my 1 year free license work with the newer ZA Pro 9.1?

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    Quote Originally Posted by BobFuzzled View Post
    Also...

    Will my 1 year free license work with the newer ZA Pro 9.1?

    Thanks again!
    Yes, provided the Free ZAPro License has not Expired?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    17,290

    Default Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    Quote Originally Posted by BobFuzzled View Post
    Thanks George and fax!

    I guess there is no way to print or export the program settings either???

    I'll have to manually go through the list to note settings that will need to be duplicated in the new install.
    Go to ZA Overview --> Preferences and backup your settings.
    You could restore them once updated.
    The above is only valid with retails versions of ZA.

    Yes, if you have a valid license you can update free of charge to any new ZA version.

    Cheers,
    Fax

    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  8. #8
    BobFuzzled Guest

    Default Re: ZA Pro Free Trial Install

    Thanks again George and fax.

    Since the ZA free doesn't have the backup feature, I'll just note the programs that need customized permissions.

    I'll try to get to the install later tonight and ring back if I have any problems (hopefully not!).

    Cheers!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •