Thread: Readable Site Names

GregJY Guest

Default Readable Site Names

Hi,
    I've been a loyal Zone Alarm SS user now for quite a few years and this is a suggestion rather than a question.

In Zone Alarm, Privacy, Site List I've become accustomed to setting more secure settings for Snooping Sites. That's easy enough if the site has a readable name with something like "ad" "image" "click" "stat" "farm" etc etc in the title, or a recognised snoop site such as doubleclick among many others. However I get fed up with sites which use only the four digit Hex numbers, or use an acronym which tells you nothing about the origin of the "snoop request". As a rule I try to completely block such sites, since most are not legitimate and are merely trying to hide their identity. However this is hindered by some legitimate sites also using just a Hex number or an acronym that is too brief to identify.

My suggestion is that Zone Alarm (and other Security software) should adopt a get tough approach on sites that wish to conceal their identity from users by simply and automatically giving such sites ZERO rights as standard.

This would produce problems where legitimate sites are being lazy and not allowing users easy access to their identity. People browsing their sites would get annoyed by having to edit such entries without any information to guide them. Some might complain to you. Some might complain to them.

If all Security software did the same I think that legitimate sites would change pretty quick to make things clearer for their users.

OK perhaps you don't like the idea of adopting that "get tough" approach on a global scale. You could allow more security conscious users a setting to do this themselves, rather than have to edit each one individually.

Editing each one individually is a chore I don't like, made worse by Zone Alarm's habit of forgetting security settings from time to time. But even if you do edit each one manually, by the time you do that you've already been logged by the snoopers at least once for the entry to appear at all! I want to deny them even that one log!

And no I don't want to go to the extreme of a global denying of permission to all sites unless edited. Lets's make it difficult for the Snoopers not for Zone Alarm Users!

One further problem for you would be that the Hex Numbers would be easy to identify as "Non Readable" but the acronyms would be harder. I don't know how that could be solved other than some kind of database of known "Unreadable" acronyms. You take this approach to many other security issues, so perhaps that would be the solution, unless you have a better idea.

Hope you like the idea or at least find it useful. Regards Greg

Default Re: Readable Site Names

Hi!
    ZA has removed any feature related to privacy and concentrated on security (i.e. the aim of the ZA tool)

The ZA privacy features has been replaced by a sandbox approach in ZA Extreme. The principle is: you do not need to block anything if you render it harmless. Much easier, safer and user friendly.

Please note that this is not a discussion board but a USER support forum on ZA issues. ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users.

Thank you,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

GregJY Guest

Hi fax,

thanks for your comments, but since ZA Extreem is only one version of the software that they are currently selling, then they have not YET "removed any feature related to privacy and concentrated on security".

My comments do not have reference to ZA Extreem, since that is NOT the software I am using. My suggestion for ZA Security Suite remains. I clearly stated that I was using Zone Alarm SS (Security Suite). OK I forgot to use the word "Internet".

~~ snip ~~
    Last edited by fax; January 29th, 2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: offtopic - non support related comments removed

I am very sorry but the ZA privacy control has been removed from ALL ZA line and is not supported anymore including in ZASS. Sorry to repeat but this forum is not monitored by ZA staff and posting suggestions here is of little (if any use). We are all users here. Please refer to this statement on ZA privacy control: HERE

I close this thread to avoid further abuse. Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if you need any product related support from other users.

Thank you

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by GregJY View Post
    Hi fax,

thanks for your comments, but since ZA Extreem is only one version of the software that they are currently selling, then they have not YET "removed any feature related to privacy and concentrated on security".

~~ SNIP~~

I have hunted fairly extensively for a means of feedback to ZA on their site and like a few software developers they don't seem to believe in making feedback easy. IE they have no feedback channel other than a paid for phone conversation. This was the last ditch attempt to "try to help".

I'm sorry that you did not like the responce that you got..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

I've read your Post, and I think your intent was to ASK that the PRIVACY Feature be RESTORED?

1.) HERE is the OFFICIAL Zone Alarm Post related to the Privacy Feature in ZA Security Suite and ALL other Retail version of Zone Alarm from NOW ON:

===========
    Note: To streamline in an age where web privacy controls are built into the most popular browsers and email attachment scanning is included in the major email applications, privacy controls and inbound MailSafe have been removed with this release.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...ml#9.1.008.000

2.) for a list of Contact methods for the Zone Alarm Product Support,
    All you had to do is go to www.zonealarm.com/support
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 16th, 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information